Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivered with Rust on brake rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cuba

Mar 14, 2022
Perth
I just went to check out my Tesla predelivery and saw rust inside the wheel hubs. Tesla say this is "extremely normal". I am concerned that if rust is showing pre-delivery , what will it be like in 12 months. Not to mention that Australian consumer law sets minimum standards of "acceptable quality" which includes new cars bring delivered free from rust. What to do?

• Funny
Reactions: ARMARM
I just went to check out my Tesla predelivery and saw rust inside the wheel hubs. Tesla say this is "extremely normal". I am concerned that if rust is showing pre-delivery , what will it be like in 12 months. Not to mention that Australian consumer law sets minimum standards of "acceptable quality" which includes new cars bring delivered free from rust. What to do?

If you are referring to "Inside the Wheel Hubs" as being the Brake Discs themselves... then I'd expect there to be some surface rust on these and that it would disappear after driving for a small distance.
Do you have any pictures?

Normal mate, most steel has some % content of iron and will develop surface rust.. Wash a brand new AMG and you'll be surprised how much rust forms in a short period..

Wouldn't advise giving anybody at Tesla the "consumer Law" speech, you'll just look silly.

If you want to avoid it for whatever reason..drive the car after being washed for a few minutes.

Tesla OEM parts mostly come with grey coating, my stock brake sits outdoor for 2 years and almost zero rust.
Most of the aftermarket rotors [like image below] will rust after car wash or heavy rain.

You need to use brush/sand it down, then apply high-temp protective paint (not on the contact surface). I have white rim, and have less brown ugly rust after painted.

9518abc3-a3c8-4838-a598-4f4cb33134b8.jpg

2c4fd2dc-ca13-412b-8c4d-3ae054e83dc2.jpg

6a5d969b-fb57-493c-a2e0-a11adf667e61.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman