Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video bucket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about other cars. Other manufacturers started using lasers over 20 years ago. I don't know if they still use such systems, but I'm sure many of those cars are still on the road.
I use a Passport 9500. I rarely get a laser warning, and as far as I know, I've never gotten a false positive warning (although there have been a few times where I never did spot the source of the laser). If there were cars using lasers that confused the Passport detector, I'm sure I would know about it by now!

Las Vegas Strip

Sunday night we wewent to the Venetian to gt some Gelato and were heading back south to drop somone off at the Tropicana when a V12 SL65 BT AMG pulled up next to us at the stop bar.
Hehehe...4 people in the car, all windows down sunroof open. all season tires...

I think he was a little upset that his little coupe is so slow off the line
I had to look up that MB to see what it actually was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have a smart bomb?? I've never seen that part of the strip so devoid of any traffic.

It is funny, all week I have been getting lined up in pole position.
I think everyone was here for Memorial day. Pretty quiet now. Jewerly shows ended the night of that video and the last couple of days have been even quieter! Heading back to the cool coastal redwoods tomorrow,YAY!

If I didn't approach this intersection very slowly because of the stopped traffic and the silver Jeep (to the left) hanging way over the stop line, I would have been broadsided by this red-light runner in the far lane. You can even see that she has the red light in the video!

This is what makes an experienced driver. Knowing what potentially dangerous situations are and approaching them carefully. It's funny how I have become aware of so many of situations and automatically drive carefully without thinking about it. Teaching one of our teenagers how to drive makes me aware how many situations she doesn't see as dangerous yet and I'm sweating in the drivers seat :)

I wonder how the Auto Pilot Lane Keeping with Automatic Steering would have handled this:

Yes, that was a good-sized metal ladder in the middle of the highway.

Ladder.jpg

I called 911 and the operator thanked me and said they already knew about it and had someone en route to take care of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's exactly things like this is why I'm so bearish on truly autonomous driving or what Elon calls "on ramp to off ramp" driving. I doubt that autopilot would even detect that ladder and drive right over it, causing significant damage and risk of injury, but a human can see what it is long before the sensors do and take appropriate action, even if that means swerving into the shoulder or median a little bit.

I wonder how the Auto Pilot Lane Keeping with Automatic Steering would have handled this:

Yes, that was a good-sized metal ladder in the middle of the highway.

I called 911 and the operator thanked me and said they already knew about it and had someone en route to take care of it.

wow, I feel bad for the driver of the white Honda (or whatever it was) that hit the ladder and was stopped on the side of the road.