Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dc combo for USA port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you travel north to Prince George or in the Kootenays a Chademo adapter is a no brainer. I haven’t looked to see if there are Superchargers planned for Quesnel or Prince George yet. That would be a game changer.
Completely agreed. If/when I do that trip in my M3, I would be looking to borrow/rent a ChaDeMo. I usually drive that trip in a rental mini van though due to cargo/people so it may never happen.

Why Tesla hasn't put anything up there is beyond me. I guess it's just not a big enough market.

Completely agreed. If/when I do that trip in my M3, I would be looking to borrow/rent a ChaDeMo. I usually drive that trip in a rental mini van though due to cargo/people so it may never happen.

Why Tesla hasn't put anything up there is beyond me. I guess it's just not a big enough market.

yep. Which is okay with me as they need to spend money where they get the most bang for their buck right now. No complaints here. Just an observation.

BC hydro is doing a good job coordinating with other networks like PetroCan etc. Our province is doing ok in the infrastructure buildout for EV’s.

JMHO.

Since Tesla has to support CCS in European form anyway. Seems to me that it would be easier to standardize on one format for the Western world. I appreciate that CCS-1 and CCS-2 are slightly different, but I bet the same circuit cards could be used with some components not installed.

Right now, Tesla has to support the standards in China, Japan, Europe, and their proprietary connector. Either do adapters for all to their proprietary connector or just standardize on the fewest standards. That would be CCS and Chademo 3.0 / ChaoJi. Both of those provide plenty of power for any battery technology contemplated and would be the simplest supply chain for Tesla.

It is inevitable that this will happen anyway and Tesla's lightning connector will go away. With the world coalescing on two standards, this is the time for Tesla to fold.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Since Tesla has to support CCS in European form anyway. Seems to me that it would be easier to standardize on one format for the Western world. I appreciate that CCS-1 and CCS-2 are slightly different, but I bet the same circuit cards could be used with some components not installed.

Right now, Tesla has to support the standards in China, Japan, Europe, and their proprietary connector. Either do adapters for all to their proprietary connector or just standardize on the fewest standards. That would be CCS and Chademo 3.0 / ChaoJi. Both of those provide plenty of power for any battery technology contemplated and would be the simplest supply chain for Tesla.

It is inevitable that this will happen anyway and Tesla's lightning connector will go away. With the world coalescing on two standards, this is the time for Tesla to fold.

There are WAY more cars and WAY more superchargers they'd need to swap over in the US then there was in Europe. There are roughly 700,000 Teslas in the US and close to 30,000 supercharger stalls. Could you imagine how expensive that would be to convert to CCS? When they switched in Europe there were like 20k cars and a few hundred superchargers. And because of how CCS2 works they were able to just send existing owners a little plastic adapter similar to the J1772 one. As you can see from the photos in this thread a simple adapter like that is not possible for CCS1.

It's not inevitable that the Tesla connector will go away. There are more Teslas on the road then all other EVs combined and Tesla has a network that covers the entire US. There is really no need for them to switch to CCS.

• Disagree
Reactions: alexcue and cdswm3
There are WAY more cars and WAY more superchargers they'd need to swap over in the US then there was in Europe. There are roughly 700,000 Teslas in the US and close to 30,000 supercharger stalls. Could you imagine how expensive that would be to convert to CCS? When they switched in Europe there were like 20k cars and a few hundred superchargers. And because of how CCS2 works they were able to just send existing owners a little plastic adapter similar to the J1772 one. As you can see from the photos in this thread a simple adapter like that is not possible for CCS1.

It's not inevitable that the Tesla connector will go away. There are more Teslas on the road then all other EVs combined and Tesla has a network that covers the entire US. There is really no need for them to switch to CCS.

Don't forget all of the destination chargers, UMCs, and Wall Connectors that would need to be replaced. (Or have adapters.)

Reactions: Dan203 and cwerdna

In Japan, Teslas apparently ship with the same inlet that as the proprietary North American one.

When I was at Tokyo Motor Show 2019 - Page 2 - My Nissan Leaf Forum I held in my hand their CHAdeMO adapter which has the same connector as in North America. So, it seems Tesla has decided to use that connector in the US, Canada, Japan and South Korea. Not sure what other regions also use it.

Ccs to chademo is difficult.. Alibaba has chademo to ccs available for a few K. Honestly the chademo adapter is becoming more valuable as the number of Chademos stations has increased. For Leaf Plus owners many more 200 amp Chademo stations are appearing as well, making charging at 75 kilowatts an hour more feasible.

Honestly the chademo adapter is becoming more valuable as the number of Chademos stations has increased. For Leaf Plus owners many more 200 amp Chademo stations are appearing as well, making charging at 75 kilowatts an hour more feasible.

While more are being added, it is usually just one Chademo to 4+ CCS units, so the ratio between the two continues to change in favor of CCS. I did buy a used Chademo adapter for a just-in-case scenario (have yet to use it), but had there been a CCS option, I would have definitely gone that route if the price wasn't exorbitant. And I don't believe you can get 75kW charging with the Tesla chademo adapter (regardless of what the chademo station can deliver). I read it is limited to slightly less than 50...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Ccs to chademo is difficult.. Alibaba has chademo to ccs available for a few K. Honestly the chademo adapter is becoming more valuable as the number of Chademos stations has increased. For Leaf Plus owners many more 200 amp Chademo stations are appearing as well, making charging at 75 kilowatts an hour more feasible.
Please provide specific sites that are getting CHAdeMO that are above 125A. I only know of a couple.

Plugshare - Prunedale Shopping Center, Salinas, CA

It lists their CHAdeMO as 75kW.

Plugshare - World's Tallest Thermometer, Baker, CA

Some of the CHAdeMO at that site are listed as 100kW.

The new ChargePoint stations are 156A, 62.5kW. So there are quite a few of those now. However, I don't think that's anything worth writing home about.
Example: Plugshare - King City Shopping Center, King City, CA

Last edited:
Many EA sites while listed at 50, can charge in excess of 200 amps. I still get free juice from evgo, so don't go often to EA.

Lincolnwood Town Center
3333 W Touhy Ave.
Lincolnwood, Illinois 60712
Charger #200014-01
Connector #2
Total paid: $6.07
Session ID: 35142
Charging pricing: $1.00/session + $0.25/minute (pre-tax)
Charging cost: $6.07
Discount: $0.00
Idling: $0.00 ($0.40/min)
Sales tax (0%): $0.00
End state of charge: 50%
Total energy delivered: 22.1 kWh
Max charging rate: 73.29 kW
Charging time: 00:20:17
Grace period: 00:10 min
Paid idle time: 00:00

Look around Oklahoma as well:
4100 E 15th St, Edmond, OK 73013, USA
5425 N Lincoln Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73105

While more are being added, it is usually just one Chademo to 4+ CCS units, so the ratio between the two continues to change in favor of CCS.
The stilted ratio seems to only be done by Electrify America. I don't know of any other major non-Tesla DC FCing provider that's doing that. Everyone else has been putting in a 1:1 ratio of each. That may change over time given Nissan choosing CCS for Ariya in the US and European market.

how do you get free charging from evgo? if u dont mind me asking.
Doug probably had/has one of these:
Nissan (EV), No Charge to Charge Nissan Electric Cars | EVgo - aka NCTC, now over
Nissan Energy Perks by EVgo - replacement

BTW, I do use DrivetheARC. I got my supply of free CCS juice last night. Randy Spencer here uses them for free juice. I've also witnessed a Model X driver using a DrivetheARC station w/his CHAdeMO adapter. That location is within a few miles of two sets of Superchargers.

Reactions: Fadiawesome