Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dedham MA waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been lurking around the forums for a while trying to quietly manage my model 3 obsession (addiction). I was planning on waiting for the SR knowing that I would probably only have a chance of getting 1/2 tax credit, or even possible only 1/4 credit. Decided to put an order in for the MR on the 20th figuring that the chance of getting full credit and a great chance of getting 1/2 credit would make it a lot easier to pay for. So I ordered a MR, DBM, Black, Aero, w/o EAP.

I took the wife for a test drive yesterday in Natick. I absolutely loved the car and was not disappointed (which I was worried about), and discovered two things.
1. I commented on how surprised I was at how well the auto wipers worked, and the co-pilot agreed, saying that he was surprised as well o_O.
2. The apparently have more than a few un-claimed cars waiting for "forever homes". I was told that I could even buy the test drive car with a $1000 discount. I thought about it and after a little math decided against it. Even with the discount and the guaranteed full credit the LR would still be more expensive than the MR with half credit (not by a lot), and I don't need the LR at all. We decided to take the gamble and hope for getting the full credit and paying a whole lot less, and worst case we pay a little less.

I think they had RWD, Dual Motor, and maybe even Performance models available. If anyone is still waiting for vins maybe call them and see if you could get one of those.

• Informative
Reactions: hithian and qwer
2. The apparently have more than a few un-claimed cars waiting for "forever homes". I was told that I could even buy the test drive car with a $1000 discount. I thought about it and after a little math decided against it. Even with the discount and the guaranteed full credit the LR would still be more expensive than the MR with half credit (not by a lot), and I don't need the LR at all. We decided to take the gamble and hope for getting the full credit and paying a whole lot less, and worst case we pay a little less.

I think they had RWD, Dual Motor, and maybe even Performance models available. If anyone is still waiting for vins maybe call them and see if you could get one of those.

Do you mean that I can call the Dedham center and ask them if they have a car matching my needs?

he definitely made it seam like I could have found a car on his list that was close enough not to need a delivery fee and have it within a week (I think that's what he said), and even bought the car that I test drove and have it in less than that time.
Knowing what I’m going through, if you could look at car before making a decision, I would recommend anyone to do this. It’s a crapshoot if your car will be one of the “better” ones.

I was scheduled for a delivery 11/8 2pm but had trouble reaching them. I finally got through today and was told that although my car was in Dedham on Monday it had been moved to a storage lot in Rhode Island and would not likely not make it back to Dedham until next week, I'm still going tomorrow to sort out the paperwork and hopefully arrange a real delivery, perhaps a home delivery.

I was scheduled for a delivery 11/8 2pm but had trouble reaching them. I finally got through today and was told that although my car was in Dedham on Monday it had been moved to a storage lot in Rhode Island and would not likely not make it back to Dedham until next week, I'm still going tomorrow to sort out the paperwork and hopefully arrange a real delivery, perhaps a home delivery.

Sounds like it is worth confirming delivery a day or so before.

Although I was told my car was stuck in RI, it was there when I went to do paperwork on Thursday. It took 4 hours of slightly controlled chaos to drive away, but the car was virtually perfect (one tiny paint scrape at the headlight and the headlight assembly may need some adjustment). They dealt with redoing the registry forms due to a price adjustment, and they took a personal check with no hesitation. I offered to do ACH but they seemed to prefer the check since it saved a few minutes.

At one point while I was waiting I found the car on the lot and went through my checklist. As it turned out, it was getting dark when I got the formal orientation so it was good I did that. It was the "orienteer's" second car so I knew more about the car then he did.

So I had put together a "delivery kit" but the one thing I forgot was a snack. I didn't mind waiting, but there were numerous folks expecting to be out within an hour, but 3-4 was the the norm. There was one young woman who had been there three hours when I got there at 1pm, and didn't get out til about 3:30 - and she had been there several hours the day before. The Hooters next door probably gets some extra takeout business.

• Informative
Reactions: amhcaveman
So I had put together a "delivery kit" but the one thing I forgot was a snack. I didn't mind waiting, but there were numerous folks expecting to be out within an hour, but 3-4 was the the norm. There was one young woman who had been there three hours when I got there at 1pm, and didn't get out til about 3:30 - and she had been there several hours the day before. The Hooters next door probably gets some extra takeout business.

Congratulations! Glad to know that everything went over smoothly. What is this "delivery kit" you are talking about. Is it just things like checklist, torch (in case it gets dark), etc?