Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Death Valley

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd call the campground there at Furnace Creek and verify 14-50 hookup (or make sure you have the right adapters). You can get more info here Facility Details - FURNACE CREEK, CA - Recreation.gov.

Quite a few of the sites say they have RV hookups. That seems like a good option. I'd also check with the golf course and see what they have. Lastly, I'd call Maintenance and ask about 14-50 outlets - or even just 110 to use at night.

I've stayed at the Stovepipe Wells motel a couple of times. The accommodations are decent, not fancy. The restaurant is good too. I've read reports of charging at the RV park across the road from the motel, but I haven't done that myself. As I understand it they have 14-50 outlets and the cost is very reasonable but requires a vacancy; having a vacant space at the RV park at this time of year may be problematic. On the other hand, I have driven over to Beatty to SuperCharge there so that's a good backup option. I used hardly any charge getting from Beatty to Stovepipe Wells (elevation change).

• Helpful
Reactions: bonnie and TaoJones
Which model does Yancantcook have? Last year in Feb we did DV from the 395 side (super cold last year!) and had no issues starting at Lone Pine (Ray's is a great place to stay!) at 100% and making it all the way to Furnace Creek while doing stops to sight see.

While in Furnace Creek, they have a massive RV park (for the snow birds) but have no issues with allowing us EV'ers charge up there for free, there's even an EV signup sheet to see who's who! ;)

Eat at the restaurant! look at all the old cool mining stuff, etc. It's a great place to visit!

And Manzanar also if you're on the 395 side! (we were the only ones there because it was 18* out!)

Attachments

• 20170224_173343 (1).jpg
    20170224_173343 (1).jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 120
  • 20170225_154201.jpg
    20170225_154201.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 74
We drove through Death Valley on July 23, 2016. We charged at Lone Pine, CA (105 degrees) and then made our way through Death Valley. It was 121 degrees at the hottest point in Death Valley. The only hiccup was that the AC stopped blowing cold air while we were leaving Death Valley national park. We turned off the AC for about 10 minutes and then turned it back on and it was fine. We made it to Beatty, NV and charged there and the rest of the drive was uneventful. I asked Tesla to review logs and the weren't able to see anything that indicated a failure at that time. I suspect the compressor or condenser froze up from being overworked. It was REALLY HOT.

Planning trip from sacramento to Death Valley next month but furnace creek is sold out. Any tips for where to stay and can still have charging options at night?

We stayed at Furnace Creek (Ranch) twice now and used their RV hookup - they have one dedicated for EVs. If you ask they most likely will let you use it even if you are not a guest in the resort (they let us do that one). Otherwise use one of the RV sites at the Campgrounds. Make sure you have your charging cable with you NEMA 14-50.

• Informative
Reactions: bonnie
Have no issues driving in AZ temps,, I'd like to take the S on my next trip but cant make a trip without hitting the racetrack for some photos..

I can't imagine taking any current Tesla model out to the Racetrack. Even the X, with its higher clearance, is going to get beat up by that washboard road. I want to see what range they have with the pickup, as that would seem to be the appropriate vehicle.