TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Delivery estimate for new reservations is fall 2018 or later

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tsla007, Dec 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tsla007

tsla007 Member

yup. They are still selling well.

• Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Website says:
    Nothing new here.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

No, although closer to 'mid-2017' we might watch that expected wait. Somehow I really doubt there will end out being substantial cancellations. 'course I am a fan :p and shareholder.

4. MissAutobahn

MissAutobahn Elon, please ramp up Fremont in ludicrous mode!

The amount of new reservations after reveal3 will be a lot bigger than those who cancel, I guess :)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I agree, I think reveal 3 will increase reservation numbers. I hope it's awesome.

6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I confused over a few things though.

I know that Elon spoke of an "Alien Dreadnought" ( Machines that build Machines that build cars ) will be used to build the M3.

My first question is : How is the dreadnought project going? The dreadnought seems to be a totally different project than building cars. I've not seen any news on this project.

My second question is: In what way is the Freemont expansion going to contribute to the M3's production? There is no way they are even going to get all of the buildings built before production starts. Is this expansion necessary to get M3's out of the door? I've not seen official statements on this either.

Are they going to build M3's with a hammer and chisel before the Freemont expansion or the dreadnought gets completed?

Of course we have tons of speculation all over the place concerning these 2 topics, however I haven't seen anything from Tesla about this stuff.

7. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

I think the dreadnought project is primarily the Gigafactory. I also think that is going to be built up in stages before it takes full "alien" form. I recently read that Tesla is starting to think about chassis assembly in the Gigafactory instead of at the Tesla factory.

I don't think the Freemont expansion is in any way related to the Model 3. That factory was making something like 500,000 cars per year when Toyota was running it, so it should be able to make about that same amount now. I assume the expansion will be related to future models like the Model Y, pickup truck, semi truck, etc.

• Like x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#8 JeffK, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Alien Dreadnought did refer the the gigafactory and fremont, yes. (all future Tesla factories). It was also not the chassis, but drive unit assembly. The huge panel press and multimillion dollar paint booth are all in Fremont and they will stay there for the foreseeable future.

The goal is end to end automation from cell creation to battery pack assembly. Eventually an automated method for recycling old packs too.

Any further automation to motor assembly will drive down costs as well.

• Informative x 1
  9. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

The "alien dreadnought" quote is from a conference call back in August and he was referring to the ultimate look of the Freemont factory (and possibly future ones) once all the expansions are done. The timeline, IIRC, was about 5 years. So, yes, the factory expansion is related to, and necessary for, the "alien dreadnought", but it isn't required for the initial model 3 production.

Like FloridaJohn said, it will be to get the Freemont factory over the 500,000 units per year and also to, ultimately, fully automate it so that no humans are required.

• Like x 1
  10. grommet

grommet Member

Gentle reminder: the city is called "Fremont"... not "freemont"

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. ummgood

ummgood Member

Depends on the pricing...

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

There will be no surprises on the pricing front IMO

13. ummgood

ummgood Member

I sure hope so...

14. ccutrer

ccutrer Active Member

I agree. I would not be surprised if a fully optioned PxxDL ends up being $70k. I would also not be surprised if it ends up being $110k. I would be surprised if it was $50k or $150k.

• Like x 3
  15. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

As I've stated in other posts, I have a self-imposed budget limit of around $50k. There's a certain amount of wiggle room in there, but anything close to approaching six figures, I'll have to bail out.

16. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

sounds like free-mont.

17. yesup

yesup Member

That's the optimistic way of looking at it.
    On the other hand, without knowing the real reservations count, it could mean that the project is getting further and further delayed...... :eek:

18. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

The alien dreadnought is coming in stages. The initial Model 3 will be built by version 0.5, which many interpret as similar to the S/X lines but tweaked to be more efficient. This may be by automating much of the interior work. Later versions will be fully automated and faster.

19. V60_PHEV

V60_PHEV Member

The website states: Delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later
    Could you turn this around and say: all current reservations will be delivered before mid 2018?
    Probably not, but I would be totally happy with delivery mid 2018 here in the Netherlands

20. ricardocabesa

ricardocabesa STD free

I just ordered on 12/16 and I'm fine with late 2018 or 2019 delivery.Only downside is reduced rebate.