Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In and out of a car dealership in 90 minutes is way outside the norm.

Facts yo: https://www.cars.com/articles/buying-a-car-takes-more-time-at-the-dealer-1420663300693/

Not making excuses for lack of QC, but one can't argue that dealerships are not outdated and slow.

Tim
90 mins at the dealership for a car that is defect-free versus waiting 2+ months for a car, spending an hour in the parking lot looking for defects, then needing to have those defects fixed with a follow service visit (or more).

Pick your poison:)

With that said, when we bought our last two cars, it took about an hour each at the dealership as most of the BS was taken care of over email before arriving (Subaru Outback, Audi A4).

For those who have had panel gap/other mal-assembly issues, was it a day job for the SC? or something longer? and if longer, did Tesla provide a loaner vehicle?
I think it depends on the SC you're going to. Mine had just opened and didn't have any loaner cars available. They only had one Model 3 and a Model Y for test drives! They did hook me up with $200 in Uber credit, which was nice, but with the world trying to come back to normal, the nearest Uber I could find was over 20 minutes away...

In terms of the time it took - I dropped mine off at 8:30 am and it was done by 5 pm, but they didn't tell me until it was too late for me to even make it to the SC to pick it up, so I had to pick it up the next day.

I had a few gap issues, door handle not level, and had them install my HomeLink garage door controller...

For those who have had panel gap/other mal-assembly issues, was it a day job for the SC? or something longer? and if longer, did Tesla provide a loaner vehicle?
Just got my car back from service. I dropped it off on Wednesday and I got it back on Monday. Frunk alignment, pillar alignment on driver side, and stain removal on the inside.

They couldn't remove the stain so they are going to replace it. Waiting for the part. Going to be a couple of weeks.

But I did get a loaner. The SC I went to works with enterprise so there were cars available for the choosing.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Dropped off our 3 week old M3LR at the SC in Dublin, CA for some issues, listed below. We were really expecting Uber credits and not a loaner for the duration. Upon arrival, Service Advisor had already ordered an Uber ride to the nearest Enterprise Car Rental, surprise! We went over all the issues and hopped in the Uber to head to Enterprise. They already had the reservation, just showed ID and credit card. We were prepared to leave with an ICE car (ugh), but low and behold, they pulled up with a 2018 Model S 75D!!! Yeah, that makes leaving our 2021 in the shop a little less painful. Our Tesla app says estimated completion is 7/27. Overall very good experience so far.
  • Fingerprints on middle headliner, passenger side
  • Door handle too recessed, driver’s side rear door
  • Round dull paint spots, driver’s side top on rear panel and top of rear door
  • Charge port misaligned
  • Steering wheel crinkling noise when moving in and out
  • Middle console not centered, driver's seat very tight to console
Hopefully they can push out the latest firmware too, we are currently on 2021.3.103.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a M3LR yesterday and I reported some issues to the SA. She told me I could have them work on the issues then or schedule for a later time. I opted to schedule for a later date and I’ve done so for the issues I had already told her about. I was wondering, since I found a few more defects under the 100 mile limit, how do I report more via the Tesla app. Seems I can only schedule one service at a time. Can I email or call someone? Who do I call, since I don’t know who my specific SA is?

I just took delivery of a M3LR yesterday and I reported some issues to the SA. She told me I could have them work on the issues then or schedule for a later time. I opted to schedule for a later date and I’ve done so for the issues I had already told her about. I was wondering, since I found a few more defects under the 100 mile limit, how do I report more via the Tesla app. Seems I can only schedule one service at a time. Can I email or call someone? Who do I call, since I don’t know who my specific SA is?

You should be able to modify the existing service appointment in the app. Press View -> Message and make a note of the new items.

Not sure if all SCs work this way, but ours asks that we make any updates / changes to the appointment request 48 hours or more before the appointment so they can prepare properly. I’ve never had an issue with them; always very responsive to me.

So I didn't go through this entire thread, but is it a general rule of thumb that the odds of getting a car with significant enough issues to warrant a service appointment is higher if you take receive a vehicle built towards the end of the quarter versus if you take delivery of a vehicle built near the beginning of a new quarter? Or is it truly a crapshoot no matter the timing?

So I didn't go through this entire thread, but is it a general rule of thumb that the odds of getting a car with significant enough issues to warrant a service appointment is higher if you take receive a vehicle built towards the end of the quarter versus if you take delivery of a vehicle built near the beginning of a new quarter? Or is it truly a crapshoot no matter the timing?

It seems like a crapshoot to me, my car was built June 20 during the big rush and delivered June 26. No issues and no service appointments

Nope. Definitely not a thing.

The factory is building all the cars they possibly can. It's running at full tilt, all year long. Your odds of getting a fantastic vehicle are dang near 100%. Maybe some minor issues, but that's true with ANY manufacturer. The big difference is that other brands use their dealers (and those 5-star 'satisfaction' surveys) as a heavy-handed hammer to fix small things before you see them. With Tesla, it's up to each Delivery Center to do so.

Honestly, if I end up with a small thing that needs to be adjusted but it means I never had to do one of those "If you don't give me 5 stars I get fired" surveys again, I consider it a win.

Dropped off our 3 week old M3LR at the SC in Dublin, CA for some issues, listed below. We were really expecting Uber credits and not a loaner for the duration. Upon arrival, Service Advisor had already ordered an Uber ride to the nearest Enterprise Car Rental, surprise! We went over all the issues and hopped in the Uber to head to Enterprise. They already had the reservation, just showed ID and credit card. We were prepared to leave with an ICE car (ugh), but low and behold, they pulled up with a 2018 Model S 75D!!! Yeah, that makes leaving our 2021 in the shop a little less painful. Our Tesla app says estimated completion is 7/27. Overall very good experience so far.
  • Fingerprints on middle headliner, passenger side
  • Door handle too recessed, driver’s side rear door
  • Round dull paint spots, driver’s side top on rear panel and top of rear door
  • Charge port misaligned
  • Steering wheel crinkling noise when moving in and out
  • Middle console not centered, driver's seat very tight to console
Hopefully they can push out the latest firmware too, we are currently on 2021.3.103.
Do you have pictures of these issues? I have 400 miles on mine and wondering if they will fix it. I also have a fingerprint on the driver's side headliner, same door handle issue, and console centering issue. I am particularly interested in the charge port alignment. I think mine is off, but wanted to see what you have.

I have a 100 miles on my car now...

Day two noticed paint issue which I have to wait weeks for my Tesla appointment ( they have basically no service available in Arizona). Every time I look at the paint I find more issues, such as inclusions of dust, its like they painted these cars outside.

New issues last few days, car wont turn off. Worked fine until the last few days, now I can't get the car to autolock on walk away or turn off. I have tired my phone, I have tried my keycard only. Same issue Tesla will keep the AC and Radio on and wont lock the doors. Even when I use the card to lock the doors it still keeps the radio and AC on, I have to manually turn the AC off, but still can't get the screen to turn off. So its been 2 days of the screen on 24/7 running my battery down. Just glad the front accent lights went off for today... Suggestions?

Steering wheel no centered.

What I can't figure out, does the car save your vent position on the AC? Each time I get into the car I have to change my vent settings and it never seems to save them... I move a seat or a mirror and my driver profile shows up to save... But I am guessing the AC vent location can not be saved?

At this point, I am sad to say I have never been so disappointed with a car and the lack of having a dealer to get help with. If this was Mercedes the dealer would of come to my house and pick the car up and given me a loaner car. I spent more on this Tesla than I did on my last Mercedes....

At this point I am asking Tesla to buy the car back, I guess I have to speak with service tomorrow about getting this process moving along.

Is this normal? The weather stripping on the inside of the driver's door frame seems to be detached? Is it supposed to be like that or should it be flush/attached completely to the frame?
20210802_195338.jpg

Also, this is a very minor thing, but around 46 mph I can notice a very slight high-pitched tone that's emitted from I'm guessing the rear motor. Bouncing back and forth between 46 and 47 mph I can hear it every time. Doesn't really bother me, but I can definitely hear something. Just thought I'd add that.

This should be solid weather stripping all the way through right?
Been following these threads to know what to expect when I am finally picking up mine, but that’s normal for the models with the power trunk. You can see where there would be slight conflict with the power strut in the first photo. The weather stripping is asymmetrical since only the left strut is powered and thus oversized.

Been following these threads to know what to expect when I am finally picking up mine, but that’s normal for the models with the power trunk. You can see where there would be slight conflict with the power strut in the first photo. The weather stripping is asymmetrical since only the left strut is powered and thus oversized.
That makes sense and good to know! I do have an off set brake light and the rear passenger weather stripping is trying to come out to try and get fixed. My service just won't pop up on the app now lol

I'm replying to the Window gap in the rear left by the trunk people talk about. I have this as well and it seems common, but this isn't normal. Friend of mine has 2021 M3 he got a few months ago, his window gap is perfect.

From looking at it much closer, the entire rear glass pieces is slightly shifted at an angle. The gap gets closer/smaller on the left by the roof frame/line, and I assume that means the front glass roof is also misaligned, because it is fairly straight the gap between the rear window and sun roof glass.

Seems like the only true fix is the ability to actually suction cup/lift both pieces of glass off, and put new sealing for both and replace/set the pieces back into place aligned.

This is clearly a QC/alignment and poor tolerance issue with the factory. As I mentioned, and another person noted looking at a bunch, not all have this, and my friends has perfect alignment on his.

I have a service appt to have them look at this, the center console/driver's side rubbing...and also a similar gap another person mentioned at the front bumper by the right headlight/frunk where it meets, slightly raised and gap is larger compared to other cars, left side of it...friends car again for comparison.

Will report back, I have an appt and see what they say/do about any of this. Grey car is my friends M3 right next to me at the charger at work as gap reference.

Replying to my own issues as a follow up so others will know how Tesla responded to my issues. As usual, most are "in spec." Yeah right. If you say so.

Took me 6 weeks to get an appointment, they kept canceling it. Then they had to order a part which took a week or so. Speaker grill had dings in it when I picked it up at delivery. So that was replaced and they had nothing to say about that one.

My driver's seat, which many people have the issue with a big gap on the passenger side and the driver's side barely rubbing, service department of course said it was in spec, put "lube" on seat so if it rubs it won't be a wear spot/issue. All I know is that it is documented, so if there is a problem later, they are on the hook and not me with the "in spec" response.

Same for the Rear window misalignment. They say all Tesla's with power lift have that blah blah..when I know this is a complete lie. Coworker, and plenty of other Model 3 LR/SR vehicles with power lift for 2021 don't have this at all. Pretty obviously that if you get one piece of the glass on the roof, windshield, sunroof or rear window off, they are all going to be off. I sent them photos of my coworkers car which it is night/day. Clearly the windshield or sunroof is slightly off, to make the gaps nearly align, they put the rear window on and is is a few mm shifted to the right. No leaks though. We've had like 2ft of rain the past month since I picked it up in FL..if it was going to leak it would have happened. But...i isn't a huge issue, but again, if there are any leaks etc...I had it documented. They will need to deal with it worse case. That isn't spec.

They did fix my front bumper/quarter panel alignment issue and got it tighter and fixed the sunken door handle. Most of these things are all well documented with people and Tesla just refuses to perform and have any real quality/pride and tolerance with their product sadly compared to other "premium brand" of vehicles.

At least I did get a loaner 2018-2019, early VIN, must have been a 2018 M3 with full FSD. Realized what piece of garbage and how it isn't worth $20/month, nonetheless $200 or $10K.

You offer me Beta for $100 a month FSD, I will take them up on that. Pretty sad. So many silly things that FSD does besides trying to always stop at green lights, sketchy driving...and it is on the latest firmware...radar car obviously. Some good things though, like no auto wipers etc...otherwise...not impressed at all with FSD and what you get over regular autopilot.

Good luck.

Anyone who just picked up a 3 notice it makes a creaking sound when moving very slowly? I was testing out Summon the other day (sorta accidentally subscribed to FSD for a month, but whatever, let's call it my b-day gift. Lol) and it made these creaking sounds when creeping forward. I'm assuming those will go away as I put more miles on the car?

This should be solid weather stripping all the way through right?
View attachment 692224View attachment 692223
You can read my issue with this and Teslas response above. They say it is normal. No weather stripping. Some are aligned better and glass shifted 2-3mm left to make it center, some aren’t. Most aren’t actually. They won’t do anything about it. No stripping is there, it would help with the gap appearance though. More lack of detail and QC by Tesla.

Reactions: megansblonde