Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealer recommends iPhone reset - has anyone tried it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my iphone 7 is completely unreliable as a key. It works maybe 65% of the time and seems almost random when it does. I've tried bluetooth resets, resetting the Tesla software by holding in both steering wheel buttons, rebooting my phone, etc. The service department at the local deal told me its an iphone problem caused by a recent Apple update. I'm skeptical.

My phone is provided by my employer and has various security program on it. To reset it would be a time-consuming undertaking requiring the IT group at work to help out.

Before i go down this path, it would be helpful to know whether resetting the phone to factory defaults actually solves the connection problem and produces total reliability of the phone as a key.

Anyone tried it?

It’s likely not your iPhone software. I keep my software current and my iPhone 7 is working well these days on my five month old 3, as long as the app is open and pointed at my 3. If pointed at my S, it won’t work. It was much worse until a couple months ago and I think substantial improvement was related to a Tesla update not an iPhone update.

What I do have problems with is the charge port. It seems like I need a door ajar in order to open the port — if I’m outside the car.

Hopefully Tesla will someday provide a key fob to ensure 100% reliability.

Reactions: LSE47
It’s likely not your iPhone software. I keep my software current and my iPhone 7 is working well these days on my five month old 3, as long as the app is open and pointed at my 3. If pointed at my S, it won’t work. It was much worse until a couple months ago and I think substantial improvement was related to a Tesla update not an iPhone update.

What I do have problems with is the charge port. It seems like I need a door ajar in order to open the port — if I’m outside the car.

Hopefully Tesla will someday provide a key fob to ensure 100% reliability.

So you open the app every time you want to get in? How do you point the phone at the car, I have no idea where the bluetooth chip is in the phone.

Have you considered maybe your iPhone has a hardware issue? I have an iPhone 6 and about a year ago, the GPS and Blue Tooth antenna went bad. First the GPS went, then the Blue Tooth worked intermittently. Had the internal antenna replaced and works great again.

Reactions: Atoms
Have you tried holding out the handle for a few seconds - around 5s or so, but keep holding until the door unlocks.

It was reported here, and I've tried it and it's worked for me the last two times my iPhone 6 hasn't been recognized as a key and it's worked both times. Time will tell if this is a 100% reliable work-around, but so far, so good!