Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead Key Fob--Twice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I had a pair of key fobs on my 2017 MX that worked fine (mostly). Sure, early on, my entire car tried to file for divorce and would not talk to me but after a counseling session at the service center, she never misbehaved again. When I took ownership of my $110,000 2023 MX, I was told I would have to spend another $200 (including tax) on each fob. I tried the iPhone and magic card approach for a week and quickly missed the drop-dead-easy key fob--especially since the car locked me out on more than one occasion (but that's another thread). This point hit home again when I took a few people to show off the car. Once everyone had exited, I had to close and lock the doors. With the key fob, this is a single tap and the car does a "Close All" and locks up. Nice. With the phone, I had to pull out my phone, wake it up, log in, open the app, scroll down to Controls, and tap the lock icon. It takes about 15 seconds and assumes my hands aren't full of something else. Less nice.

So after waiting a week for a service appointment, I was able to buy a key fob. I was now $200 poorer (with tax). It worked fine. Until it didn't. I tried to use it the next day and it was dead. (Sigh) I called the service center and they got me in right away. I waited about 45 minutes for them to diagnose the problem. The lounge was comfortable if you liked hip-hop music. "The battery was dead," they finally said. "It's brand new. I bought it yesterday," says I. "Sorry" The service agent gave me a fresh battery the resurrected fob and sent me on my way. It worked fine. Until it didn't. Same deal--a dead fob. I took it back again and they wanted to keep the car for a few days to figure out what was wrong. They could fit me in next week and give me a rent-a-car loaner. "Ah, no," says I. "Replace the fob--this one is faulty. That's cheaper than wasting your time and mine looking for a phantom problem that's clearly the fault of the fob." They did and 24 hours later it's still working. My fingers are sore from being crossed the whole time.

The agent admitted that the fob could have been sitting in a bin in the parts room for "who knows how long." We all know batteries wear out--even if you aren't using them. I suggested Tesla replace (or at least test) the batteries of every fob they sell. I sure hope they don't sell my defective fob to some other hapless customer.

Nope, it failed again. It took longer, but by 6PM about 30 hours later, the fob failed to work--I had been testing it every few hours.
I pulled the battery and tested it--2.9V. I have a new battery and it tested 3.5V. I tried the new battery and the fob worked again. I then retested the old battery and NOW it showed 3.5V. What? It's as if the fob was slowly draining the battery to the point the fob stopped working. Removing it reset the fob and yes, the old battery worked too.

I've read several posts from people who had trouble replacing faulty fobs--having to go through more than one replacement. Perhaps their supplier is not building to spec. My 2017 MX fobs were really pretty reliable.

Reactions: henderrj
Having same problem. But mine are lasting almost exactly a year, then draining battery first overnight, then within 20 minutes. Just happened again today. So 4th one coming next week.

I've got a BRAND NEW fob, and it has eaten 4 batteries in the month I've had it - yup, about 8 days each. I also have two older fobs, and having much the same performance from them. I only have a battery in one of them at the moment (because they are expensive and I'm the only user) and keep them in a faraday bag when not in use or overnight (car camping) so it is isolated for at least 9-10 hours daily. STILL only lasts a week.

WHAT THE HECK

Faraday bag will do nothing, that's not the problem. There's just poor design on the model X keys. There's something on the board that shorts out. I just had a new one last week again, I kept the old one this time usually I forget to ask for it and they're gone before. I took it apart under a microscope and can see a few dark spots, I don't know enough about board level repair but definitely something is shorting out.
i'm going to be making a video of the teardown, part of that I will also be putting a battery back in, either an actual battery or using some jumpers to connected to a power source, and then using a thermal camera to find exactly where the key is shorting out. Mine during the battery in about 20 minutes when they fail. Are usually get about a year out of them almost to the month before they start completely draining batteries overnight and then every 20 minutes

Well I found it interesting that a BRAND-NEW key lasted exactly 7 days with the first battery that they put in when programming it. It has continued with that level of consumption.

I'm also not impressed that THEY have to program it, which of course they charge for.

I've got a BRAND NEW fob, and it has eaten 4 batteries in the month I've had it - yup, about 8 days each. I also have two older fobs, and having much the same performance from them. I only have a battery in one of them at the moment (because they are expensive and I'm the only user) and keep them in a faraday bag when not in use or overnight (car camping) so it is isolated for at least 9-10 hours daily. STILL only lasts a week.

WHAT THE HECK
I agree. There seems to be a manufacturing flaw that affects some key fobs and shorts out the circuit slowly draining the battery. When they replaced my fob we finally got one that has worked fine for over a month. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: geordi
Faraday bag will do nothing, that's not the problem. There's just poor design on the model X keys. There's something on the board that shorts out. I just had a new one last week again, I kept the old one this time usually I forget to ask for it and they're gone before. I took it apart under a microscope and can see a few dark spots, I don't know enough about board level repair but definitely something is shorting out.
i'm going to be making a video of the teardown, part of that I will also be putting a battery back in, either an actual battery or using some jumpers to connected to a power source, and then using a thermal camera to find exactly where the key is shorting out. Mine during the battery in about 20 minutes when they fail. Are usually get about a year out of them almost to the month before they start completely draining batteries overnight and then every 20 minutes
Or, you could send it to @bigclivedotcom over on YouTube. He tears down electronics and diagnoses problems. He could probably even fix it.

How difficult is it to take it apart, and is it reversible meaning you can put it back together without it looking like it was opened with a chainsaw? I have one that’s a little twitchy that keeps on opening the charge door whenever the vehicle is in park and it has a battery in it. I suspect one of the push buttons is just a little too sensitive and I wanted to try and resolve that.

Actually, maybe that’s the reason for all of them eating the batteries: the plastic is too tight and makes it constantly wake up because it thinks someone is touching it or pushing a button.

Does it have any kind of a motion sensor in it so that it knows when it has been picked up? That might be something else that keeps it “awake“ and might also explain some of the terrible battery life.

How difficult is it to take it apart, and is it reversible meaning you can put it back together without it looking like it was opened with a chainsaw? I have one that’s a little twitchy that keeps on opening the charge door whenever the vehicle is in park and it has a battery in it. I suspect one of the push buttons is just a little too sensitive and I wanted to try and resolve that.

Actually, maybe that’s the reason for all of them eating the batteries: the plastic is too tight and makes it constantly wake up because it thinks someone is touching it or pushing a button.

Does it have any kind of a motion sensor in it so that it knows when it has been picked up? That might be something else that keeps it “awake“ and might also explain some of the terrible battery life.
Very easy to open and put back together, as long as you don't drop any pieces never to be found again...., no motion sensor. Definately over-engineered....

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt