Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Issues Ruining My Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love cars. I love this car. I'm the kind of guy to hand wash my cars with new microfibers, and maybe not drive when it's raining. This car performs. It's a rocket sled. It cost me a whole crapload of money, almost twice as much as any other car I have ever owned. It's my first new car, and I've been dreaming about it for two years. I traded in a perfect condition car that had years left on it to own this car. I love being an early adopter, and have shrugged off the logistical quagmires I've gone through the last two months trying to purchase it.

I just keep finding things. I've only had it a couple of days but everywhere I look there's something. I read some reviews on here saying "it's perfect" and "just a couple of minor issues" and I'm wondering if I should have requested a different car. It's crazy how your mind can blank everything out when you're picking it up. Your eyes clue you in to things but your mind doesn't register them, because you're in this haze of lust for this thing. Well the salad days are over and now I'm wondering what I should do about these issues. Are they bad? Am I overreacting? I don't know. What I do know is it will take invasive surgery to fix most of them, which I don't know I'm ready for.

-I mean, front and center on the hood were two paint blobs, three clearcoat burns and countless "nibs"
-the driver's fender has a small scratch through the clearcoat
-headlights sticking out
-trunk edge has small scuff through clearcoat on the outside edge near window
-one door handle is recessed more than the other three
-driver taillight not aligned with trunk
-passenger front window sticks out past b pillar
-passenger rear door sticks out past quarter panel
-rear bumper has gap between it and weatherstripping, also looks like a piece of the flange that fits under the weatherstripping is broken off
-there's water POOLING at the bottom of the lower trunk compartment, soaked through the felt

This is just what I've found without trying too hard. I've scheduled PPF for the front and tried to convince myself to ignore the issues, but now I'm not so sure. Why would I spend a ton of money to protect a scratch through the clearcoat? I know stuff happens but I'd feel better about these things if I wasn't rushed off the lot, so fast they forgot to put my plate on. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal about this than necessary, but I really wasn't looking for a resprayed car if they even decide to fix it. I'm dreading going to the service center to report this stuff because I was told "most of the issues aren't real issues" by one of the employees (regarding all issues reported, not mine). Take a look at the pics and just let me know if this is pretty much what others have been receiving, or if I should be more worried. I just noticed the pooling water right now, one more thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    260.4 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2157.JPG
    IMG_2157.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3107.JPG
    IMG_3107.JPG
    178.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5471.JPG
    IMG_5471.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5767.JPG
    IMG_5767.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6082.JPG
    IMG_6082.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_7393.JPG
    IMG_7393.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I would call the service dept and bring it into them to show the issues you are concerned about. Not speaking from experience because my car was never delivered. But I know someone else with scratches and clear coat burns. He went back a few days after pick up and discussed his issues. They promptly approved the paint work, albeit requiring complete painting of several panels and an expensive patient correction. Some of the other stuff I think could be adjusted in their service department.

I would call the service dept and bring it into them to show the issues you are concerned about. Not speaking from experience because my car was never delivered. But I know someone else with scratches and clear coat burns. He went back a few days after pick up and discussed his issues. They promptly approved the paint work, albeit requiring complete painting of several panels and an expensive patient correction. Some of the other stuff I think could be adjusted in their service department.

That's what I'm afraid of. I really don't like the idea of a brand new car with respray, but I guess it's not the end of the world.

@Shizzrock I'd definitely make a list and schedule a service appointment. Perhaps you can email the list so no items are overlooked. I wouldn't wait. Delay the PPF.

Some of the alignment and window issues are easy fixes. See what is suggested regarding the paint problems, then decide if you're comfortable with the solution.

My service department has been helpful. I hope that you have a successful resolution of your issues.

@Shizzrock I'd definitely make a list and schedule a service appointment. Perhaps you can email the list so no items are overlooked. I wouldn't wait. Delay the PPF.

Some of the alignment and window issues are easy fixes. See what is suggested regarding the paint problems, then decide if you're comfortable with the solution.

My service department has been helpful. I hope that you have a successful resolution of your issues.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will have to reschedule that PPF. I brought up the list of "concerns" and the service rep tried his best to list them so they can be addressed all at once in a couple of weeks. He pushed back on the headlights, so that may be a lost cause. Which is weird because of what others posted about a service bulletin regarding them. He was confident most of the paint issues could be resolved with a detail. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that. I'm sure he's also preparing for the onslaught of model 3 owners in the coming weeks. They delivered a lot of cars last month.

Paint issues are the worst, on my last car the taillight was touching the body panel when I bought it and I didn't notice until later, someone suggested shimming the bolts that attach it with a washer. Easy fix and never had a problem with it after that. Not sure if that will work on a tesla headlight though.

Paint issues suck because yea, might require respray. If your ok with that just have them do it, otherwise your still within your time frame to return it right?

Paint issues are the worst, on my last car the taillight was touching the body panel when I bought it and I didn't notice until later, someone suggested shimming the bolts that attach it with a washer. Easy fix and never had a problem with it after that. Not sure if that will work on a tesla headlight though.

Paint issues suck because yea, might require respray. If your ok with that just have them do it, otherwise your still within your time frame to return it right?

I think the return window is over, but then again who knows because my account removed my car from it and said I owed final payment like my car wasn’t delivered. I think the paint issues are manageable. I just hope they can fix the OCD type stuff, and then I’ll be able to enjoy this sweet ride even more.

@Shizzrock I just noticed you are in Boston. Where I’m located too. I know @TORQU3 is having paint work done on his new model 3 at a local certified Tesla paint shop recommended by his detailer (just outside of Boston). Maybe send him a message and ask for details. He’s the one I mentioned earlier who brought his car back to Dedham to show his paint issues.

@Shizzrock I just noticed you are in Boston. Where I’m located too. I know @TORQU3 is having paint work done on his new model 3 at a local certified Tesla paint shop recommended by his detailer (just outside of Boston). Maybe send him a message and ask for details. He’s the one I mentioned earlier who brought his car back to Dedham to show his paint issues.

We basically have twin cars I think. I'm gonna give it a good wash tomorrow and I think a detail will get most of the stuff out, and I'd rather live with a couple of fisheyes than go through the whole body shop process out of sheer attrition. I'd like to see how he makes out; that will be the best way to resolve the paint issues.

I think the return window is over, but then again who knows because my account removed my car from it and said I owed final payment like my car wasn’t delivered. I think the paint issues are manageable. I just hope they can fix the OCD type stuff, and then I’ll be able to enjoy this sweet ride even more.

I don't think I'd want to return the car; the issues aren't as drastic as chips of paint off the car. It's just that this is the most money I've spent on a car, by a longshot, so part of me wants to make sure I am receiving the value I paid for. On the other hand, I have empathy for everyone frantically racing to make these cars so the company can continue its mission, and in their case, perfect was the enemy of good. So as long as they give it a college try to fix some of this stuff that's all I can ask for. And if they fix something in one location, they should fix it everywhere. I just have to add one more thing to the list, why is my rear 1/2" higher than my front?

Eventually, Tesla won’t be able to deliver cars like this anymore. The only reason they get away with it now is because no one wants to wait another two months. Cut that down to 1-2 weeks and I’ll wait every time.
Eventually, they won’t be able to deliver cars like this anymore because people will be able to take their business elsewhere.

First thing is photograph, annotate, and put together a list. Email your sales or delivery person and get the pictures uploaded to something like google drive that has a time stamp so there is no question when the issues were identified. Also look closely at your front bumper paint color vs the hood and fenders, mine looked ok in some conditions, but once I pulled it in my garage with florescent lights it was a mess, the paint was too thin. A bright handheld LED drop light can help identify these issues. I dropped into the service center first thing Monday morning unannounced (Friday PM pickup) and discussed the issues. The service guy (James) was very agreeable that these were big issues. I had an appointment for PPF but I talked to my detailer/PPF guy (Auto Nuvo, they do great work and are top notch to work with). He suggested that I talk to Tesla about having him perform paint correction on the items that do not require repaint. He has done work that billed Tesla directly in the past. For the items that did require paint he highly recommended one of the Tesla certified shops not too far away in Ashland, Hollis Auto Body. He exclusively uses them for any paint work he needs, he says they are the best. I spoke with Tesla again and they requested I get a quote from the body shop for repainting that included the paint correction at Auto Nuvo. I brought it right down to Hollis and they had a quote out to Tesla the next morning and it was approved by the end of the day. My car is currently having the two fenders and front bumper painted and the entire car will have a multi step paint correction done. Hollis is a very impressive body shop from what I could see. I'm super picky about paint and leaving my new, expensive, high performance car anywhere, but I felt very comfortable it was safe there. I'll PM you details.

Long story short, clearly document, go to Tesla in person ASAP and make it happen. Don't wait for a call back. Be reasonable and calm and get your car over to Hollis and maybe even call or email Auto Nuvo so they can take a look and quote on the paint correction as well.

I’d think Tesla’s own pressure to increase immediate revenue contributes more to the situation than Tesla’s desire to please customers who want their cars in 2018.

I have to say, I would've been fine waiting another month. I feel like a victim of the Wall Street thugs who are forcing Elon to put up crazy numbers, which resulted in the Tesla store trying to deliver 200 cars in one day, thereby cutting corners on my car.

Reactions: neroden and TORQU3
I’d think Tesla’s own pressure to increase immediate revenue contributes more to the situation than Tesla’s desire to please customers who want their cars in 2018.

Intuitively one may think that would be the case. However, max units produced and deliveried is not always the best option.

Tesla’s top like growth is assured, it’s the bottom line growth that is always in question.

If Tesla focused on nothing but the highest margin deliveries they wouldn’t incur massive opex in Q3. They wouldn’t need overtime, or all sorts of funky levers to have revenue outpace the massive expenditures.

I have to make decisions in erp analysis whether goods are shipped via ocean freight or air freight.

Have to balance revenue versus profit depending on what is more crucial to the client.

Making quarterlies is annoying and really creates a lot of loss for everyone but that is what Wall Street demands so..