Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery Quality Review:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ironically, I am very familiar with the pressure buffeting reported on the Escalate/Tahoe/Yukon because I found it while researching the same issue with the Model S. It is, in fact, one of the issues I am most concerned about on the Model Y since several folks are popping up reporting the boomy cabin and , in some cases, buffeting!
My friends Raven MS is sublimely quiet

Ironically, I am very familiar with the pressure buffeting reported on the Escalate/Tahoe/Yukon because I found it while researching the same issue with the Model S. It is, in fact, one of the issues I am most concerned about on the Model Y since several folks are popping up reporting the boomy cabin and , in some cases, buffeting!
Responding back to my comment
Happy to report My model Y doesn't have it.
Unfortunately my Escalade still does lol

Interesting interview with Sandy Munro. He says that Tesla shouldn't do a $25,000 car. Hard to make money on it. Low margins. Also says that people who spend less on a car tend to be more demanding and entitled about "quality". Kind of like they can't really afford the car so they are suspicious and get very picky. I think we are seeing this phenomenon with the Model 3 and Y. Some of these people have ridiculous expectations and seem to magnify small flaws into big issues.

I think we are seeing this phenomenon with the Model 3 and Y. Some of these people have ridiculous expectations and seem to magnify small flaws into big issues.

What are the ridiculous expectations? Tesla attracts people who enjoy the cool and latest tech. Fortunately, the quality control for most tech products out there are pretty tight. Now extend that expectation to now a $40-50k product and comparing it to the QC of other car companies, I think they are quite justified to be upset. The poor QC of Tesla cars is a real and legitimate negative.

What are the ridiculous expectations? Tesla attracts people who enjoy the cool and latest tech. Fortunately, the quality control for most tech products out there are pretty tight. Now extend that expectation to now a $40-50k product and comparing it to the QC of other car companies, I think they are quite justified to be upset. The poor QC of Tesla cars is a real and legitimate negative.
No product is perfect. Munro pointed out that people who buy cheaper products tend to be a lot pickier about real or perceived defects. Judging from the whinging from Model 3 owners I have read here confirms his observation.

I am scheduled to take delivery of my Model Y on the 28th. As a result of all the discussions about the problems Tesla is having with quality, I am a bit anxious.

Several of you have mentioned specific areas of concern and mentioned what a buyer should be sure to look out for.

If we could develop a list here on this thread, it would be helpful to me and, I am sure, to other new buyers.

Thanks.
How did your Model Y delivery work out!

Wow...this thread turned nasty quick.

I think what most are trying to say is go in being informed as to what others have experienced but also dont let it stress you out.
I went in with a checklist of 79 items that I wanted to review. Of those 79 only six were deal breakers for me. If anyone of those six were present I would have likely rejected the car. I stressed for days over this (I had four different delivery dates) so my anxiety of spending $60k for a car only to find out on delivery day it was a POS stressed me out daily.

On the day of delivery I was amazed as to how well the paint, fit and finish, and general condition the car was. Zero of my deal breaker six were present. There were only four on my 79 item check list that were present. The four I found were: right rear seat alignment was higher than the center and left seat (almost EVERY Model Y has this problem), the coat hooks didnt extract and retract correctly, and the hatchback didnt latch when it closed and the washer hose wasnt connected to the wipers. The first two are reported but not going to get done until later. The third, they fixed on the spot. The fourth required a mobile service appointment, which has since been fixed.

Since owning for over a week now, I am taking it in next week to address some other issues that some are probably "major" issues and will have the first two (well, really only the coat hooks addressed as the seat alignment still doesnt have a fix) as well as six more issues I have discovered since owning it.

For what it is worth, the other issues are:
Radar is inoperable, most of the time. They think it is a loose cable, misaligned or something. They are replacing the unit.
Several rattles while driving
"Burst of Air" mysterious sound
Color of side cameras (orangish, which may be what all side cameras look like)
Misalignment of Frunk lid (closing a few mm below the nose panel)
Missing two frunk clips for front cowling

None of the issue, except for the radar one, is something I am fretting over. They will fix the radar and everything else in time, and frankly we are ALL early adopters of new tech. Think over every tech innovation released, there have always been bugs and issues. If you want a nearly perfect experience, wait a year. If you want to enjoy the hell out of a kick ass car, jump in now.

Good luck and enjoy the car! Your delivery will be fine, and if it isnt, be prepared to walk away or accept it will take time to fix the issues you discover.
I'd be interested in seeing your list of 79 and the six deal breakers. Hoping you will share.

I looked at several Model Ys at a Tesla Service Center today (exterior only) and they all looked great. Much improved from the ones I saw last month helping a friend with his delivery. We saw no fit/finish issues, except:
- The ever-persistent white bumper not matching
- Trunks were consistently not flush on the left-hand side with the bumper. More flush on the right.

Tail lights were flush, no paint issues/damage, no rocker panel gaps, panel gaps were even throughout, and pieces were aligned. I would’ve been happy with any of those cars (minus the white. Can’t get over those bumpers).

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
I am scheduled to take delivery of my Model Y on the 28th. As a result of all the discussions about the problems Tesla is having with quality, I am a bit anxious.

Several of you have mentioned specific areas of concern and mentioned what a buyer should be sure to look out for.

If we could develop a list here on this thread, it would be helpful to me and, I am sure, to other new buyers.

Thanks.

We pick up ours Wednesday as well. We are driving to Mt Kisco 260 miles and our advisor told us to call there today to have them go through the car and fix anything needed prior to pickup. Since it’s arriving there today

A friend just picked up his white Model Y AWD today in MN. It looked great! About as perfect as it could get. Paint was perfect (though white is REALLY hard to inspect in detail), and all the mechanicals were virtually perfect. Even the taillights and charge port door looked great (compared to early Y’s).
To excessively nitpick, the frunk and trunk / lift gate were both slightly misaligned left/right, but only by about 2 millimeters (really minor); but, you have to look REALLY close to see it; from a few steps away, you can’t tell. Note that both work perfectly and there is no rubbing.
Also, Tesla left a little adhesive residue on the drivers side door trim, but that should clean off easily. This item really should have been preemptively handled by the local delivery team.

Reactions: Kelr316 and raggedy