Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death of a reservation holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't post much here as I'm not a current owner but have future plans.

My wife's Grandfather was a reservation holder. He passed early Tuesday morning at the age of 85. I was personally closer to him than either of my paternal Grandparents and we had many conversations about Tesla. I'd like to think I'm the one who turned him onto the idea of making the reservation. Before he passed, he said many times that if he lived long enough to take delivery he would want me to have the car after he died. It's a humbling statement given my respect for the man.

The family knows how much I love Tesla and has agreed to give me his spot in line given I do the leg work on how this process happens. I searched the web, and this site, but couldn't find anyone else with the same situation.

I assume the process would involve a call/letter to Tesla legal by the executor (mother in-law) of his will.

I have the financial means to buy the car after production and understand it may be two or more years. Not sure if him being a CA resident and me being active duty military complicates matters.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike Freas

My wife's Grandfather was a reservation holder. He passed early Tuesday morning at the age of 85. I was personally closer to him than either of my paternal Grandparents and we had many conversations about Tesla. I'd like to think I'm the one who turned him onto the idea of making the reservation. Before he passed, he said many times that if he lived long enough to take delivery he would want me to have the car after he died. It's a humbling statement given my respect for the man.

The family knows how much I love Tesla and has agreed to give me his spot in line given I do the leg work on how this process happens. I searched the web, and this site, but couldn't find anyone else with the same situation.

I assume the process would involve a call/letter to Tesla legal by the executor (mother in-law) of his will.

I have the financial means to buy the car after production and understand it may be two or more years. Not sure if him being a CA resident and me being active duty military complicates matters.

Mike Freas
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.
Send an email to Tesla or call them directly. They are the only ones who can help you solve this situation.
Just be patient with the response since everyone may be busy with today's event.
Best of luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
Sorry to hear about your loss.

The first step is definitely to contact Tesla. They don't usually allow for transferring reservations, but I'm sure they'd make an exception in this case. I don't see how your state of residence should matter at this point, as it's only a reservation, not a confirmed order or the like.

I know there's an email for someone higher up in the system floating around. That may be helpful in cutting through the red tape, so to speak. Maybe someone here can provide the email.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I appreciate the replies thus far.

I don't have any intention of contacting Tesla right away as we don't even have a death certificate. Also, given I'm not the executor of his estate, I'd doubt that would talk much to me about it.

I'd like to take as much burden of my mother in law as possible so if anyone else has a point of contact for someone who can make these types of decisions I'd appreciate it.

My son and I had plans to stay up and watch the delivery event tonight. I'm still beside myself that the family would consider doing this for me.

My condolences on your loss. Grandfathers (whether one's own or another's) are special people.

Like others have said, I would wait until your situation smooths out. Have an original copy of the death certificate. Definitely contact Tesla via email (first) and explain the situation. With 400,000 or so reservations made and a lead time of up to 18 months, Tesla's executives had to have some sort of contingency plan (even though not expressly stated) available for reservation holders who die prior to being able to configure. I am not trying to be morbid here, but the odds of at least 1 in 400,000 reservation holders passing away in an 18-month period are an almost certainty.

At least I would hope that the powers that be have something in place.

Mike Freas
You might want to talk to someone about whether his reservation might be considered an asset of the estate and therefor transferable by the executor. Such a finding would likely make it easier to get Tesla to go along with it.

Reactions: garsh
I don't have any intention of contacting Tesla right away as we don't even have a death certificate. Also, given I'm not the executor of his estate, I'd doubt that would talk much to me about it.

I'd like to take as much burden of my mother in law as possible so if anyone else has a point of contact for someone who can make these types of decisions I'd appreciate it.
Sorry for your loss :/

You should still contact Tesla. But just to ask about how this process would be, and what point of contact your mother in law have to use and so on. That way you do as you statement in the last sentences quoted. For this you do not need the death certificate or have to be the executor of his estate.

Thanks everyone.

There is no specific guidance in his will about the reservation. He left everything to my mother in law who is the executor of his estate. We are early in this process and the family is still grieving. I just want to find out what needs to be done our our end for Tesla to consider our request.