Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife’s 2014 model S died yesterday. She parked it in the garage and plugged in - next morning the car got stuck on “powering up” . Numerous reboots to no avail. 24 hours later still “powering up.” Tesla mobile service tried everything - still unable to move the car. Looks like the cars computer may need to be replaced. Naturally after the four year warranty has expired.

my wife’s 2014 model S died yesterday. She parked it in the garage and plugged in - next morning the car got stuck on “powering up” . Numerous reboots to no avail. 24 hours later still “powering up.” Tesla mobile service tried everything - still unable to move the car. Looks like the cars computer may need to be replaced. Naturally after the four year warranty has expired.
Oh man, I have no clue what this could be but obviously very interested. I hope this isn’t a costly repair for you.

Not sure how DIY you are, but you could try unplugging the service/ emergency responder loop in the front, then disconnecting the 12V battery ground, wait a few minutes, then reconnect 12V and loop. That will give a full reset.

Reactions: .jg.
Does the 12v battery power that initially, if it is dead, then what will work.?

The 12V battery powers the main battery contactors. Without it, the car can't fully power up and can't move.
For S/X, the 12V charger is after after the contactors, so without 12V, the 12V can't charge.
For 3, I think there is a a separate 12V charger port on the pack, so it can charge the 12V battery without the main contactors active...