Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered less than one month. Already many chips on bumper!!

How many people have poor paint issue on model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 58 75.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed, I was going to get it wrapped but I figure once the car gets chipped to where it starts looking fugly I’ll wrap it then.

All of my previous vehicles have been suvs or trucks and they all have a plastic or chrome bumber and are high off the ground... got to expect with a car with paint that low there is gonna be rocks hitting it. Protect it live with it... I wonder how other cars with low fronts deal with this.

Ultimately waiting will probably cost you more in paint correction. And all you need to do is have someone scrape your car with a shopping cart etc and you will incur even more cost, which PPF likely would have prevented reaching to the paint level. Saved us a few times already on our MS.

PPF is like 4-5gs... which is about how much it costs to paint a car..

but once PPF is applied it continues to protect the car from scratches and rock chips where as a new paint job will keep getting those rock chips and shopping cart and door dings and looking like it needs correction again. With PPF if one section gets damaged, it can be replaced, while the rest of the car stays protected.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
PPF is like 4-5gs... which is about how much it costs to paint a car..
Under $1000 if you're handy and willing to try to do it yourself. I did my doors, $400, 30" partial hood wrapped edges, partial fender, mirrors, $180, rockers $120. Front bumper is on the way, $180. I used 3M Scotchgard Pro from invisiblemask.com. There's another site that will pre-cut Xpel, carprotectionpros.com. All the parts I've done are fairly easy, since they're mostly flat, except for the mirrors. The front bumper will be the hardest, but I saved that for last since I practiced on all the other parts.

Under $1000 if you're handy and willing to try to do it yourself. I did my doors, $400, 30" partial hood wrapped edges, partial fender, mirrors, $180, rockers $120. Front bumper is on the way, $180. I used 3M Scotchgard Pro from invisiblemask.com. There's another site that will pre-cut Xpel, carprotectionpros.com. All the parts I've done are fairly easy, since they're mostly flat, except for the mirrors. The front bumper will be the hardest, but I saved that for last since I practiced on all the other parts.

good luck on the front bumper. It was by far the hardest piece to do. It would have if you have another help you hold one edge in place while you pull on the other.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
good luck on the front bumper. It was by far the hardest piece to do. It would have if you have another help you hold one edge in place while you pull on the other.
Thanks, I know it's going to be a bear. The top edge is wrapped, so I'll start at the top, and stick that piece good (no soapy water), then work on half at a time, start working down and to the edge, pulling all the way. I may slice the precut where the bumper creases out of view, just to make it a little easier.

Hi guys,

Just got my mode 3 black delivered less than a month ago. Drives less than 950miles. Only on routine route back to work like what I had with my older vehicle. Today I noticed a few rock chips at the bumper. I live in the city and don’t expect a lot of sand or rock on the way to my work place. The paint quality seems very inferior.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully got Tesla yo fix it? In the long run, I’m pretty sure this paint won’t last long.

Advise greatly appreciated. I don’t want to pay extra for more work to protect the paint, as I expect this brand new paint to at least resist normal road conditions.
Aerodynamic cars are just more prone to rock chips than square cars. This was true when I had the 1969 DS-21, the 2004 Prius, and it's true today. There are three solutions. 1) install PPF, 2) get a colour that is close to the bare metal colour 3) get a wrap that will chip, but is less expensive to install (and replace).

The first thing I did was get PPF on my front after I bought the car. If you do any sort of freeway driving and care you for your paint, ppf is a must. Most vehicle paint nowadays are “soft” and need to be protected somehow. Unfortunately, this isn’t a Tesla specific problem.

While I agree Tesla paint doesn't seem 'inferior', I'd like to share our experiences with a Pearl White Model 3 and a Blue Model 3-- NIGHT AND DAY differences!

I have washed them both, back to back in an afternoon and the pearl white paint is smooth as glass and dirt just wipes off easily when washing. There's something FAR different going on with my husband's blue paint. It's more pourous and grainy and you have to really apply a lot of rubbing pressure to get it clean.
It seriously takes me minutes to wash my white, and twice as long to wash his. And then after they dry, my white is glossy and shiny and his is dull and still has many dirty spots that I have to go back over again!!
The most telling difference is just running your hand over the wet hoods: white is smooth as glass; blue feels sandy or gritty (when clean).
Seriously a HUGE difference. I quit washing his because it's too timely and exhausting.
What you’re experiencing is the darker paint showing more imperfections. This is universal to all vehicles. Blue and black will show any paint defects and it sounds like your blue has tons of it. White paint hides most defects and you cannot see them in most conditions.

Some (well, actually all) of the blue Model 3's I've seen look gorgeous. When you said a White vs Blue I thought for sure you were gonna say the White was the problem. Because there were lots of issues with White for a while. Blue was one of my top choices. I ended up Midnight Silver.

Someone visited me with a 1 year old Red Model 3. It didn't look so good. Really looked dull. My 12 year old fire engine red Jeep I sold had better looking paint (at least where it wasn't rusted out it was ;) )

I've noticed a very distinguishable difference before and after washing the multi-coat red. After two weeks of dirt build-up on roads here, the red becomes dull and ordinary. After cleaning, and especially after polishing it really shines - and people do notice.

Recently, at the auto shows and on a growing number of vehicles, I've encountered a really deep red which I haven't seen before. I first noticed it on the 2019 Accura NSX, and on a few other foreign cars (not super-class). It is a complex, dark and deep (almost bottomless) sparkling color which is difficult to describe (or capture on film). I have not seen the new Roadster in person, but it would look amazing on it.

IMG_5093.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hi guys,

Just got my mode 3 black delivered less than a month ago. Drives less than 950miles. Only on routine route back to work like what I had with my older vehicle. Today I noticed a few rock chips at the bumper. I live in the city and don’t expect a lot of sand or rock on the way to my work place. The paint quality seems very inferior.

Has anyone had this problem and successfully got Tesla yo fix it? In the long run, I’m pretty sure this paint won’t last long.

Advise greatly appreciated. I don’t want to pay extra for more work to protect the paint, as I expect this brand new paint to at least resist normal road conditions.
Is this your first post on this forum? Have you looked at anything people have written about their Tesla? This is not news. The paint sucks, either get PPF, resign yourself to the fact it will not be a show car, or sell it.

I'll point out another positive reason to get PPF over a new paint job, the longer you keep your original paint the higher value your car will have when it comes time to sell. Might be an consideration for some depending on how long you intend to keep the car.