TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Decision on 2017 Tesla 100D vs. 2018 Tesla 100D

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bahusky, Sep 3, 2018.

1. bahusky

bahusky Member

Hi,

I hope the community can help me decide on my next Tesla. Basically, I got two options on slightly used Tesla. Essentially 2017 100D and 2017 100D are the same car I believe.

Car 1: 2017 Tesla 100D with the following add-ons:

* Custom paint
    * Sunroof
    * Black seats with black headliner
    * Enhanced Auto Pilot
    * Premium interior package
    * 26,000 miles
    * Price: $92.3K

Car 2: 2018 Tesla 100D with the following add-ons

* Custom paint (Midnight Silver)
    * Sunroof
    * Enhanced Auto Pilot
    * Premium interior package
    * 2000 miles
    * Price: $100K

Or should I look for a better deal elsewhere?

Please let me know which you would pick and why.

Thanks!

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Can u pls elaborate “custom paint?” Are these factory or aftermarket painted ?

Personally in that price range I would get a new inventory model that is eligible for tax credit and may have MCU2 there are quite a few that Tesla has out there now ...

3. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

i wouldn't pay $92k for a car with 26k miles. just my two cents.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

for $100K why not get a new 100D? You get the tax credit and free supercharging if you use a referral code.

Or look for a new inventory car. Even with a new inventory car, you can still qualify for the tax credit and free supercharging (with use of code).

• Like x 1
  5. bahusky

bahusky Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes these are just the $1000 custom paint option offered by Tesla. They are not aftermarket paint.

6. bahusky

bahusky Member

Both of these cars retail at $110K roughly each. Both cars still qualify for the tax credit and come with free supercharging.

7. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

CA has a $2500 rebate as well, so with a $10k potential discount its better just to get brand new.

8. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

With the US $7500 rebate and potentially a state rebate on a new car, doesn't make sense to purchase a used Tesla for around $100K.

The owner with the 2017 Tesla is being unrealistic on the price. The car's value should depreciate roughly 2% per month, so an S 100D is going to be worth much less than $92K after a year.

As for differences between the two models, the 2017 likely has one advantage - it should have an AM radio. Tesla has never offered AM in a Model X or 3, and it was removed from the Model S when they shifted to the new MCU2 console processors (the 2018 likely doesn't have AM radio).

• Informative x 1
  9. prash

prash Member

So are these showroom models from Tesla?Thats the only way you are still eligible for the 7500$ tax credit. But I think 92.3k is still high price for a 100D with around 20k miles

• Like x 1
  10. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

If both qualify for the tax credit, they could be loaners or demo cars.

In that case, even with the tax credit, you're getting a car that may have seen relatively rough use, from many drivers - like you would get if buying a used car from a rental company.

11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

$8k doesn't seem like nearly enough for 26k miles and a year or two old. Typical first year depreciation is 20%, two year is 30% so I'd be looking for something in the mid to low $80s for a car with 26k miles on it.

The other question is when is the 2018 from? Around April they started putting the MCU2 in the cars.

Have you considered doing a lease on the 2017? Usually inventory cars with large showroom discounts have great lease deals on them.

• Informative x 1
  12. CotswoldSara

CotswoldSara Member

Hey @bahusky which car did you pick in the end? Do you need a referral code? The free unlimited supercharging offer runs out in a few days time.

13. PhilDavid

PhilDavid Active Member

Here's a 100D for $86K with slightly fewer miles. Perhaps you can make an offer for $82-84. If you can negotiate to get the car below for $82K, that would be a make for a great buy!

I agree with @jaguar36, you should not pay more than low 80s for a 2017 100D. I would look for a 2017 100D for the low 80s and put whatever you save not buying a 2018 100D towards buying Tesla stock. :D

Model S / 2017 / Midnight Silver - 3dd10 | Only Used Tesla

• Like x 1