Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Day Dec. 6, 2022. The Good, The Bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoiler Alert... it was mostly all good. ;)

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Most cars on the lot were Freemont. Only spotted one Austin.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
New cameras? I don't know.
None of the doors were difficult to open or close.
Was charged to 89% at pickup.
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.
Firmware update was last performed today! So I guess it is up-to-date.

Mailed off the Illinois Rebate an hour later.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

Couple of fitment issues. Misaligned back left tail light portion on the hatch.
i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

and another rear lower right window trim mismatch
i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻

Last edited:
Did you have to sign the purchasing agreement before you were able to inspect the car? And can you pay with a check? It's my first Tesla, and I've owned many BMWs and Porsches before. All were paid by check at the dealership AFTER I was given the opportunity to inspect the car. I just got an email stating that my VIN is assigned. A SA wasn't assigned to me, nor any instructions on payment method or anything else. My MYLR is from Fremont.

No, we didn't have to sign anything first. It's back to the good 'ol days, apparently. We got there an hour early. Car was out front. Took a very long look while going over the checklist that someone had posted on these forums a while back. I updated that checklist to include newer changes and features to look at, and added what we should bring to the appointment (you know, like the payment, etc.) The car was unlocked and we could look at it inside and out, and even play with the screen. The car was in some pre-delivery state that wasn't locked, and not yet able to be driven. Surely didn't expect that from the 2020-pandemic-ish delivery instructions they robo-text you with. This was all before any paperwork was seen.

The check was a bank cashier's check. The second one. First check was made a week ago for the originally agreed on price. Came home from the bank with cashier's check in hand to immediately read here at TMC the news of the $3,750 rebate. Had to get a new cashier's check created at the bank a day before the delivery. That alone took almost an hour.

OK, the thing is, that Tesla, and the Tesla app, are not designed to work at all with paying by cashier's check, despite the official Tesla pages mentioning that it was just fine to pay that way. Our SA, or I should say, all three of our SA's, were told that a bank check would be with us at pickup. They all told us they'd enter that fact in our "file" and they were just fine and dandy with that payment method. Over the course of about a week, we would get several real phone calls and a whole mess of personally typed and robo texts asking us to pay up days in advance, or else they would delay the car, or worse. In fact we got inudated by all those messages and it became ridiculously rude of Tesla to do all that. We'd call them again, and we got more texts and calls saying we haven't paid by ACH or a loan as yet. Sheesh! The app in the Payment section simply does not allow a choice of anything but ACH transfer or a Loan. One hand does not know what the other hand is doing there (Tesla the company, or the location I was doing business with, or both). A normal car stealership could have easily handled this much better in that regard. And in the past, they all did. Tesla, notsomuch.

Days earlier (B4 delivery day) we had asked for my wife's name to appear on the registration. They told us that it could be easily done day-of with her driver's license. So, not taking any chances on the day-of promise, we set up the registration request to be in both our names (and hence, the Title) three days earlier with the office person in charge of those. Talked on a real phone call with the person in charge of registrations. Emailed and texted her also. Sent her 2 pics of my wife's license. Apparently, that office person totally dropped the ball and did nothing with that request and promise to get it done, but we didn't know that yet. We noticed (my wife noticed) that the registration that came out was in my name only when doing the final paperwork. Then they told us that, oh sorry, it could not be changed. But I was still holding the cashier's check. Apparently, a registration can be made day-of because they made a replacement. Then, unbelievably, even with my wife's license physically there in the office with them, while making the revised registration, they messed up by misspelling her name, and had to make up a revised revised registration! Did I mention that the total delivery time spent was about three hours? Must have set a new delivery time record for them.

In the end, and being as tired as we all were, those mistakes seemed somewhat comical near the end. The car was real good, and I drove home carefully, and happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Investor9872
I find it disturbing that Tesla still can't deliver a car of equal quality of ANY Japanese or Korean made car.
And almost all of those cost thousands less.
It's not like this is a new model and they are suffering teething pains.
If this is all Tesla has I’ll take it. Watch this video. Start at the 12 min mark when he drives a new Hummer. Water is pouring from the sunroof into the vehicle. It happens several time. GM has been building cars how long? Lol.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
The charger immediate area is literally the most perfect I've ever seen in any model Y or 3. I work at an upscale grocery store, so I get to see the worst and the best made Teslas every day. My fitment build issues are pretty tame in comparison. Yes, it is the tail light portion on the hatch. It might be that the hatch itself is partly to blame too. I made the service request yesterday morning for thew two issues plus for them to add/install the promised rear door PPF and the front mud flaps. Waiting to see what the "estimate" will be. Appointment early next week. We'll see what gets done. I'm not expecing much, frankly. But it will give me an early idea how a Tesla service department works.
When I drop my car or wifeys car for service (3 times this year :() I always walk around and check other cars in the lot, and I have seen werid alignment couple of times on the light where the charger is. both on new cars for delivery and used cars in the service queue.

Mine was the tailgate light but Tesla refused to fix it because "within spec" so I fixed it myself.

Last edited:

Picked up today at Naperville/Lisle, IL. MYLR5, no Tow, No FSD, 19" Gemini, Wt./Blk Y.

Got the $3,750 credit applied. Had a larger Bank check printed last week before the credit news and had to have it re-made at the bank for the lesser amount. One somewhat comical hour there as the bank personnel had never swapped out a cashier's check before and had to call another bank to ask how it could be done. :rolleyes:

This morning a very long automated text came explaining the delivery would be totally touchless, with documents in car, instructions to pair everything ourselves and the location of the black metal box on the building to drop the signed paperwork in as we would drive away. That text must have been a holdover from 2020/2021 because none of that happened or was necessary. Nothing was "touchless." Good old-fashioned real people explaning how everything worked; 100% personal service -- the way it should be! :) But this took a while. Good thing they weren't super busy today. The registration had to be corrected twice for various reasons. With all the paperwork signed, check passed over the counter, pairing of phones and cards completed, it was time to get comfortable with basic commands and screen functions and to take it home.

Ordered April 19th.
Freemont car, 2023. 607xxx, indicating ~Nov. 20th build date. Same VIN as expected.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS
Not matrix headlights. Regular headlights at night not as bright as expected. The "fog lights," however, are the best I've had in any of my 10+ cars.
The included n/c floor carpets were way better than I had planned on! Quite surprised, really. WeatherTech Floor Liners will arrive when they introduce 2023 product. I can wait.

Had 17 miles on the odo (did someone test drive it?) The car was on the lot for about a week.
Comfort suspension? - don't know. The ride is still rather rough. Tires at 40-42psi.

I didn't notice any vision update for close objects at slow speeds (yet). Also today, the mobile connector bundle arrived, literally 5 minutes after the car did. What timing! Both 5-15 and 14-50 plugs were in the bag. This needs to be tested. The old L2 works OK at 245v 28A, yet slowly when the car is already at 83%. Trial SuperCharging is planned soon.

Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Other than those, it was super clean. Now to figure out how to send a service request on those items? Drinking a victory beer right now! 🍻
congratulations

what does this mean --- "Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.".... are they supposed to be there and we can ask them to put them on for FREE?

congratulations

what does this mean --- "Car came without front mudflaps or rear door PPF. I will request these to be completed.".... are they supposed to be there and we can ask them to put them on for FREE?
They are available on certain states. I’m not sure which states though but here in Illinois it is free. I’m getting mine installed as I type this response.

Update: It appears that mine was delivered with Matrix headlights afterall? :eek: It took me some digging to compare the visible differences between conventional and matrix. Circular spotlight looking lens on the very outer edge in a black plastic square, and the rest of it very wavy curvy reflectors towards the center of the car. Does that sound correct? I wonder if the "Holiday Light Show" still exists in the firmware to spell T E S L A. That would confirm it.

Update: It appears that mine was delivered with Matrix headlights afterall? :eek: It took me some digging to compare the visible differences between conventional and matrix. Circular spotlight looking lens on the very outer edge in a black plastic square, and the rest of it very wavy curvy reflectors towards the center of the car. Does that sound correct? I wonder if the "Holiday Light Show" still exists in the firmware to spell T E S L A. That would confirm it.
The Holiday Light Show in both mine and my wife's Model 3s do the TESLA thing. Give it a shot!

Reactions: Senpai
Yes, you do have the matrix headlamps if you have the round projectors on the outer edge of the headlamp. What the heck is the holiday light show? I just found out about the rainbow road when you pull on the shifter 4 times after putting the car in autopilot. 😁

Ordered April 19th.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

Just received my MYLR last week. Is is supposed to have the front mud flaps and rear wheel PPF? Also had 15 miles on the odometer. One small scratch on the plastic rear bottom and driver seat stitching not perfect. Only thing that’s really made me unhappy is the lack of parking sensors.

Attachments

• 8770A969-852A-4971-B714-AE94158AA6CE.jpeg
    8770A969-852A-4971-B714-AE94158AA6CE.jpeg
    266.8 KB · Views: 95
Yeps, lucky you. Should be a ball on the outer corner of the headlights. Regular lights won't have them.

Ordered April 19th.
Back deck cover
New inner door panels
Pedals dark rubber
No USS

i-9h3Dnm7-X2.jpg

i-HbVq86x-X2.jpg

rear light is an issue to get fixxed. it Might even suggest whole liftgate is a bit misaligned. I had same issue but my lift-gate needed realignment due to vastly incorrect gaps on side of liftgate, one side had barely any space from car body. Search my postings for the thread. Anyhow after liftgate was aligned, taillight matched perfectly. Not sure if body shop readjusted light in addition to liftgate realignment.

Door looks normal however, check along The entire separation between those adjacent panels to ensure they match up. people are mistakenly obsessed with that area. Mine matched up well but the alignment was still off tween adjacent panels. Tesla sent car to body shop & came back perfect. 3 doors and my trunk liftgate needed adjusting.

check those areas on all doors.