Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery without test drive

Would you buy a car without a test drive?

• Yea, sure, done it before, would do it again

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • No way, done it before, bad experience, learned my lesson

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes, but I'd rather not

Votes: 58 47.2%
  • No way, those people who would are crazy.

Votes: 26 21.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't they simply do an event at the track in Fremont limited to only the first 500 Signature people? Of course not everyone could make a single day or weekend or would want to. Later people would have to schedule a test drive at a Tesla store.

There is some sort of rumor (maybe on the formal Tesla board) that the first couple of hundred customers will have to take delivery without the benefit of having a test drive.

I assume that would encompass many of the SS#s and some of the S#s. Special Signatures might not care so much for a test drive since they all presumably bought a Roadster. The early Signatures will probably want a test drive. While the early Signature holders are some of the most fervent customers, the majority probably still would want a test drive since it will be their first experience with a Tesla automobile.

Personally I want a test drive to decide between performance vs non-performance and also to see the interior/exterior colors in person. It is one thing to see it on the computer or on the swatch board, but totally another experience to see it in the final package.

This was discussed in the investor thread, but is relevant here too. I think that Elon's meant that most customers (presumably on the Sig list since early-on is when there is going to be a shortage of cars to test drive), given the choice between taking delivery earlier or getting a test drive, would choose to take delivery earlier. As a result, he doesn't want to send too many cars off to be used in test drives when those cars could be going to a customer.

It's a balancing act, and he thinks that especially for the Sig list, people are on that list because they want the car ASAP. If you are on the P list, I wouldn't bother getting worked up about it.

I don't either, but that's not what I heard him say. What I heard wasn't about Sigs specifically, but about taking delivery in general. Perhaps I misheard?

With test drives beginning early summer, the sigs would need to lock in prior to test drives beginning. Folks later in the sig queue (500 and up most likely) and P people will likely have time to test drive.

With test drives beginning early summer, the sigs would need to lock in prior to test drives beginning. Folks later in the sig queue (500 and up most likely) and P people will likely have time to test drive.
Perhaps true, but again, that's not what I heard Elon say.

Edit: unfortunately, there isn't yet a transcript I can find.

Last edited:

Exactly. He didn't say "Sigs" specifically, but the issue was in the context of test rides beginning around the same time deliveries begin. We know Sigs are first, so, they were in essence talking about sigs. If you are on the P list, I won't get worked up about it. The shortage of test drives is only going to be a real problem for those that should get their cars in the summer. As production builds up they will be able to get more and more cars out for test rides.

In addition to my previous post I'm still deciding between Sig vs. Production model. I guess the premium for a Sig reservation has kind of been swept under the rug over the passage of time, but I would also like to see the final difference between the Sig vs non-Sig versions. If the main difference is a badge and a few extra strips of leather, I still may opt not to pay the Sig premium and buy a production model.

In addition to my previous post I'm still deciding between Sig vs. Production model. I guess the premium for a Sig reservation has kind of been swept under the rug over the passage of time, but I would also like to see the final difference between the Sig vs non-Sig versions. If the main difference is a badge and a few extra strips of leather, I still may opt not to pay the Sig premium and buy a production model.

Do you already have a Signature reservation? They're sold out in the US at least.

Yes I have a Sig reservation.

I see. It will be tough to determine if the upgraded interior of the Signature is worth it without seeing them side by side. I would like to see the difference too but I think early Signature people will simply have to use pictures and information from Tesla to determine if it's worth the upgrade or not. I would think Tesla could at least build 2 production quality non-drivable gliders (one Signature and one production) to put in one showroom for highly motivated people to fly to and sit in.

There's a discussion over here: Are you also investing in Tesla?

But there's also the original discussion over here: Delivery without test drive

I posted this before, and I'd love someone to explain to me how this math could work differently:

* There's some 8,000 reservations on the forum tally in the U.S. today
* That tally does not include list compression so let's say 7,000
* There are 16 Tesla locations right now
* Average >400 test drives per Tesla store

Good luck with scheduling any amount of those in a tight window. The reality is that the major existing auto manufacturers have ca. 18,000 dealerships with anything from 20-50 new cars at each one. The numbers are approximate and from various press articles but that's at least 360,000 cars and trucks standing around waiting for customers to look at. Under that old-fashioned ICE purchase system there's plenty of opportunity to compare options, take test drives etc. Tesla has 16 stores in the U.S. right now (the ones I have seen don't have lots of space for rows of cars) and are planning on producing 5-6,000 cars this year.

If you've got a low reservation number your chances of a test drive, or looking at differently optioned cars alongside each other, are going to be pretty small.

I don't think all 7,000 people will demand a test drive before accepting delivery but it's possible. It will take Tesla a few months to get through the 1,000 Signature cars so people in the production line will have some time for a test drive. It's not ideal but starting out, that's what they'll have to do I guess.

Yea, this could be tricky. Some things I really want to compare to see if they're worth the money to me. I not only need to see them, but see them side by side with their alternatives.
- sound system: can I tell the difference between regular and deluxe?
- air suspension: again, can I tell the difference in the ride or handling?