Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC chargers suitable for EV towing trailers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
f you are declaring that the Cybertruck will not come to Australia because you don't believe there will be sufficient market for it
I'm not saying there won't be a market, only that they are not suitable for Australian residential streets . And i would say too big for most existing car parks and for that matter DC charging sites.

Re the lack of trailer friendly DC charging sites, I think it's because most DC charging sites go into existing car parks and shopping centres. As Tesla is not the landowner, a reconfiguring of the car park to be towing friendly will incur extra capital.

Were any DC charging sites built on greenfield sites ie not an addition of an amenity to an existing carport?

Last edited:
I'm not saying there won't be a market, only that they are not suitable for Australian residential streets . And i would say too big for most existing car parks and for that matter DC charging sites.

Re the lack of trailer friendly DC charging sites, I think it's because most DC charging sites go into existing car parks and shopping centres. As Tesla is not the landowner, a reconfiguring of the car park to be towing friendly will incur extra capital
How is that any different to the F250 and similar vehicles that are already on our streets?

Your original post made it sound like an absolute statement that they would not be available here because they are too big.
Hmm no,
never said Ct would not be available because they are too big.
only said they are not suitable for australian residential streets, (and later for car parks)
That F/Ram/silverados are available for sale means they can be sold (so long as they are homologised to the relevant design rules)

Topical post on a facebook group this morning
And there was also a comment about lack of pullthrough charging at the new Supercharger at Thrumster port macquarie
So as EV owners explore the capabilities of their EV, it is likely that some will want to tow with it.

servos are the places most likely able to facilitate pull through EV charging
An example from Norway:

When fast chargers were first being installed at petrol stations, they'd be installed in the car park spaces around the outside of the property - because these were generally low usage parking spaces. Non-pull through, no canopies (although occasionally a small shelter over the equipment, to keep the snow from building up). There are legal minimum distances between petrol pumps and high voltage equipment so they couldn't go alongside the petrol bowsers.

With newer or redeveloped service stations (and noting the high EV uptake in Norway), a new popular layout is to have the facilities building in the centre (cafe, seating, toilets, etc), petrol bowsers in usual pull through layout on one side of the building, and EV chargers in pull though layout on the other side of the building. Both sides with canopies. As many of you have probably seen, demonstrated by TeslaBjorn here:

Which Tesla or non Tesla DC fast charger are suitable for EV + trailer combination. Plugshare filter does not have much visibility. Not sure if that's because the trailer friendly ones have not been labelled as trailer friendly e
After some searching I have found one trailer-friendly example: Evie single stall 50kW in Lancefield, VIC.

1230877.jpg

servos are the places most likely able to facilitate pull through EV charging
Personally don't see servos as the solution

By the time EVs get to say 20% of the car fleet.. so your typical freeway servo can give over one of its four 'lanes' to charging,
You actually need way more space to charge those 20% of EVs.

Even with battery improvements you are still going to see EVs needing to sit for much longer than petrol cars to fill up, which means more space.

The solution is more likely going to be having EV chargers of various brands occupying a a fair chunk of every fast food restaurant carpark on highway routes.

And it's going to need a lot more power being delivered to those sites.

yes i was referring to the front in bay. Would that support trailers?
Probably depends on the space behind it and whether the trailer sticking out would hinder other traffic. I haven't seen a pic that determines whether this would work. I'm thinking about the Euroa Supercharger which is the only one on the Vic Hume Hwy with a nose-in bay, and the area behind is difficult for a trailer. Wodonga doesn't have a nose-in bay at all.

The Chargefox at Euroa Shell doesn't support trailers either, but they actually have marked trailer parking bays not far from the existing chargers. If there was a will, they could install a drive-through charger without changing the carpark at all - just a bit of underground conduit:

Screen Shot 2023-12-13 at 1.13.47 pm.png

Last edited: