Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery gone bad - M3 has some issues : ( Need advice for what to do.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have been anxiously awaiting our first Tesla - a white model 3 with black interior. My husband and two kids were even waiting outside as it pulled up to our home (we live 20 miles from Fremont so they delivered). I have read to make sure to check everything before accepting delivery. My husband gets in the front seat and the delivery guy is in the passenger seat. I get in the back seat. I immediately notice a 1/2 inch scratch and a chip on the backseat air vents (right below). And behind the passenger's seat there is some weird discoloration. I'm super bummed but still hoping we can just deal with that later with the dealer. I scan the outside of the car and notice some paint issues - nothing huge but something that could be 'huge later on'. On the interior of the door it seems some of the paint had bubbled and popped. The dealbreaker for me was on the trunk to the right of the license plate was a piece of dark 'dust or metal' that is lodged in the paint.

I asked the guy delivering if this is all normal and that I've heard of these types of issues with the paint. He said he's heard of them and had had 4 prior deliveries but had not seen one in this 'condition'. Also, in the console was a random plastic piece with some metal on the inside - he had no idea what it was. I finally figured out where it went and snapped it into place. (it's a plastic piece that goes under the console in the backseat).

I'm really bummed and disappointed. We were ready to take it and just deal as from afar it is stunning. But up close there are SO many little issues (even more than I mentioned) which are really just not acceptable for a 'new' car that has 25 miles on it.

The delivery guy called the manager and said they would be back tomorrow with this one (with the issues fixed) or bring the same one.

Anyone have any advice or insight? Deal with something similar?

Thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    425 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 94
So, the window seal is no big deal. That sorts it self out quickly. The plastic piece that popped off (4th photo) - also clips right in, not a big deal.

The scratch on the rear trim, yeah, that they can stand to fix. That said - one of the very first things I did to my Model 3 was put a vinyl wrap on the console, and the kit I bought from Arctic Ocean happens to include a piece of vinyl cut for that exact spot.... so if you're planning to wrap the console, that's a scratch that you'll never see.

Now, the paint ... that could stand to be corrected, but again, I think it's fairly minor in the grand scheme. First time a rock chip kicks up off the road, you'll have a bigger ding than that.

So on the whole, it's really not a bad car per se - the delivery person should've clipped that panel in, but seriously - not a big deal. The scratch is irritating but if you're going to vinyl wrap the console (which I recommend - that piano black is a fingerprint magnet!), that's a self-rectifying problem...

It’s frustrating.. but everything is correctable. Remember most cars have issues when they arrive at the dealer, Tesla just deals with it a little differently and even that can be different from one delivery location to another. This doesn’t change the value of the car or make it any less perfect it’s normal if you work in the industry. Most dealers fix the issues before you ever see them since they have lots of inventory. Tesla does the same at some delivery locations and they fix everything before you ever see the car and others are just as happy to see what you can live with which causes this situation. Just ask to have everything fixed, document and take pictures. They should make it right. Although it’s too late now, the best advice I was give was to enter into the delivery room ready to refuse the car and don’t get caught up in the moment. Read the reviews of the delivery location as well, they usually have a trend when it comes to service. Sure it can be frustrating, but if they were really doing there job, you would have had a delayed delivery while they fixed it and you would never known why. Maybe someday they will get a little more consistent with the delivery process. Either way, you will end up with an amazing car even if the process was less than ideal.

So, the window seal is no big deal. That sorts it self out quickly. The plastic piece that popped off (4th photo) - also clips right in, not a big deal.

The scratch on the rear trim, yeah, that they can stand to fix. That said - one of the very first things I did to my Model 3 was put a vinyl wrap on the console, and the kit I bought from Arctic Ocean happens to include a piece of vinyl cut for that exact spot.... so if you're planning to wrap the console, that's a scratch that you'll never see.

Now, the paint ... that could stand to be corrected, but again, I think it's fairly minor in the grand scheme. First time a rock chip kicks up off the road, you'll have a bigger ding than that.

So on the whole, it's really not a bad car per se - the delivery person should've clipped that panel in, but seriously - not a big deal. The scratch is irritating but if you're going to vinyl wrap the console (which I recommend - that piano black is a fingerprint magnet!), that's a self-rectifying problem...

____
Thank you so for your reply and advice. I did end up clipping that piece back in - I was just a little concerned as it had a few 'metal important looking' edges on it so took me by surprise that it was just randomly chilling in the console as I thought it might 'connect' with something else in the car (technologically speaking). haha
The delivery dude had no idea where it went - he even said this wasn't his normal job (we worked i the building somewhere) but he was working overtime. They're swamped right now because of the end of the quarter he said (and they have the free 2k supercharging for a year if you get delivery by 10/1). I was even at the Tesla shop in Fremont today getting accessories and there were over 200 people inside. It was crazy.

I have my own vinyl wrap in hand but for a 'new' car it's not cool with me to have these defects. If I'm buying a used Ford Fusion - well, ok. haha

____
Thank you so for your reply and advice. I did end up clipping that piece back in - I was just a little concerned as it had a few 'metal important looking' edges on it so took me by surprise that it was just randomly chilling in the console as I thought it might 'connect' with something else in the car (technologically speaking). haha
The delivery dude had no idea where it went - he even said this wasn't his normal job (we worked i the building somewhere) but he was working overtime. They're swamped right now because of the end of the quarter he said (and they have the free 2k supercharging for a year if you get delivery by 10/1). I was even at the Tesla shop in Fremont today getting accessories and there were over 200 people inside. It was crazy.

I have my own vinyl wrap in hand but for a 'new' car it's not cool with me to have these defects. If I'm buying a used Ford Fusion - well, ok. haha

Nope, those metal clips are just that - clips. They just hold the thing on. It won't give you any more trouble.

As for the scratch, totally understand - but that's just a piece of plastic that they can fix post-repair. Really not a big deal, and certainly not something I'd reject the car over... Just get a "due bill" from them to say "yeah we'll fix that" and then you can schedule a followup. That, they should be able to send a mobile technician out to fix. No biggie!

Glad to hear it was so busy - that speaks volumes for the sales this quarter.... fingers crossed it's a good one!

ENJOY the car! These minor niggles will be completely forgotten shortly, and all you'll have is an amazing car left. :)

Reactions: richyrich
I would not accept the car. Yes, they can fix everything after the fact but personally I have no interest in chasing Tesla after I’ve given them my money to fix things that should have been fixed before they delivered the car to me in the first place.

I don’t know what the inventory in the Bay Area is like but in Southern California they have over 100 Model 3’s in inventory. If the inventory levels up north are similar they should be able to assign you a new VIN immediately. If they want to fix everything on this one prior to you accepting it that could be fine. But if you have to make an appointment with Tesla after you pay them I would pass. You never know how that is going to go. They could damage one thing while fixing another thing and you’ll just be chasing them for months wasting your time.

I don’t like home delivery. I’d rather show up at the showroom and inspect the car. If it’s not in good condition it’s easy to just say pass. It’s harder to do when it’s in your driveway although it certainly can be done, as you demonstrated today.

Nope, those metal clips are just that - clips. They just hold the thing on. It won't give you any more trouble.

As for the scratch, totally understand - but that's just a piece of plastic that they can fix post-repair. Really not a big deal, and certainly not something I'd reject the car over... Just get a "due bill" from them to say "yeah we'll fix that" and then you can schedule a followup. That, they should be able to send a mobile technician out to fix. No biggie!

Glad to hear it was so busy - that speaks volumes for the sales this quarter.... fingers crossed it's a good one!

ENJOY the car! These minor niggles will be completely forgotten shortly, and all you'll have is an amazing car left. :)

Thanks for you feedback dmurphy. And I'm sure it will be an amazing

My reply posted before I finished - I'm sure it will be an amazing quarter based on the hoards of people and also our Dublin, Ca Tesla had about 100 cars that were not there last week - had recently been delivered to the showroom.

I would not accept the car. Yes, they can fix everything after the fact but personally I have no interest in chasing Tesla after I’ve given them my money to fix things that should have been fixed before they delivered the car to me in the first place.

I don’t know what the inventory in the Bay Area is like but in Southern California they have over 100 Model 3’s in inventory. If the inventory levels up north are similar they should be able to assign you a new VIN immediately. If they want to fix everything on this one prior to you accepting it that could be fine. But if you have to make an appointment with Tesla after you pay them I would pass. You never know how that is going to go. They could damage one thing while fixing another thing and you’ll just be chasing them for months wasting your time.

I don’t like home delivery. I’d rather show up at the showroom and inspect the car. If it’s not in good condition it’s easy to just say pass. It’s harder to do when it’s in your driveway although it certainly can be done, as you demonstrated today.
_____
Thanks OCR- yeah, I would much rather inspect the car at the showroom. It was such a letdown especially as all of my neighbors who are my friends and who were 'in awe' were circling. I felt more pressure at home as I wanted 'my baby to stay' and not just have to send her back to the orphanage. hah

I’ve heard mixed reviews about how timely and capable Tesla is about fixing these kinds of issues. I personally have had no need to use their service department yet, but these are issues that are easy to spot and should have been picked up by the jr qc... If you keep the car, get everything in writing, but I think you would also be reasonable to reject a car in this condition...

We have been anxiously awaiting our first Tesla - a white model 3 with black interior. My husband and two kids were even waiting outside as it pulled up to our home (we live 20 miles from Fremont so they delivered). I have read to make sure to check everything before accepting delivery. My husband gets in the front seat and the delivery guy is in the passenger seat. I get in the back seat. I immediately notice a 1/2 inch scratch and a chip on the backseat air vents (right below). And behind the passenger's seat there is some weird discoloration. I'm super bummed but still hoping we can just deal with that later with the dealer. I scan the outside of the car and notice some paint issues - nothing huge but something that could be 'huge later on'. On the interior of the door it seems some of the paint had bubbled and popped. The dealbreaker for me was on the trunk to the right of the license plate was a piece of dark 'dust or metal' that is lodged in the paint.

I asked the guy delivering if this is all normal and that I've heard of these types of issues with the paint. He said he's heard of them and had had 4 prior deliveries but had not seen one in this 'condition'. Also, in the console was a random plastic piece with some metal on the inside - he had no idea what it was. I finally figured out where it went and snapped it into place. (it's a plastic piece that goes under the console in the backseat).

I'm really bummed and disappointed. We were ready to take it and just deal as from afar it is stunning. But up close there are SO many little issues (even more than I mentioned) which are really just not acceptable for a 'new' car that has 25 miles on it.

The delivery guy called the manager and said they would be back tomorrow with this one (with the issues fixed) or bring the same one.

Anyone have any advice or insight? Deal with something similar?

Thank you...
You still have few days remaining to potentially return the car. I suggest to randomly check the car and drive it as much as you can (less than 1000 miles). You don't want to try and find everything in one shot, often times small things pop out at you when you are not looking as hard.
Again use the next few days to see if there's anything else in there, if there are, then you have to think hard about returing it.

Of not you can’t just return the car and get the same type trim now. You’d have to change the trim level or wait a year, is what I remember reading on these forums.

Thank you so much!
You still have few days remaining to potentially return the car. I suggest to randomly check the car and drive it as much as you can (less than 1000 miles). You don't want to try and find everything in one shot, often times small things pop out at you when you are not looking as hard.
Again use the next few days to see if there's anything else in there, if there are, then you have to think hard about returing it.

----
Thank you - I will for sure do this. I think they're bringing the same one back as the vin number has not changed on my delivery vehicle number. Fingers crossed they took care of the issues and I won't be able to tell. I'm mainly concerned about the paint.

I wouldn't accept that car. Decline it and request a vin rematch with the same configs. I declined my first delivery attempt due to paint and dent issues alone. Second delivery only had door alignment issues that were fixed later at the SC.

I’m not clear on whether the OP signed the paperwork accepting the car or not. It sounds like from the original post that they did not sign paperwork, in which case they can simply reject the car and request a different one. If they signed paperwork accepting the car then they would need to initiate a return process, which adds the complications of taking 60 days to issue a refund and being denied the ability to reorder the same trim level for 12 months.

Reactions: qdeathstar
I wish I had rejected my M3 delivered on Saturday. I have been sufficiently warned on this forum about fit and finish issues and how I can reject delivery, but yet we took delivery of the car anyways (it was also home delivered.)

The issues were: trim alignment (very obvious), a tiny bump (very hard to see) in the paint, and some crease on the fabric in the headliner (also very hard to see), and the door handles are not super flushed with the door (not visible from afar, but you can feel it)... Other than the door trim alignment, we didn't see any obvious defects like in OP's post.

The delivery guy was very nice & patient. He didn't try to wave off the issues as normal. He explained that all these issues can be fixed by the mobile tech, or at the service center. He uploaded the pictures of the trim alignment and the paint issue. He told me to send in through the phone app any other issues found within 3 days.

We have busy schedules like any other parents, and we really need the car as the old car is acting up, so we decided to take it and then deal with the cosmetic issues. We drove it around afterwards to check for any other drivetrain or wind noise / door seal issues, but so far driving experience was just amazing.

In hindsight, though, I am now wondering if it's just easier to refuse delivery and let them deal with the issues, rather than *me* dealing with the service. It's all too late now!