Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealers are clueless about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jim, the dealer is the next owner technically.
I do not want the dealer to know I know so I can observe as long as I can.
I told them to plug it in when I transferred the title. They chose to ignore me.
ALset4s ... I do not need a lecture from you ... MUTED.
If I did turn on the A/C it would drain the battery further, and I would consider it hacking.
But my question has not been answered ... when does Tesla remove a car from ones account? Anyone know?

What is it you don't understand. You sold the car. It's not yours. Remotely accessing the car is no different than accessing a computer that doesn't belong to you.

This. Plus, you are helping the battery to drain faster by accessing the car repeatedly. While watching a car dealer flounder is entertaining, to be sure, your actions are not appropriate, no matter how clueless the dealer is.

But my question has not been answered ... when does Tesla remove a car from ones account? Anyone know?

My insurance co sold my old Tesla at an auction. It did not get removed from my account until nearly 1 year later when, I presume, the new owner provided Tesla with ownership paperwork.

You ought to be able to tell Tesla you just sold it and get it removed from your account asap.

Did you remember to clear the homelink memory and home and work destinations?

RESET button?
Page 115 in the User Manual for a Model S.

URL = https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.PDF

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 8.27.17 PM.png

What is it you don't understand. You sold the car. It's not yours. Remotely accessing the car is no different than accessing a computer that doesn't belong to you.

Agreed!
It’s not your car and accessing it without permission could be considered illegal.
They are treating it like they would any used vehicle, just holding it until it is sent to the auction house. It’s not a problem for the car, Tesla does it as well.
Time to stop accessing the vehicle and remove the app.

I’m not sure I understood the “loosing 20 miles a day” comment. Cut us some slack here. We are EV drivers but not Tesla owners. Why would the car loose 20 miles per day. Some kind of defect? Is that why you sold it?

Thanks in advance.

Did you actually use the RESET button to reset everything, or just delete the items you mentioned above?

I would delete just the items I mentioned.

I did not have the chance to do it to mine because the 12v battery was dead less than 1 day after the accident.
It's ok, I wanted to see if the car ever came back online again so I left it on my account. Almost 1 year later it showed up on the app being charged in the Ukraine.

Ukraine? Seriously?
Minor reason I sold it was due to my moving back to Europe ... you cannot take it overseas ... voids warranty.
Are you saying it moved from Silicon Valley to the Ukraine?
Too late for me to RESET it. I am in France, "she" is in Florida.
As for page 115? I never got past page 1.
Open drivers door. Drive!

@GreenT Once you sell a car, it's not longer yours. Best to contact Tesla to remove it from you your account (I sold one, had another one totaled, Tesla removed both within few days after I asked them to). It sounds like you did the right thing and told them to plug it in when selling it. The rest is not on you. When the car goes to 0, it will not be damaged for a long time (Tesla says months IIRC), it will just go into deep shutdown and require charging before driving. So, the dealer will learn their lesson if they have to tow it to the auction or a supercharger, or keep it plugged in for a couple of days in a standard 110 before it can drive itself. Sometimes people only learn the hard way, if you pester them and they plug it in, they won't really see why they did it, so they'll do it again with the next EV. If they go to move the car and it's dead, then they have a panic trying to figure out how to revive it, so lessons learned (oh, should have plugged it in earlier) will stick better.

Ukraine? Seriously?
Minor reason I sold it was due to my moving back to Europe ... you cannot take it overseas ... voids warranty.
Are you saying it moved from Silicon Valley to the Ukraine?
Too late for me to RESET it. I am in France, "she" is in Florida.
As for page 115? I never got past page 1.
Open drivers door. Drive!

Yes, Ukraine.
The car was a total loss(salvaged) so there was no warranty to void.