Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Cancelled: Software Update Required

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is possible that these delays are waiting for the recent EPA eMPG rating to become offical and the cars released.

Imagine that the latest firmware release is simply not buttoned up yet. Might take some time to get it released.

Then the cars can be delivered to eagerly awaiting customers.

Might be having the same issue with releasing the latest Model Y to customers.

It is possible that these delays are waiting for the recent EPA eMPG rating to become offical and the cars released.

Imagine that the latest firmware release is simply not buttoned up yet. Might take some time to get it released.

that’s also a possibility. My S100D was on an epa hold for weeks.

Nope, my car was delivered with a 299 miles range, 113mpge, built in March yesterday. I have the windows sticker next to me.

Only noobs look at miles, it is a guess o meter. Do yourself a favor and start looking at percentages

Nope, my car was delivered with a 299 miles range, 113mpge, built in March yesterday. I have the windows sticker next to me.

Only noobs look at miles, it is a guess o meter. Do yourself a favor and start looking at percentages

Teslas do not have a "guess o meter" like other EVs, but I am not sure if you are using the term like other EVs, or just in general saying that the number doesnt matter.

Your car likely doesnt have 18 or 19 inch wheels, correct?

Update from store manager:

When the car arrived from Fremont an additional inspection had been flagged on the rear end drive unit. The car is currently at the service center but we do not have visibility into if they are just doing additional checks, if there is an actual problem, or when the car will be made available for delivery. We ask that you be patient with us and give us another 14 days to make good on the delivery.

Update from store manager:

When the car arrived from Fremont an additional inspection had been flagged on the rear end drive unit. The car is currently at the service center but we do not have visibility into if they are just doing additional checks, if there is an actual problem, or when the car will be made available for delivery. We ask that you be patient with us and give us another 14 days to make good on the delivery.

So...the car may have a bad rear drive unit. The service center may be looking at it. And if they are, they are not planning on discussing it with us. So just wait around for another two weeks and we’ll see if we actually get around to doing anything with your car. If not, we’ll call you back and let you know it may be another few weeks, or longer.

Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. I’d just request another VIN at this point. This is unfortunately Tesla at its worst.

Reactions: jjrandorin
So...the car may have a bad rear drive unit. The service center may be looking at it. And if they are, they are not planning on discussing it with us. So just wait around for another two weeks and we’ll see if we actually get around to doing anything with your car. If not, we’ll call you back and let you know it may be another few weeks, or longer.

Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. I’d just request another VIN at this point. This is unfortunately Tesla at its worst.

We knew there was "some" other story other than "software update". If I was OP I would absolutely request a new VIN at this point..... which is ABSOLUTELY why tesla was trying very hard not to tell OP. They know that if they say "your brand new car that you have never driven arrived with a major part we have to replace" that most people are going to say "nope, give me another one then".

We knew there was "some" other story other than "software update". If I was OP I would absolutely request a new VIN at this point..... which is ABSOLUTELY why tesla was trying very hard not to tell OP. They know that if they say "your brand new car that you have never driven arrived with a major part we have to replace" that most people are going to say "nope, give me another one then".

But the fact that they lied to the customer about it is not good. Tesla is not going to build customer loyalty by being dishonest.

But the fact that they lied to the customer about it is not good. Tesla is not going to build customer loyalty by being dishonest.

I dont see it as "dishonest" I see it as "not telling the entire truth". It sounds like semantics, but, for example "software update" could absolutely be true. The car may need a software update after the rear drive unit is installed, for example. So, saying "software update" may not be a "lie" but isnt the entire truth.

I am not trying to defend them, of course. I agree with you, but, to be fair, in most car dealers, the "front line salesperson" would not have access to the real reason anyway. They would just be told the minimum needed to pass onto the customer. A seasoned salesperson might have access, but...

Its not a coincidence that the "store manager" is the one who had to get the information on the car, for example. It would be a "store manager / general manager / Sales manager", in a traditional dealership too. The salesperson is kept in the dark, on purpose.

Note, just to be clear, I am not saying that this half truth is right, but it may not be an out and out lie.... but the effect to the customer is similar.

I dont see it as "dishonest" I see it as "not telling the entire truth". It sounds like semantics, but, for example "software update" could absolutely be true. The car may need a software update after the rear drive unit is installed, for example. So, saying "software update" may not be a "lie" but isnt the entire truth.

I am not trying to defend them, of course. I agree with you, but, to be fair, in most car dealers, the "front line salesperson" would not have access to the real reason anyway. They would just be told the minimum needed to pass onto the customer. A seasoned salesperson might have access, but...

Its not a coincidence that the "store manager" is the one who had to get the information on the car, for example. It would be a "store manager / general manager / Sales manager", in a traditional dealership too. The salesperson is kept in the dark, on purpose.

Note, just to be clear, I am not saying that this half truth is right, but it may not be an out and out lie.... but the effect to the customer is similar.

I can’t speak to how things work in Utah where the OP is based. But in Costa Mesa the delivery center and service center are within walking distance of each other. The sales reps routinely take the cars back to the service center to resolve minor issues that need to be addressed prior to delivery. There is nothing preventing a salesperson from walking into the delivery center and speaking with the tech who is working on a car. So if the salesperson wanted to find out what is going on, there is nothing preventing them from doing so.

The lack of communication here is just part of the culture of the company. There is nobody driving the need for better and more transparent communication with customers. It’s a general lack of leadership in anything related to sales and customer service that has constantly dogged this company. They just get away with it because their cars are so much better than any other EV available that we really have no choice but to tolerate it until something better comes along.

I can’t speak to how things work in Utah where the OP is based. But in Costa Mesa the delivery center and service center are within walking distance of each other. The sales reps routinely take the cars back to the service center to resolve minor issues that need to be addressed prior to delivery. There is nothing preventing a salesperson from walking into the delivery center and speaking with the tech who is working on a car. So if the salesperson wanted to find out what is going on, there is nothing preventing them from doing so.

The lack of communication here is just part of the culture of the company. There is nobody driving the need for better and more transparent communication with customers. It’s a general lack of leadership in anything related to sales and customer service that has constantly dogged this company. They just get away with it because their cars are so much better than any other EV available that we really have no choice but to tolerate it until something better comes along.

In san diego, previous to the Carlsbad combined location opening recently, the delivery center and service center were separate, so I dont think an assumption can be made either way on whether they are combined or not. It feels like I am disagreeing with you, but I really am not (or only slightly so). IF they are connected, then it would be easy for them to get information. If they arent, it isnt (even though they are internal).

I stood and watched the carlsbad service center try to contact another service center to see if they had replacement wheels for me when I damaged 2 of them in a pothole. It took them 45 minutes to get someone to respond... even via their internal email / chats etc.... and thats service center to service center.

• Helpful
Reactions: usujason
Teslas do not have a "guess o meter" like other EVs, but I am not sure if you are using the term like other EVs, or just in general saying that the number doesnt matter.

Your car likely doesnt have 18 or 19 inch wheels, correct?

The only accurate gom was my rav4 ev, the leaf one is junk, the Tesla ones are junk too. I don’t need it to tel me I have 250 miles and then it turns into 150. I might as well do some mental gymnastics and see how many miles I can get for every 10%

co-worker canceled their 3 due to 'issues' that caused weeks of delays. If you take delivery of a ride that has issues from the get go, you will rue the day. This from personal experience. Our 2016 S didn't make it home. Unloaded it on a poor unsuspecting buyer. Our 2017 X at least lasted a few weeks before we started spending WAY too much time - regularly traveling to & from the SC. Used up the rest of our bad luck for the rest of the millennium - hopefully.

Last edited:
co-worker canceled their 3 due to 'issues' that caused weeks of delays. If you take delivery of a ride that has issues from the get go, you will rue the day. This from personal experience. Our 2016 S didn't make it home. Unloaded it on a poor unsuspecting buyer. Our 2017 X at least lasted a few weeks before we started spending WAY too much time - regularly traveling to & from the SC. Used up the rest of our bad luck for the rest of the millennium - hopefully.

sigh :confused:

Update:

I'll make this my final update and hope this tread is of value to those reading it. Delivery cancelled again and rescheduled for March 23. At this point, i've decided to cancel my order and purchase a different brand of vehicle. From what i've heard, the Tesla driving experience is amazing but it just feels like this isn't meant to be.

The only accurate gom was my rav4 ev, the leaf one is junk, the Tesla ones are junk too. I don’t need it to tel me I have 250 miles and then it turns into 150. I might as well do some mental gymnastics and see how many miles I can get for every 10%

Teslas is not a GOM. Its simply EPA range.
Update:

I'll make this my final update and hope this tread is of value to those reading it. Delivery cancelled again and rescheduled for March 23. At this point, i've decided to cancel my order and purchase a different brand of vehicle. From what i've heard, the Tesla driving experience is amazing but it just feels like this isn't meant to be.

Why not just ask for another VIN instead of purchasing another vehicle (or is that what the delay to march 23rd was? Stuff like this happens to new cars all the time (not just tesla). BMW has a whole "vehicle processing center" that cars go through when they are shipped from Germany, and Shipping damage etc is repaired there if needed.... and customers never know if their car was one that needed repairs or not.

I think there is some value like, if the damage is less than some percentage (10%?) they dont even have to tell you.

I know it sucks hearing that your new car might have needed some repairs, but that doesnt mean that every new tesla does. These boards can make someone feel like that, because they can become an echo chamber of people complaining about stuff. If I was you, I would just get a different vin number but not cancel all together unless you were not sure you wanted one in the first place.

Update:

No doubt you have had a bad experience. I can’t blame you for being fed up.

What are you planning to buy?