Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Result was ordering a new hinge painted to match. Two weeks to wait. Meanwhile trunk sort of works but opens at different heights each time. Seriously Tesla?
I wouldn't open it at all if you can avoid doing so. There are lots of reports of the trunk lid hitting the roof line and causing serious damage. Tesla did not think a lot of things through in the overall design and implementation

what do you mean by this comment? It is a standard implementation like any other car from the last 20 years

You can review this thread;

2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

When there's a problem with the power trunk/hinge alignment, it can close improperly and damage both the trunk and the roof panel. Some surmise that the issue is due to having the power strut only on one side, so if the hinge alignment is off or loose, the twisting forces when closing will cause it to close on the car's body.

You can review this thread;

2021 Trunk Damage Upon Open/Close

When there's a problem with the power trunk/hinge alignment, it can close improperly and damage both the trunk and the roof panel. Some surmise that the issue is due to having the power strut only on one side, so if the hinge alignment is off or loose, the twisting forces when closing will cause it to close on the car's body.
That is case with any car. There is only one power strut.

Why this misalignment is going on? Is it human error or a weak hinge?

Ok I will chime in from our DECLINED delivery on May 14.

Here is the link to the thread in the Model 3LR waiting room.

OK as this thread goes WAY to fast for me to keep up with so several apologies.....

Pics why we declined.....

These were taken in 100% sun so the red "X" was my camera limitation. SO do not take that as something on a defect at all because it is certainly NOT one.

However....the lines are VERY evident in the sun and from just about every angle. Something happened to put the flecks under the clear all across the passenger side of the car. If this was something to be "buffed" out I would do it myself but literally this is under the clear and hugely visible from every angle. I can't show it but it is even more evident when my wife looked at the driver/pax side.....Gotta love her!

The other issue is the glass. Take a look.....one side was within a millimeter and the other that I posted was like way off.
We didn't address this as we decided NOT to have the entire half side of the car re-painted from new.

So you wanted pics....here they are.

We Love TESLA....but this car VIN 227654.....needs a body repaint and anything after that is up to everyone else.

Just being honest.

And if anyone thinks the pics are just glare.....trust me they are not!

View attachment 805295View attachment 805297View attachment 805299View attachment 805300

Ok So I KNOW folks WANT their car. I get that! I TRULY DO!

But do NOT feel badly about declining a car.

You can read my story but we got notification that we "jumped the line (shark...Happy Days ref)"....so happy! (someone declined this car)

However, we took the time for both my wife and I to go over the car with a fine toothed comb. Anyhow you can look above for our issues.

I do have a recommendation though!

DO NOT ACCEPT DELIVERY UNTIL you have the opportunity to view the car on the OUTSIDE first at a BASIC minimum.

We were told that we could decline at anytime....however we already gave them a packet but I held back my cashiers check for purchase. Not a big deal but we had to go through another hour after we DECLINED to get an answer.

WE are hoping our Original order will hit sometime in the next month.

Each and every person has their own "quality standards". With the glass issues (most you don't see here) and the paint issues we felt this was not worth our money.

We were offered to have the car taken to a paint shop to fix the issues we found (again not addressing the glass issues)....I was in no way having a 58K car be taken to a body shop to have the entire passenger side repainted. Nope...was not going to happen.

To be honest, we didn't even get into the interior of the car aside from seeing it turned on.

To quote the Brady Bunch episode when Greg purchased his first car......"Caveot Emptor"

Just for fun.....

tesla1.PNG
tesla2.PNG

Posted it in my thread but I'm currently requesting my FOURTH spoiler for my 2022 M3P. The 3rd one shortly after install already began separating from the trunk and not because of poor adhesion but the 3M tape seems to just be ripping apart from the spoilers curvature pulling away from the body. It always seems to start at the passenger end then eventually the driver side does it as well.

This appointment was suppose to be that and replace my steering wheel due to the leather failing and I had an invoice stating that, he showed up today and did the install for the steering wheel and left and now my invoice just says the wheel was replaced. I asked about the spoiler and apparently it's backordered and waiting on a date now.

$64k vehicle and can't get a spoiler to stay on lol. Vehicle is 6ish month old and has had

- both tail lights replaced
- trunk realigned
- 3 soon to be 4 spoilers
- steering wheel replaced
- rocker panel falling off (no damage, literally just started falling off)
- defect under clearcoat on rear quarter

Hi guys we just rejected our M3LR because there was thin/missing paint between the panels of the bottom of the a pillars and the bottoms of both front fenders.

Am I being too picky? Should I reduce my expectations? Would you guys have accepted delivery?

I was told by the tech that if I refuse delivery a second time I will go to the back of the line. I’m feeling a lot of pressure to accept the next car.

E0729D5D-F268-48FA-A477-7CCFD0D761FA.jpeg
FB321C6D-2B4C-4352-A0A4-972B0FFAC565.jpeg
7FD03383-D679-45FA-85B1-D368519D747F.jpeg

I picked my M3P up a month ago and noticed that the trim above the rear windows were slightly lowered than the rest of the trim. I immediately put in a service ticket. Today was the day for my appointment and the service technician said that is now normal on all new model 3 and Y's so nothing was done. Has anybody else seen this on their new car?

Attachments

• 20220803_094451.jpg
    20220803_094451.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220803_094520.jpg
    20220803_094520.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 102
Hi guys we just rejected our M3LR because there was thin/missing paint between the panels of the bottom of the a pillars and the bottoms of both front fenders.

Am I being too picky? Should I reduce my expectations? Would you guys have accepted delivery?

I was told by the tech that if I refuse delivery a second time I will go to the back of the line. I’m feeling a lot of pressure to accept the next car.

View attachment 841604View attachment 841605View attachment 841607
It depends on your expectations. Personally I would have declined that as you paid for the paint and it should be correct.

I picked my M3P up a month ago and noticed that the trim above the rear windows were slightly lowered than the rest of the trim. I immediately put in a service ticket. Today was the day for my appointment and the service technician said that is now normal on all new model 3 and Y's so nothing was done. Has anybody else seen this on their new car?
Mine looks similar to that.

View attachment 841604View attachment 841605View attachment 841607

The real issue is the size of the gap. If that gap wasn't so large you wouldn't be able to see the paint missing.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff

That's how mine looks. I think that's the way it's supposed to be. It's not as tight looking as other automakers would affix pillar trim but at least there's not gaps like earlier cars.

Reactions: shodnett
The real issue is the size of the gap. If that gap wasn't so large you wouldn't be able to see the paint missing.
A lot of models 3's have paint missing on the edges of the rocker panels (It seems Tesla's painting machines don't get deep enough into that crevice) as if you look inside the gap with a light on any Model 3 you will see something similar. The problem on this car is that the fender was not aligned properly. Mine looked just like this and all it took was pulling aside the wheel well plastic lining at the bottom and loosening the 10 mm bolt behind it securing the lower fender and pulling the lower fender out so it lines up with the rocker panel and you won't be able to see the primer. Once the fender bottom is flush with the edge of the rocker panel it looks totally normal. The local Tesla body shop did this in front of me and it took less than 15 minutes to correct.

Not likely a fix on the A pillar. Also not likely a fix for the rear bumper (Post 1070) as mine was similar and the only fix is to replace the rear bumper cover as some of the bumper covers are just off at the mounting points from the supplier (like typical aftermarket fitment even though this is supposed to be OEM) and sag no matter what according to the local Tesla body shop. I chose just to leave it but mine rather than get a new painted one because there's no guarantee it will fit better and I wanted to get my car ceramic coated ASAP because the Tesla paint is so soft.

Last edited:
Picked up my LR Sat. Quite a few fitment issues. Some questions with photos.

1) Is there supposed to be large gaps on the top two trunk panel gaps, because it auto lifts?

2) Misaligned windshield. Best to leave this as fix may be too invasive?

3) Is Frunk supposed to hit wiper when open?

4) Nearly unpainted front door jambs normal? I believe so but double checking. Only visible when doors opened.

5) Panel gaps below on trunk widen out a bit at the base. Same on both sides. I didn’t submit this as it seems fine, are others like this?

6) Tesla wouldn’t even look at my list on pickup. They said it all has to be done and assessed through the app post delivery. I submitted a service ticket noting all issues were delivery day issues. Anything to keep in mind here? It says it’s in queue to get a cost estimate (?).

Everything else was clear sloppiness re: alignment issues, particularly with all lights and frunk.

(And I asked them not to wash the car.)
256C32E4-0536-4962-B84C-E0EF70E8C18D.jpeg

F280F529-6756-43CB-B3AF-9F53835FBF97.jpeg

E5E68F0D-2A05-4DEF-89B0-C9DF04E917DC.jpeg

18A16BE3-FA41-4E04-9A05-939B14A65039.jpeg

20C89F5D-9E55-4CFC-971B-78F46833DF88.jpeg

Picked up my LR Sat. Quite a few fitment issues. Some questions with photos.

1) Is there supposed to be large gaps on the top two trunk panel gaps, because it auto lifts?

2) Misaligned windshield. Best to leave this as fix may be too invasive?

3) Is Frunk supposed to hit wiper when open?

4) Nearly unpainted front door jambs normal? I believe so but double checking. Only visible when doors opened.

5) Panel gaps below on trunk widen out a bit at the base. Same on both sides. I didn’t submit this as it seems fine, are others like this?

6) Tesla wouldn’t even look at my list on pickup. They said it all has to be done and assessed through the app post delivery. I submitted a service ticket noting all issues were delivery day issues. Anything to keep in mind here? It says it’s in queue to get a cost estimate (?).

Everything else was clear sloppiness re: alignment issues, particularly with all lights and frunk.

(And I asked them not to wash the car.)
View attachment 843703
View attachment 843709
View attachment 843710
View attachment 843711
View attachment 843713

My fender is kinda painted where it meets the door. But it looks like it's just a healthy dose of overspray. My windshield wipers don't come within an inch of the frunk (how could they have possibly missed that?!). I don't have any of the gaps shown in your pictures.

This is what sucks about Tesla's delivery process. All other automakers allow potential buyers to fully inspect the car before purchasing. With Tesla you have to buy the car before learning that the frunk doesn't open all the way?! That's such a shitty way to do business.

Last edited: