Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without test drive

Would you buy a car without a test drive?

• Yea, sure, done it before, would do it again

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • No way, done it before, bad experience, learned my lesson

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes, but I'd rather not

Votes: 58 47.2%
  • No way, those people who would are crazy.

Votes: 26 21.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This car is unique enough that I'll have to test drive it, especially given the money involved. I am assuming that the test drive will go fine, and it'll just make me more impatient waiting for mine to be built :).

But, I have purchased cars without test drives. I bought my '00 Odyssey at the height of the market, when there were long waiting lists to get one. I still remember some awful dealer being catty with me when I asked about a test drive, saying " you can't test drive unless you buy it first." (they were actually even more condescending than that!). Needless to say, they did not get my business, and 12 years later I still won't go near the place. In the end, I did not get my test drive but bought the car anyway, at a much friendlier dealership (who amazingly got all my service business after that!).

I assume that reservation holders will get a chance to test drive the Model S before we commit. My wife will insist on it as well, even if she doesn't drive it very often.

/Mitch.

I really want to test drive it, but if for some reason that's not possible I have no problem proceeding without. Mind you I have a Roadster and I've ridden in a Beta so I have a pretty good idea what to expect.

I wouldn't want to choose colors sight unseen. Paint chips are useless; if I put them in order of preference, when I see them in real life I usually reverse the order! Fortunately I've already ridden in the Signature Red Beta, I want a black interior, and I know what Carbon Fiber looks like.

btw, Tesla plans to add new stores in 12 new North American markets (according to its Q3 Company Overview). . . . with these stores open, more reservation holders will have reasonable distances to get to a test drive, and the per-store load won't be overwhelming.

Yes, unfortunately they will not all be open until the end of 2013. So taking test drives at these stores in the Spring of 2012 will be nigh on impossible. Right now, we're only 6-10 weeks away (at least for the Signatures).

I'm leaning towards getting a performance model, and would like to test drive to see the difference between a regular and performance model. Also would like to see the interior difference between the two.

I don't expect to be able to get a test drive out of Tesla by the time my build number comes about, but I ought to be able to cajole one of *you* folk into giving me one, when you get your Model S ahead of me.

-- Ardie

Good point, Ardie. The Sig holders will have a hard time giving test rides to all the other forum members :biggrin:

Though my wife and I had test rides in the Roadster, we'll have to ride our Model S first. Model S will be incredibly costly in € over here! :eek:
Options I want to evaluate are air susp, pano roof, xenon lights. Not sure on the color, and want to see the aero wheels for sure.

Reality Check

Most posters seem to accept that this is a unique circumstance and/or have previously purchased cars without test driving them. There are also a few who say it's conditional that they can test drive, or their spouse must, or they want to compare options etc....

The reality is that the major existing auto manufacturers have ca. 18,000 dealerships with anything from 20-50 new cars at each one. The numbers are approximate and from various press articles but that's at least 360,000 cars and trucks standing around waiting for customers to look at. Under that old-fashioned ICE purchase system there's plenty of opportunity to compare options, take test drives etc.

Tesla has 16 stores in the U.S. right now (the ones I have seen don't have lots of space for rows of cars) and are planning on producing 5-6,000 cars this year. If you've got a low reservation number your chances of a test drive, or looking at differently optioned cars alongside each other, are going to be pretty small.

I don't think a test drive will matter. It's not like I have another EV from which to choose. While it might be interesting to compare ride comfort, handling, and acceleration differences from 60kwh to 85kwh to performance models, I feel it's more important to evaluate pano vs solid roof, audio choices, and leather quality. I'd hope to see these in person before I choose, but if not, I'm buying anyway.

I would buy it without taking it for a spin but SWMBO will not. Once they are doing test drives we're going to make a quick trip to Seattle to check it out. We'll probably go up there with my dad, who is also a reservation holder, but is a 400ish Sig so he'll get his a lot sooner than me at this point!