Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam video: my Tesla smacks armored truck while on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is: are there situations like that you can not blame the driver when it comes to an accident with AP turned on?
No. The driver is always supposed to be in control. AP is driver assistance, not the driver.

The one area where I might not fault the driver is in auto-parallel parking where you need to come so close to another car to actually be able to park that a human would not be able to react quickly enough to prevent the accident. Of course because of that I never use the auto-park.

...Seems like radar didn't pick it up until it was mostly in your lane (which makes sense with shape and radar position)...

My previous versions of AP2 couldn't handle a car cutting me off.

However, since 8.1 (2018.2), it has been very much improved such as an example below:

Although the radar had not registered the white Mercedes on the Instrument Clusters but it showed clearly that the car had applied brakes on its own (teal color icon means Autopilot and any manual actions of braking or steering would tun that icon off)

upload_2018-4-10_10-29-59.png

...makes ap pointless...

It has been very useful for me despite of its problems which are easily manually intervened each time.

I drive long distance a lot and I seldom have to manually intervene most of the time.

For example, I drove 200 miles and I only had to manually intervene twice on freeway (for failed auto lane change.)

Once I learned what works and what don't, it has been very relaxing from the start.

You are driving under good conditions with a moderate 20mph stop and go traffic. Tesla identified the car in the front, shows the car icon on the dash, and that car lets say it gently rolls to a stop. Can I be 100% certain that my Tesla will stop? If it does not and it bumps into the front car, is that okay? Do we still blame the driver?

Rather under what conditions can we say, AP should have handled it, and it is liable ?

Lets take a simple example to illustrate the point: When I put my gear in 'D' and press the accelerator I can be 100% certain that the car will go forward and not backwards. If it did go backwards then the car is at fault and you cannot blame the driver.

My question is: are there situations like that you can not blame the driver when it comes to an accident with AP turned on?

Under no case is Autopilot “expected” to handle a situation unsupervised and take the blame. At least not under any released versions of Autopilot.

The only case I can imagine Autopilot sharing some blame is if it suddenly put in a control that destabilized your car. For example, suddenly jerking the wheel in a split second causing traction loss. To date this has not happened. I think if a human has more than 1-2 seconds to react to prevent a situation, it is difficult to successfully blame a L2 ADAS.

In your example, cars actually sometimes do move backwards despite applying the gas. Your engine could stall, your transmission could malfunction, or you could be applying insufficient torque for a hill. In all of those cases, the fault would still be on the driver.

So, no. Unless the system severely malfunctions in a way that makes it impossible for the human driver to do anything, it is virtually inconceivable to blame Autopilot. That would be a spectacular story when it happens, but so far, that’s not been any documented Autopilot accident.

The only case I can imagine Autopilot sharing some blame is if it suddenly put in a control that destabilized your car. For example, suddenly jerking the wheel in a split second causing traction loss. To date this has not happened. I think if a human has more than 1-2 seconds to react to prevent a situation, it is difficult to successfully blame a L2 ADAS.

This sort of happened to a fellow here a while ago. AP dove toward a barrier, and he corrected with the wheel, but the added torque required to overcome AP2 (it can be very high based on my experience), caused an oversteer condition after AP let go and he lost control of the car at highway speeds. He luckily did not wreck, but Tesla's answer was AP acted within design and the rest was driver error.

Scary Experience with AP2.0 Autosteer on the Highway

I have had a few scary disengagements myself with AP2, and took my car to the service center to see if they could lower the AP break away torque on the wheel. I was told I was using AP incorrectly, and that you are supposed to disengage with the stalk or brake not the wheel :rolleyes:

Reactions: redy and Sandollars
what?? transmission and engine could fail and the driver is liable? Hmmm...

But I agree with everything else you said..
The line before is critical
In your example, cars actually sometimes do move backwards despite applying the gas.

Sure, if they burnt up the clutch using it to hold the car in place, or stalled it and rolled backward, those are legit on the driver. Even if the trans blew, no reason to roll backwards into someone else. (Though if it lost the pump while stopped, then rolled while moving their foot from brake to throttle, that can be forgiven ;))

I'm having a difficult time understanding why improper use of the autopilot system has rattled your confidence in Tesla. The slow pace of travel, and plenty of space available to the truck tells me there adequate time to take control and avoid the collision. Fortunately a lesson learned at slow speed unlike others who recently lost their lives when using the system outside of its current capacity. Be thankful for the second chance.

You're absolutely right. I was not an attentive driver and was not watching the road, and hence the accident happened. I take full responsibility. No question about that. That doesn't change the fact that Autopilot is designed to detect a car moving into your lane and react accordingly, and it performed that task admirably well hundreds of times in the year and a half I've owned the car, and now a little rain blinded the radar so that it could no longer see other cars? That's just nonsense!

So how much damage was done by hitting an armored truck?

Quite a bit, since my car hit his bumper at an angle. Here's a closeup. It's around $5k of damage, I believe. The shop replaced the hood, bumper, fender, and some stuff under the bumper.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and MP3Mike