Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data on Cold Weather Range Decrease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing misleading in all this is average loss vs worst case loss. There is a huge difference. Also how much below “EPA” (which we call 100% efficient) are drivers in ideal conditions.

So for example I might average 20-30% lower in winter, but my worst case loss could be 50% (e.g. below 10F, cold battery, wind, rain etc.) and best case (in winter) might only be a 10% loss. You have to plan a bit around worse than expected. Because weather forecasts are not perfect nor is traffic. For me, bitter cold might only occur 3 total weeks a winter.

Range loss in cold weather is NOT the right question! Winter heating is not a function of range! The battery efficiency and capacity doesn't change with temperature!

And here is why the EPA test is outdated.

The EPA test is not about technical efficiency, it's about MPG, or MPGe in reference to overall driving efficiency. The problem is that in an ICEV, heating/cooling do not have much of an affect on what your MPG is going to be, so that error is in the noise of the EPA value. With a Tesla and it's electric cabin heater, as well as the Air Conditioner, that power usage is not appropriately accounted for with the EPA test cycle and has an out-sized affect on a BEV vs an ICEV.

I thought resistance in the battery increased with lower temps, in which case battery efficiency is reduced.
Cold batteries can't provide as many amps, which will reduce your acceleration. And, if the battery doesn't warm up, you can't use the last ~10% of the battery. But, otherwise, you still have the same energy available. All the energy loss is the result of heating the battery and the cabin.

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
I have ordered a Y and I am new to EV. I have searched this a bit and I think at -20 to -25 C (-13F) it would be good to have your SC's @ 150 km (100 mi) apart. -15 (5F) 200 is ok. At -30 txt, skype or something similar. I may not be heading out from Sault Ste. Marie up to Wawa, Ontario, Canada if there was a low below -15 (5F). It is a good start and the cars are great; a few more SC's and problem solved.