Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC chargers suitable for EV towing trailers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Yass township superchargers are amenable to Ev with hitched trailers

The parking lot has double length parking bays but are unfortunately too far from theSc bays
But there is another solution:

Park in the parking bays beyond the last Sc bay :

For reference:
Blue straight arrows are the entrance and exit traffic flow
Red are the double bay trailer parking bays

Yellow and purple are the 6+6 Sc bays with the 12 SC between them - see supercharger yass.

In order to charge an EV with a hitched trailer, park across 2 bays in the blue marked area, adjacent to the last Sc in that group of 12

Or unhitch a trailer in the red section and go charge the Ev.

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 7.31.15 pm.png

Spotted some creative trailer parking by a Kia EV6 on Plugshare today:

Campbell Town, Tas - only possible because one unit is faulty. (If your charge port is on the left hand side, you can generally use the left hand charger with a trailer without an issue [see map following] - the two odd-shaped spaces are basically never used)

1702806859620.png

1702807226379.png

Westbury, Tas - generally trailer friendly when you're the first vehicle and can choose which charger and orientation, but when you're the second, it's a bit harder... but in this case, still possible!

1702806935117.png

1702807325752.png

The parking lot has double length parking bays but are unfortunately too far from theSc bays

Park in the parking bays beyond the last Sc bay :

For reference:
Blue straight arrows are the entrance and exit traffic flow
Red are the double bay trailer parking bays

Yellow and purple are the 6+6 Sc bays with the 12 SC between them - see supercharger yass.

In order to charge an EV with a hitched trailer, park across 2 bays in the blue marked area, adjacent to the last Sc in that group of 12

Or unhitch a trailer in the red section and go charge the Ev.

View attachment 1000306
I’m going to run the holiday/christmas charging gauntlet and attempt to drive between Albury and Sydney on both Christmas Eve and Boxing Day. I’ll probably check out the Yass station. Thanks for that (I won’t have a trailer but I might on future trips).

Park in the parking bays beyond the last Sc bay
Checked it out today… yes, it could be trailer friendly if the two parking bays are free and the closest charger is free. Good pickup!

IMG_0052.jpeg

Reactions: Quickst
We've done a few trips with a trailer and I detach every time. A few questions:

* Where do people put their trailer? I am not very experienced and it can take a lot of time to park it in a legal spot. I've usually opted for further away where there is more room to attach/detach even if it take 3 car spaces.
* When there is a queue, do you detach before or after joining the queue?

I have had a lot of success using an electric trailer jack as this reduces the hitch/unhitch process down to about 1-2 minutes as I can decouple/recouple the safety chain at the same time as raising and lowering the tow ball.

Tesla Update 2024.8.4 Adds Cybertruck Trailer Alarm and Will Soon Display Number of Trailer-Friendly Stalls

Tesla Will Show Which Superchargers Include Trailer-Friendly Stalls

Tesla is also improving the Supercharging experience for drivers with trailers. Recognizing owners' difficulties when charging vehicles while towing, Tesla has been progressively introducing pull-through stalls at Supercharger stations. These stalls are designed to accommodate vehicles with trailers, eliminating the need to detach trailers before charging – a significant improvement over the traditional back-in stalls that dominate the network.

Wes Morrill, a Cybertruck engineer who has become more vocal on X, posted that the “Supercharger team is always looking for opportunities to install these at new locations. Will show trailer friendly stalls on the in-vehicle UI to make it easier when road tripping with a trailer.”

Once this feature is implemented, we expect Tesla to list the number of pull-through stalls next to the number of available stalls at each Supercharger location. Tesla already displays how many stalls are in use, how many cars are en route to the Supercharger, and if any stalls are out of order, as determined by their monitoring service.

Last edited:

Tesla ruins weekend with first Australia Supercharger site designed for towing caravans, boats​

The first trailer-friendly Supercharger site in Australia has been opened in Western Australia, with multiple stalls geared to cater for drive-thru fast charging.

It was first reported to go live by the Tesla owners club of Western Australia on X and feature 4 of Tesla’s V3 supercharging stations, all of which have drive-thru parking, ideal for those towing a trailer, boat or a caravan with their EV.

It’s available to both Tesla owners and those with non-Tesla EVs as well. Non-Tesla EVs can charge at this site for 83 c/kWh.

The new site is in the town of Kojonup which is located 250 kilometres south-east of Perth. The town is also along the Albany Highway, meanwhile, the site is at 14 Benn Parade in Kojonup. Amenities-wise, there is a toilet nearby.

The penny is starting to drop.

But what a shame they are simultaneously rolling out new chargers that are still not trailer friendly.