Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data shenanigans in the UK this morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Cellular data appears to be dead for me this morning - just have the "signal bars with a line through them" icon. MCU reboot hasn't fixed. Call to Tesla Roadside appears to confirm there is a UK data problem - just curious how widespread it is.

Cheers!

It is extremely widespread, one owner in France reporting the issue and countless all over the UK. Someone in the know has discovered it's a KPN outage and still ongoing. At least it's good to know it's not our cars.

Figures - if you check the IP from the in-car browser, it returns a KPN IP address, so that ties up. Cheers folks!
IMG-1271.JPG

Reactions: Fellsteruk
All SIMs have to be associated with a 'home location register' - this is the single place where the security credentials are stored: when a SIM pops up on a remote network for the first time, it identifies its 'home' network, and the credentials are sent back there to authenticate the SIM and decide what services it is entitled to. If this wasn't done, networks would have to share with each other the keys associated with all their customers - both a logistical headache and presenting trust issues with the various different types and sizes of organizations that run networks.

Once the SIM is authenticated, actual data may be 'tromboned' back to the home network (historically nearly always done), or broken out locally (becoming more common with 4G).

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
I’m having the same issue but I am in California. For me a reboot fixes the problem temporarily but the problem comes back each time I restart the car. Once I get signal back everything works fine and then drops again. I have ATT on my phone and when I check the bars on my phone there should be no problem with signal.

I’m having the same issue but I am in California. For me a reboot fixes the problem temporarily but the problem comes back each time I restart the car. Once I get signal back everything works fine and then drops again. I have ATT on my phone and when I check the bars on my phone there should be no problem with signal.

That's a completely different issue. If a reboot fixes your signal problem temporarily then you are having a software or hardware problem with your car, which has nothing to do with the data carrying network. As it happens I've experienced this problem in the past, but not since V9 was released. For me it was quite a common occurrence with V8.