Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered less than one month. Already many chips on bumper!!

How many people have poor paint issue on model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 58 75.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

Just got my mode 3 black delivered less than a month ago. Drives less than 950miles. Only on routine route back to work like what I had with my older vehicle. Today I noticed a few rock chips at the bumper. I live in the city and don’t expect a lot of sand or rock on the way to my work place. The paint quality seems very inferior.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully got Tesla yo fix it? In the long run, I’m pretty sure this paint won’t last long.

Advise greatly appreciated. I don’t want to pay extra for more work to protect the paint, as I expect this brand new paint to at least resist normal road conditions.

Might be worth asking an independent paint expert to look at it. If it's getting excessively damaged then the clear coat might be too thin, something like that. If the original paint was bad it might have been stripped and repainted, but then not finished properly.

Need pics. Chips in the bumper may seem more common since the bumper has no grill like other cars.

Hi guys,

Just got my mode 3 black delivered less than a month ago. Drives less than 950miles. Only on routine route back to work like what I had with my older vehicle. Today I noticed a few rock chips at the bumper. I live in the city and don’t expect a lot of sand or rock on the way to my work place. The paint quality seems very inferior.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully got Tesla yo fix it? In the long run, I’m pretty sure this paint won’t last long.

Advise greatly appreciated. I don’t want to pay extra for more work to protect the paint, as I expect this brand new paint to at least resist normal road conditions.

However some batches are not as good as others. So yes there might be paint issues. However talking to the technician who wrapped my car, nowadays paint quality is not as good because of environmental regulations. It is good news for the wrapping business.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
While I agree Tesla paint doesn't seem 'inferior', I'd like to share our experiences with a Pearl White Model 3 and a Blue Model 3-- NIGHT AND DAY differences!

I have washed them both, back to back in an afternoon and the pearl white paint is smooth as glass and dirt just wipes off easily when washing. There's something FAR different going on with my husband's blue paint. It's more pourous and grainy and you have to really apply a lot of rubbing pressure to get it clean.
It seriously takes me minutes to wash my white, and twice as long to wash his. And then after they dry, my white is glossy and shiny and his is dull and still has many dirty spots that I have to go back over again!!
The most telling difference is just running your hand over the wet hoods: white is smooth as glass; blue feels sandy or gritty (when clean).
Seriously a HUGE difference. I quit washing his because it's too timely and exhausting.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo
While I agree Tesla paint doesn't seem 'inferior', I'd like to share our experiences with a Pearl White Model 3 and a Blue Model 3-- NIGHT AND DAY differences!

I have washed them both, back to back in an afternoon and the pearl white paint is smooth as glass and dirt just wipes off easily when washing. There's something FAR different going on with my husband's blue paint. It's more pourous and grainy and you have to really apply a lot of rubbing pressure to get it clean.
It seriously takes me minutes to wash my white, and twice as long to wash his. And then after they dry, my white is glossy and shiny and his is dull and still has many dirty spots that I have to go back over again!!
The most telling difference is just running your hand over the wet hoods: white is smooth as glass; blue feels sandy or gritty (when clean).
Seriously a HUGE difference. I quit washing his because it's too timely and exhausting.
All cars are easy to clean once a proper sealant/wax layers are built. Mine is blue, cleaning it is easy just like other car I had.

Are you talking about the metallic flecks in the Deep Blue Metallic paint? Or is it actual surface? Have you tried a clay bar some other polishing approach? (In a little, out of the way corner)
Yes it's the surface. Metallic flakes are a visual difference. This roughness can be felt easily- more so when car is wet and clean. It's almost like the smoothest grain sandpaper. Even water runs/ beads up differently on the two cars. Our blue is clearly different than the white. We havent tried the clay bar. It's worth a try. I firmly believe the Pearl White "multi coat" is just that MULTI coats, where the blue feels like a base coat. White feels thicker/harder and definitely smoother.

To Runnergirl
According to the people who wrapped my car, some cars are better painted than other which is regrettable.
So it might be the case of your husband blue car ?

Yes I agree. He had an early build and I think it's just a symptom of an early adopter maybe.. . We love them both and drive them daily and don't talk about their flaws in front of them ;)

Reactions: Fred42 and PJFW8