Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery issue? Protrusion / bump behind rear bumper cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: I removed the access panel located at the bottom of the bumper to inspect the area with the protrusion. Unfortunately, I cannot get a good enough angle to view/see what is pushing up against the bumper. I'll probably set up an appointment with Tesla Mobile Service. Hopefully, we can avoid damaging/peeling the PPF at the corners of the bumper, if I supervise/assist the technician to carefully remove the bumper panel.

Which kinda sucks, they are basically penalizing you for a build quality issue under the guise of "well, you saved $1900 on your deposit"!
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. They're penalizing the buyer for a manufacturer defect issue. Sux when you have it set up just the way you like and then get a slap in the face. Tesla needs to address this and tweek it so we're not punished for a build condition.
Right Elon?!? o_O

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. They're penalizing the buyer for a manufacturer defect issue. Sux when you have it set up just the way you like and then get a slap in the face. Tesla needs to address this and tweek it so we're not punished for a build condition.
Right Elon?!? o_O
It's really the same thing as having a used car shipped, although my understanding is that $2k can't be applied towards anything else if you refuse delivery. The problem with the new car penalty is that Tesla only makes a few versions of each model, and most people buying one know EXACTLY what options they want so by them forcing you to either buy something entirely different or wait a year is unreasonable esp. if it is a manuf. defect issue.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
It's really the same thing as having a used car shipped, although my understanding is that $2k can't be applied towards anything else if you refuse delivery. The problem with the new car penalty is that Tesla only makes a few versions of each model, and most people buying one know EXACTLY what options they want so by them forcing you to either buy something entirely different or wait a year is unreasonable esp. if it is a manuf. defect issue.

You do realize that there is a difference between refusing delivery of a car because of defects, and returning the car after seven days for a refund?

Update for anyone with this issue. The local Tesla service center examined my vehicle today. They said the slight protrusion/bulge is due to a wiring harness that was not properly installed/secured during assembly. The service tech was able to access & move the wiring harness WITHOUT removing the rear bumper... which was a big plus since my entire vehicle (including the rear bumper) was wrapped with Expel PPF. Not having to remove the bumper means zero risk of damaging/peeling the PPF.

The slight bulge is still there, but the thought/hope is the bulge can now “relax” and eventually flatten out since there is no longer anything directly behind it pushing the bumper panel outward.

Tesla said they will replace the entire bumper if the slight bulge does not eventually go away. Once I got home, I decided to speed up the process by using a hair dryer to gently heat/soften the panel. This helped the plastic to relax which almost completely eliminated the bulge. I’m a happy camper!

Update for anyone with this issue. The local Tesla service center examined my vehicle today. They said the slight protrusion/bulge is due to a wiring harness that was not properly installed/secured during assembly. The service tech was able to access & move the wiring harness WITHOUT removing the rear bumper... which was a big plus since my entire vehicle (including the rear bumper) was wrapped with Expel PPF. Not having to remove the bumper means zero risk of damaging/peeling the PPF.

The slight bulge is still there, but the thought/hope is the bulge can now “relax” and eventually flatten out since there is no longer anything directly behind it pushing the bumper panel outward.

Tesla said they will replace the entire bumper if the slight bulge does not eventually go away. Once I got home, I decided to speed up the process by using a hair dryer to gently heat/soften the panel. This helped the plastic to relax which almost completely eliminated the bulge. I’m a happy camper!
Ahh. The old hair dryer on the bumper trick... Gets them every time! :p
Apologies and God bless Don Adams, Agent 86. :cool:

Reactions: GreenHokie
Anyone know what this could be? I took delivery on Saturday and saw that there was a bulge seemingly coming through the rear bumper.

If you push against the bumper cover, there’s some give and flex, except over this bump, where it’s rock solid. I asked the delivery advisor to add it to a due bill, but they wouldn’t provide me with anything in writing.

It’s more noticeable in person than in pictures. Reflections are distorted and uneven where the bump is. There are a few other minor defects too but I’m not OCD about them.

Have folks been generally satisfied with auto body work done by Tesla after delivery? I called service center and they say body repairs are handled by a third party. I’m concerned that Midnight Silver is hard to match.

Thanks!
Hi just seen your post but I had same issue for 6 months from new. If you remove the panel under the rear fender and look inside you will see a cable and socket for a tow bar wedged between the plastic outer fender and metal inner fender. Give it a gentle shake and tug and free it up by pulling down. Hay Presto, no lump!
SteveH