Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Port Macquarie (Thrumster), NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cafz

Jul 17, 2020
Australia
New Supercharger spotted in construction at Sovereign Hills shopping centre in Thrumster, near the intersection of the Pacific Hwy and Oxley Hwy. This is where two NRMA chargers have been located for a few years.

1701931245239.png

HT to Daniel Craig Fardon on Facebook.

Agree. Particularly now Cassegrain has seemingly sorted out it's issues with similar management.

It's the same as secondary sites proposed at Gundagai, Coffs, Heatherbrae, and even the under construction Albury.

More EVs on the road, particularly if they open these (or all the sites) to non-Teslas.

Reactions: Hairyman
Only 5 minutes drive from existing SC, quite possibly to replace it?
It's rare that they decommission an old site. Apart from when it's obviously temporary (e.g. a sled), it generally only ever happens if the host opts not to renew the lease. I haven't been following the Cassegrain issues closely, but I think the former owner is still involved so that shouldn't be an issue. I seem to remember that early sites generally weren't paid leases, so maybe there are negotiations to be had there.

The hardest and most expensive part of a supercharger site is getting it built, so once it's built, there's no reason for them to get rid of it except in extenuating circumstances.

It's got 4 cabinets, I wouldn't be surprised if 4 more stalls near the cabinets appear
There a both 3 cabinet 12 stall installs and 4 cabinet 12 stall installs. The cabinets are ether 3 or 4 outputs per cabinet. There has also been installs with a mix of 3 and 4 output cabinets, eg Lucas.

One would need to take a photo of each of the cabinets electrical face plate to determine whether the sites stall capacity is likely to be extended in near future with additional outputs of exisiting cabinets.

Of course they can also add additional cabinets. In Lucas, again, there is evidence for a future additional 3 cabinets* based on extra in ground conduits. With an expected expansion from 10 to 20 stalls expected, though no indication this is for the near future.

*Supercharger - Ballarat (Lucas)

View attachment 997849
From plugshare.
Looking fairly well progressed.
What a glorious sight.

it’s going to cop a pounding on Boxing Day!

Given it's location on a major transit corridor it's disappointing there are no drive through chargers for people who are towing...

People will always find something to complain about! Good grief this was desperately needed to go live before the Xmas rush and has been deployed remarkably quickly. Any variations that may have introduced a delay would inconvenience thousands of drivers, as opposed to the 1 in 500 that might need to disconnect his boat for 30 mins or so.

What a glorious sight.

it’s going to cop a pounding on Boxing Day!

People will always find something to complain about! Good grief this was desperately needed to go live before the Xmas rush and has been deployed remarkably quickly. Any variations that may have introduced a delay would inconvenience thousands of drivers, as opposed to the 1 in 500 that might need to disconnect his boat for 30 mins or so.

And the fact that towing long distance is still basically the realm of Diesel, I think its fine.

Nice to see the stall placement in the centre rear, easy swapout for V4 stalls that will reach any vehicle.

it's disappointing there are no drive through chargers for people who are towing.
For the type of towing a Tesla does, it should not be too difficult unhitching first?. We are not talking about a 3.5T 20Ft dual axle caravan.
Though the question also is are there drive through parking at that shopping centre?

One option is to park the trailer at the Maccas across the roundabout on the other side of the Oxley highway - lots of double length parking there, then go and charge at Sovereign hills

Last edited:
Given it's location on a major transit corridor it's disappointing there are no drive through chargers for people who are towing...

People will always find something to complain about!

Oh, really?.

I just cannot believe the short-sightedness of charging infrastructure, and can't help feeling a little bewildered by those who defend it.

People tow!

Just because there aren't many Teslas towing right now... sheesh. This just gives people more reason not to go electric and to laugh and criticise. Can't charge with a trailer. Can't charge with a boat. Can't charge with a caravan. Can't charge with a camper trailer. Can't even charge at many places with a couple of bicycles on the hitch.

NO. I am not going to disconnect my trailer and leave it at Macca's while I charge, I'm going to drive an ICE until the infrastructure is sorted, thank you very much.

Why are fossil fuel service stations always "drive through"? People tow.

Tesla just released a truck with a 5-7.5T tow rating (although it might be less if it gets released in Aus). Other manufacturers also. Are we actually trying to build an electric transport infrastructure, or are we still treating the whole EV thing as a bit of a novelty for the rich kids with skis on the roof?