Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Canceled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We were scheduled to pick up the Y today and received a call stating that their delivery inspection caught a fender color issue, so they canceled our delivery until this is fixed. They said it could take as long as Thursday.

It's too bad that Tesla factory quality is so low that they let these vehicles leave and wait for it to be found downstream. At least they called us before we left.

I have my deliver scheduled tomorrow at the Buena Park location. Spoke with the delivery advisor and they said they check all vehicles at the site before releasing to customers. I hope they are meticulous as it seems the Costa Mesa location is regarding finding any faults and delaying rather than just releasing it out.

Reactions: anon125110
Same thing happened for me two weeks ago (Carlsbad CA) - and now I have one with a different VIN, so it isn't the same vehicle fixed. This one looks very good, only issue is that a few panel gaps are uneven, but the critical ones (hatch, frunk etc.) are good so no reason to have anything fixed.

I just received my VIN today and I'm hesitant about going through with it because of the flaws I'm reading about. Last five digits of VIN is 110XX with delivery at Costa Mesa, CA. Will they allow me to drive down there to check out the car before I go any further without submitting payment in advance?

We were scheduled to pick up the Y today and received a call stating that their delivery inspection caught a fender color issue, so they canceled our delivery until this is fixed. They said it could take as long as Thursday.

Color matching can be tricky depending upon the lighting present at the time of inspection. It was likely a very close match but the particular lighting at the delivery inspection revealed a slight mismatch. I know you are anxious to take delivery of your new Tesla but you should be impressed they are keeping such high standards. They could have said, "Well, it made it this far so let's see if the customer notices". And if it was missed during the factory inspection, chances are a lot of customers never would have noticed either.

But they did the right thing and are shooting for perfection.

Reactions: BMax_V.2
Color matching can be tricky depending upon the lighting present at the time of inspection. It was likely a very close match but the particular lighting at the delivery inspection revealed a slight mismatch. I know you are anxious to take delivery of your new Tesla but you should be impressed they are keeping such high standards. They could have said, "Well, it made it this far so let's see if the customer notices". And if it was missed during the factory inspection, chances are a lot of customers never would have noticed either.

But they did the right thing and are shooting for perfection.

I agree that it's good that they caught this before we went in. It's just disappointing, and wondering why their delivery centers have higher standards for paint color than the factory does

Got our MY today and we're pretty happy with it. Went thru the checklist as best we could and found a number of small gap issues. The biggest issue was the front trunk was pretty uneven on the passenger side compared to the driver side. They were able to adjust it slightly but the gap was still there.

There were a handful of other issues that they were able to improve, but not completely fix, while we waited.

Later they told us that the vehicle was "in spec" and that our only options were to accept the remaining issues or to leave the vehicle and go back into the queue for another vehicle with the same specs.

In the end we felt that the issues were minor enough and decided to take it home. Waiting for another one would have been rolling the dice in terms of other issues.

There were a handful of other issues that they were able to improve, but not completely fix, while we waited.

Later they told us that the vehicle was "in spec" and that our only options were to accept the remaining issues or to leave the vehicle and go back into the queue for another vehicle with the same specs.

In the end we felt that the issues were minor enough and decided to take it home. Waiting for another one would have been rolling the dice in terms of other issues.

This was basically the same story with my last purchase.

It’s sad this has be Tesla’s standard for quality control. The issues are fairly consistent. Seems illogical that things like panel fit cant be perfect.