Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing with Service for rattling noise fix

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I recently have my model 3 delivered (3 weeks ago) and have developing rattling/creaking noise issues.
Some creaking noise from front door window side and Some rattling from back (can't figure out what is the source) when I drive minor bumps or not smoothly paved local/highway.
I wanted to have the service to fix those things since those are from day one, getting worse everyday and I can't figure out which part is causing it.

However, the service told me if they don't hear those noise in the smooth road or it's not a consistent noise, they are not able to fix it and also they will charge me if I ask them to locate the problem. I'm wondering if this is really Tesla policy.

I'm very frustrated since these noise drives me crazy and I already missed my return window. The delivery guy committed me when I got my delivery that the service will address all problems including this noise and also paint defects. If I knew the service address my problem like this way, I should have it returned.

About my other issues for paint defects, and sunk in hood kind of thing, service also didn't address them and keep saying those are within their tolerance or can't guarantee the quality of fix ... (my hood is sunk in and have non-even gap to fender but service told me they can lift it but will cause larger gap on the front side to the front bumper. Also didn't offer anything for the uneven gap to the fender. For me looks like the hood is already bent somehow and causing the un-even gap)

I'd like to get your advices if there is any way to escalate my issues not dealing with service directly.
I have been trying to contact delivery or Tesla call center but they never answer.

I’m not sure if you’re getting the same noise I had. If the noise is coming from the b pillar area, you can see if moving the seatbelt adjuster makes a difference to confirm that’s where that noise is coming from. There’s metal against metal in that area and felt tape fixes that. That rattle seemed to be well known by one of the techs that worked on my car. There’s also a YouTube video of a guy taking apart his door just to fix that, but it’s not a small undertaking.

Reactions: dwalme
Hi,

I recently have my model 3 delivered (3 weeks ago) and have developing rattling/creaking noise issues.
Some creaking noise from front door window side and Some rattling from back (can't figure out what is the source) when I drive minor bumps or not smoothly paved local/highway.
I wanted to have the service to fix those things since those are from day one, getting worse everyday and I can't figure out which part is causing it.

However, the service told me if they don't hear those noise in the smooth road or it's not a consistent noise, they are not able to fix it and also they will charge me if I ask them to locate the problem. I'm wondering if this is really Tesla policy.

I'm very frustrated since these noise drives me crazy and I already missed my return window. The delivery guy committed me when I got my delivery that the service will address all problems including this noise and also paint defects. If I knew the service address my problem like this way, I should have it returned.

About my other issues for paint defects, and sunk in hood kind of thing, service also didn't address them and keep saying those are within their tolerance or can't guarantee the quality of fix ... (my hood is sunk in and have non-even gap to fender but service told me they can lift it but will cause larger gap on the front side to the front bumper. Also didn't offer anything for the uneven gap to the fender. For me looks like the hood is already bent somehow and causing the un-even gap)

I'd like to get your advices if there is any way to escalate my issues not dealing with service directly.
I have been trying to contact delivery or Tesla call center but they never answer.

Hi Kckoo,

I had the same issue when I first got my Model 3. I finally pinpointed the sound which is exactly what you're describing. The Noise that I had ending up being the VIN Number Plate being seated too high, so it was "scratching"/pushing against the glass when I would drive over bumps or driveways. When i finally figured it out, I stuck a business card between the VIN plate and glass to verify if it was the issue.. it totally was.. They made some adjustment to the bracket, and now it doesn't creak/rattle/squeak. I hope that helps you a bit... Sorry i dont have any issues with rattling coming from the back, but you might want to check your seatbelt adjust buttons on both sides.. that def rattles sometimes.

Things that I've fixed so far, in case it helps you find them:

Front wheel well liners rattling against inner fenders at speeds over ~40 mph. Solution - add tape/foam between liner and fender.

Center brake light lense rattling against housing. This one was a bear....had to remove all of the rear trim and remove the rear deck pad to get to the brake light. Some super glue or tape at the connection points between the lense and housing fixed it.

Seat belt adjuster buttons, as described above

Also had front door speaker connectors rattling inside the sockets with loud bass. Wrapped electrical tape around connector and re-inserted into socket on both front door speakers.

Door release buttons are now rattling with certain bass frequencies. Haven't figured out how to take them apart yet, but it's on my list.

Car is much quieter now.

Hi,

if the rear rattle is like a “flutter”, glass / metallic kind, coming from inside the car, and on the passenger side (assuming you’re in USA) of the car, I’m almost certain it’s the FM tuner box hitting the metal. The tuner is inside the roof lining and it’s basically right above the headrest of the rear passenger seat. Opening that up and tightening/insulating it will get rid of that noise completely. Just be extremely careful.

if the rear rattle is like a “flutter”, glass / metallic kind, coming from inside the car, and on the passenger side (assuming you’re in USA) of the car, I’m almost certain it’s the FM tuner box hitting the metal. The tuner is inside the roof lining and it’s basically right above the headrest of the rear passenger seat. Opening that up and tightening/insulating it will get rid of that noise completely. Just be extremely careful.
I'm experiencing the sames flutter/metallic rattle in the D/S B-pillar. SC keeps telling me they can't hear it but it's been getting louder every week and now is heard ~40mph where, when new, it was only at 70mph+. Now I get a plastic rattle as well from the bottom of the pillar section when driving over rough pavement.

SC is lazy and doesn't want to deal with it - fine. I plan to take it apart and tackle it myself with the foam tape application but I'm not happy warranty will not cover this. I literally have no other rattles in this 2020.