Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yass, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
am I to understand that *technically* the bay availability in the app/in car navigation may be incorrect by as much as 6 bays?
Yes, that is the situation in Cooma currently, only that site has only 2 dedicated bays and 2 anyone-can-park bays.

The unfortunate reality there is that those two Supercharger bays where ICE cars can park are a honeypot for (a particular demographic of ICE owners) to park there by choice even when the overall carpark still has plenty of free spaces. I have been caught out exactly as you describe on several occasions.

So - if there is general parking possible for 6 of 12 bays at this supercharger, am I to understand that *technically* the bay availability in the app/in car navigation may be incorrect by as much as 6 bays? That is, if 6 non-charging vehicles are parked, and the other 6 bays are being used by charging vehicles, we could see 6 bays available in the app, but still have a practical queue?
Technically true, but hopefully not an issue as @moa999 describes.

A possible way of managing this may be for Tesla owners to take the "60 minute parking" spaces *first* if they are available. Basically minimise the possible number of ICE vehicles parking in any of the 1st-6th stalls. Then if it gets busy, the 7th-12th spaces (the "Tesla only" ones) should then (assuming ICE car owners are reasonable) remain free to absorb the peak.

6 non-charging vehicles are parked,
The shared general parking charging bays are probably the least attractive parking spots - along with the parking spots behind my point of view.

Iceing would be deliberate because there are so many better spots to park in that parking lot and also around town

There are several double length trailer friendly spots - where the white car is on the left of the picture but too far to connect to SC without unhitching. But easy to unhitch then drive a short distance to the SC

The Yass SC parking lot:

the white building is a busstop
the blue arrowsare the entry and exit

Orange circle: Sc cabinets
yellow: Sc bays shared with 60 min general parking
purple: SC bays without shared parking signs

Due to the way the SC are positioned, the yellow and green parking spots are furthest from the pub.

red -double bays for trailers

green -parking bays along the green line as well

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 7.31.15 pm.png

While it is a little out of the way from the Tass Service Centre. the amenities are much better:

Within a short distance is a Hotel on the corner - labelled "club house. The parking lot is the rear entrance to the Pub - where the red car is.
Ampol foodary Servo
Yass Woolies
Yass Aldi

bottom out of picture are public toilets

I hope SC facilities like this bring business to towns like Yass.

Screen Shot 2023-12-17 at 7.54.33 pm.png

Last edited:
Great local info @Quickst!

I know some councils prefer to host charge network operators (rather than let them go to the highway service stations) for exactly the reason you state in your last sentence - it brings activity to town centres and offers benefits to a range of local businesses.
We dropped in for a quick charge recently on a warm Sunday afternoon.
Several cars charging.
A young family wandered back with ice creams and sat on the shaded bench in the bus stop waiting for the charge to complete.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Hope tesla starts putting some USS/vision sensors in the chargers to detect if the space is actually available or not. We are seeing more sites that are "general parking" sometimes and the app says 6/12 available, but none of them are actually available.

I have on occasion mused about something like that… a camera detecting plates and if you park and don’t plug in you get sent a fine.

Probably quite expensive though to set up and operate, as well as requiring formal links to law enforcement.

Solution is stalls at the intermediate towns, provides more stalls and more flexibility at the same time, Tarcutta, Gundgai, Gunning, etc etc etc.
Interesting that you mentioned Gunning… I wanted to stop there because they always had the best hamburgers between Albury and Sydney for the past 30 years. They had a 22kW Type 2 outside of Bailey’s Garage just down from the hamburger joint. It shutdown on 23 Dec pending future funding model according to Plugshare. I rang Bailey’s to confirm, and it’s true (Not their fault). That cost the town a hamburger.

This car park is an under-utilised car park. I suspect most won't know about the general parking because the shared general parking bays are facing the exit lane (see my previous photos),
And they are furthest from the pub.

Nice to have a Supercharger at a pub though - not all Superchargers are built near food. And I’ve always hated the Australian service station attitude that McDonalds = food.