Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daylight running light for Refreshed MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really begs the question is why did they change it from the pre-refresh cars? There is nothing inherently different that would have required different programming, right? Yes, I know the lights are different, but function the same (well, except for the cornering light addition with the LED headlights) so it seems bit silly why this was even changed. What does tying the DRLs with range mode being off?

Was this really an intended change or do we think it was just programming glitches or bug?

Let me sneak into this thread.

Anybody find it ironic that the original Model S DRL with the individual bulbs was classic and then started showing up on all 'want to be' cars that are not BEV, just so they could look techie? Now Tesla has moved way from those to the new ribbon lights, perhaps to differentiate itself once again? Not sure but when I first saw my Model X DRL, I was kind of disappointed they did not look like the Model S ones.

Anybody find it ironic that the original Model S DRL with the individual bulbs was classic and then started showing up on all 'want to be' cars that are not BEV, just so they could look techie? Now Tesla has moved way from those to the new ribbon lights, perhaps to differentiate itself once again? Not sure but when I first saw my Model X DRL, I was kind of disappointed they did not look like the Model S ones.

I'm not sure I've noticed the same, to be honest. If anything, Audi in 2008/2009 with the Iron Man R8 and then the A4 started the trend of the crisp individual-LED DRL's, and then Lexus followed suit with the blotchier discrete "silkworm poop" DRLs. By the time the MS came out, Audi had already moved on to continuous DRLs as seen in the A6 / A8 and now the A3, and they were in the business of producing iconic DRL patterns for each of their cars. The thick ribbon DRL's are somewhat unique to Tesla, which I think is good for them!

But I think it's a bit anachronistic to attribute the appearance of LED / ribbon DRL's on other cars to Tesla. If anything, I think credit for that goes to Audi.

My 06 Aston Martin had LED's

I'm not sure I've noticed the same, to be honest. If anything, Audi in 2008/2009 with the Iron Man R8 and then the A4 started the trend of the crisp individual-LED DRL's, and then Lexus followed suit with the blotchier discrete "silkworm poop" DRLs. By the time the MS came out, Audi had already moved on to continuous DRLs as seen in the A6 / A8 and now the A3, and they were in the business of producing iconic DRL patterns for each of their cars. The thick ribbon DRL's are somewhat unique to Tesla, which I think is good for them!

But I think it's a bit anachronistic to attribute the appearance of LED / ribbon DRL's on other cars to Tesla. If anything, I think credit for that goes to Audi.
Agreed, definitely nowhere near started by Tesla. Audi was primarily the driving force as well as BMW which was using the "angel eye" halos around the projectors. Definitely predates Tesla by many years.

I agree

Okay sports fans, I just picked up my brand new, refreshed, 90D in Rockville. The DRLs are working fine in Auto mode. Range mode is off. I knowingly announced to my DS that there was a glitch in the DRLs and that they would only work in Park mode. Nope, they work just as my previous Model S. And they are quite bright. ?? VIN: 137xxx, v7.1 (2.20.45). Don't know what to say, but there it is.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
So, it looks like at least one new refreshed MS has DRLs working properly. Is it fixed for anyone who had the problem? Mine's not fixed yet and it's getting kind of frustrating to having to manually turn on the lights each time I drive out because NY law requires lights to be on when driving in rain (not to mention, it's also safer!).

So, it looks like at least one new refreshed MS has DRLs working properly. Is it fixed for anyone who had the problem? Mine's not fixed yet and it's getting kind of frustrating to having to manually turn on the lights each time I drive out because NY law requires lights to be on when driving in rain (not to mention, it's also safer!).

So DRLs don't equate to headlights in the rain. Usually when the DRLs are on the rear brake lights are not on.

I hope it gets fixed soon, I have a car on order.

When I was driving last Sat with "Auto" on, I swear I saw DRL working fine from the reflection on car next to me...
That was after the update Friday night (which was summon update *same updates for last 3 times)

But yesterday, it didn't work so either I am going nuts or my Tesla is messing with me..

Mine still don't work unless I manually select Parking Lights. However, I keep Range Mode activated all the time. Other drivers with this issue have reported that turning Range Mode off did not solve the issue. I may see if it makes a difference in my case later today.

Still waiting on that fabled firmware update.