Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Decision on 2017 Tesla 100D vs. 2018 Tesla 100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I hope the community can help me decide on my next Tesla. Basically, I got two options on slightly used Tesla. Essentially 2017 100D and 2017 100D are the same car I believe.

Car 1: 2017 Tesla 100D with the following add-ons:

* Custom paint
* Sunroof
* Black seats with black headliner
* Enhanced Auto Pilot
* Premium interior package
* 26,000 miles
* Price: $92.3K

Car 2: 2018 Tesla 100D with the following add-ons

* Custom paint (Midnight Silver)
* Sunroof
* Enhanced Auto Pilot
* Premium interior package
* 2000 miles
* Price: $100K

Or should I look for a better deal elsewhere?

Please let me know which you would pick and why.

Thanks!

Can u pls elaborate “custom paint?” Are these factory or aftermarket painted ?

Personally in that price range I would get a new inventory model that is eligible for tax credit and may have MCU2 there are quite a few that Tesla has out there now ...

for $100K why not get a new 100D? You get the tax credit and free supercharging if you use a referral code.

Or look for a new inventory car. Even with a new inventory car, you can still qualify for the tax credit and free supercharging (with use of code).

Reactions: IdaX
Can u pls elaborate “custom paint?” Are these factory or aftermarket painted ?

Personally in that price range I would get a new inventory model that is eligible for tax credit and may have MCU2 there are quite a few that Tesla has out there now ...

Thanks for the reply. Yes these are just the $1000 custom paint option offered by Tesla. They are not aftermarket paint.

for $100K why not get a new 100D? You get the tax credit and free supercharging if you use a referral code.

Or look for a new inventory car. Even with a new inventory car, you can still qualify for the tax credit and free supercharging (with use of code).

Both of these cars retail at $110K roughly each. Both cars still qualify for the tax credit and come with free supercharging.

With the US $7500 rebate and potentially a state rebate on a new car, doesn't make sense to purchase a used Tesla for around $100K.

The owner with the 2017 Tesla is being unrealistic on the price. The car's value should depreciate roughly 2% per month, so an S 100D is going to be worth much less than $92K after a year.

As for differences between the two models, the 2017 likely has one advantage - it should have an AM radio. Tesla has never offered AM in a Model X or 3, and it was removed from the Model S when they shifted to the new MCU2 console processors (the 2018 likely doesn't have AM radio).

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
If both qualify for the tax credit, they could be loaners or demo cars.

In that case, even with the tax credit, you're getting a car that may have seen relatively rough use, from many drivers - like you would get if buying a used car from a rental company.

$8k doesn't seem like nearly enough for 26k miles and a year or two old. Typical first year depreciation is 20%, two year is 30% so I'd be looking for something in the mid to low $80s for a car with 26k miles on it.

The other question is when is the 2018 from? Around April they started putting the MCU2 in the cars.

Have you considered doing a lease on the 2017? Usually inventory cars with large showroom discounts have great lease deals on them.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
Here's a 100D for $86K with slightly fewer miles. Perhaps you can make an offer for $82-84. If you can negotiate to get the car below for $82K, that would be a make for a great buy!

I agree with @jaguar36, you should not pay more than low 80s for a 2017 100D. I would look for a 2017 100D for the low 80s and put whatever you save not buying a 2018 100D towards buying Tesla stock. :D

Model S / 2017 / Midnight Silver - 3dd10 | Only Used Tesla

Reactions: CotswoldSara