Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dead MX, emergency manual frunk release not functional

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a 3 week trip, where we left our Model X 90D with a full battery, we returned to a Model X that would not work at all. Key doesn’t work, can’t even unplug the electrical cable (we left it plugged in but not charging once fully charged). So can’t open the car or do anything.

It seems to be an issue with the 12V. Tesla dispatched a tow truck to help, but the emergency frunk release does *not* work because there is only ONE red string, not two. The tow truck guy has done this hundreds of times and said there are always two. I verified as well.

Could this be a manufacturing defect? Has anyone encountered this before? We now have a mobile service van coming to us on Monday, but we are parked at the top of circular and steep hill which means the car is effectively untowable from its current location, so would love to figure out if the wisdom of the crowd can help me here...

Alex

Get one of those 12V jump starter batteries ready for when he opens the frunk. You should be able to use it to jump the 12V system and get things working again.
Yeah, I have that, I’m just worried that the Frunk is unopenable since I’m missing one half of the cables for manual release... :( I spent a good hour searching around in there with my hand after the tow guy left and I’m pretty sure it’s not in there...

I have not tried this but I think there is a two sequence release. The first cable release the frunk a little and then the second cable might be become visible? Try it, what do you have to lose?

My question is how do you jump start the MX battery? It is hiding under the plastic hood at the back of the frunk but with the plastic hood removed, you can still barely see it- and there is no room to clip bulky battery cables without them shorting out to the frame! Has anyone out there ever jumped their cable like this, or better yet... anyone ever jump someone else's car with the tesla battery?

Mike P

Isn't there a 12v red wire inside where the tow hook goes? You put 12v to it to let you open the frunk. Guessing that is in the owner's manual. This is from the M3 manual (the pictures are missing)...

Opening with No Power

In the unlikely event that Model 3 has no 12V power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen or mobile app. To
open the front trunk in this situation:

1. Locate an external 12V power supply (such as a portable jump starter).

2. Release the tow eye cover by pressing firmly on the top right perimeter of the cover until it pivots inward, then gently pulling the raised section toward you.

Note: The tow eye cover is connected to the vehicle's red positive (+) terminal.

3. Pull the two wires out of the tow eye opening to expose both terminals.

4. Connect the 12V power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal.

5. Connect the 12V power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal.

Note: Applying external 12V power to these terminals only releases the hood latches. You cannot charge the 12V battery using these terminals.

6. Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). The hood latches are immediately released and you can now open the hood to access the front trunk area.

7. Disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.

• Disagree
Reactions: TJtv
I can't quite recall the orientation of the battery, but I believe that the positive terminal is exposed that you connect the positive jump lead to or there is a specific post that is connected to the positive lead - noted with a red cap. Then you connect the negative to the frame. It just needs to be connected long enough to boot the computers so you can get in for the car to turn on the DC to DC converter.

I'm curious to hear more about how it got in this state. It was mentioned that it was left plugged in, I would have expected it to restart charging once needed. Did you specifically have it stop charging from the app?

This is the model X forum

The X (and S’s) have TWO strings to pull. Please read.

For anyone with an S or X, may be a good time to pop off the tow hook cover and be sure you can reach the two pull strings before an emergency arises.

Good suggestions, I am driving home and checking mine out.

I also pulled the falcon wing door speaker panels and pulled the emergency release cables to the outside and have them just hanging out of the speaker panel's edge, just in case!

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
I guess Tesla should include content from the First Responder's Guide in the vehicle (the quick card) or at least in the manual:
First Responders | Tesla

Definitely should be two pull strings, so, unless one got "cut" or is routed elsewhere (trapped behind a panel), seems a like service visit.

Going to make sure I check for the two cords (as well as the emergency door release) when I get my X.

Reactions: boaterva
mbp11. "I also pulled the falcon wing door speaker panels and pulled the emergency release cables to the outside and have them just hanging out of the speaker panel's edge, just in case!"

I used 2 plastic ties

IMG_6602 2.jpeg
IMG_6604.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: MXn00b and boaterva
mbp11. "I also pulled the falcon wing door speaker panels and pulled the emergency release cables to the outside and have them just hanging out of the speaker panel's edge, just in case!"

I used 2 plastic ties

That's definitely not a bad idea... Rather be safe than sorry - just need to make sure no one will try and pull it on purpose...