Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead MX, emergency manual frunk release not functional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just need to make sure no one will try and pull it on purpose...

When I have passenger's in back I show and tell them how to open the door if we lose power

This is a great idea. When I first bought the car I tried to manually release the FWD and found it to be quite cumbersome. I'm not sure how easy or safe it would be in an emergency situation for someone not familiar with it. I think your solution really helps with that.

the connection required to power the 12 volt circuit is much less than in a conventional car. I would be willing to bet you could charge the battery through the cigarette lighter socket
While I agree that you are likely correct with the voltage required, the cigarette lighter outlets are not directly connected to the battery (a relay sits in between) and if you were able to get into the vehicle to access them, the power wouldn't make it anywhere beneficial.

For anyone with an S or X, may be a good time to pop off the tow hook cover and be sure you can reach the two pull strings before an emergency arises.
Well, good news and bad. Because of this post, I went out to check my MX. The good news: I have both the #1 and #2 release cables. The bad news: sometime in past 3 years, the plastic access cover went missing. I've never removed it so I don't know how it fell off. My best guess is the high pressure water from the DIY car wash I use. I may have gotten too close to the cover with the spray wand.

Well, good news and bad. Because of this post, I went out to check my MX. The good news: I have both the #1 and #2 release cables. The bad news: sometime in past 3 years, the plastic access cover went missing. I've never removed it so I don't know how it fell off. My best guess is the high pressure water from the DIY car wash I use. I may have gotten too close to the cover with the spray wand.
I had a similar issue when I removed it to test screwing in the tow hook, it doesn’t snap back in too well. Who knows what happened to it.

Also something else you may want to test is the tow hook as I had to really turn it to get it in. I think the paint gums up the threads. Remember that it’s a counter-clockwise thread before you make a boo-boo. :D

Reactions: Solarman004
In case anyone is interested, the replacement cover for the MX costs $20 plus tax. Picked up mine today at the SC.

Rather than buy an extra cover, I think I would put a screw in at the edge to make sure it stays on.
Make sure you keep a screwdriver in the glovebox so that you can take that screw out in order to access the emergency release cables when your 12V battery is dead and you can't open the door or the glovebox. :rolleyes:

(Yes, I know that you'll have to call someone who probably has a screwdriver to deal with the dead battery anyway.)

Reactions: boaterva
In reply to the guy that had only one release cable on his X. Same problem here. I vaguely recall that maybe during a previous service they told me they forgot to feed the cable back through. At the time they said it wasn’t a big deal but now my 12v is dead so yeah.