Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DeLorean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hyundai does DeLorean better.

1658713347602.jpeg

The electric DeLorean has been advertised for years. Seems like decades. Long enough that I stopped paying attention. I hope they actually make it, as it would be a cool vehicle to turn into an electric. The car is cool, always has been, but the original engine is crap. I owned and partially rebuilt a DeLorean a number of years ago; it was a fun project, but I had to sell it during some rough years where I went broke. I miss it. I wonder if the same parts suppliers are still in business.

Some good suppliers from back then:

• DMC Houston, Houston, TX - for providing DeLorean parts and information. Rating: 10/10. How may others can provide me with DeLorean parts? So far no problems with service. They get a full 10 out of 10.

• Dakota Digital, Sioux Falls, SD - for providing aftermarket sending units and digital guages. Rating: 9/10.

• MotorVac Technologies, Santa Ana, CA - for providing metric double banjo bolts and washers (for the fuel system). Rating: 8/10. MotorVac loses 2 points for not informing me of a backorder and then taking 2 days just to get me an order status. They did, however, provide free shipping, which is what kept their rating above a 7.

• Baker Precision Bearings, Signal Hill, CA - for building custom fuel lines. Rating: 9/10. Not everyone you talk to is helful, and when they say "We will call you back", what they really mean is "We will think about calling you back but will never really get around to it." However, their products are high quality.

• Juliano's Interior Products, Vernon, CT - for various aftermarket auto parts (primarily for Hot Rods) like power antennas, 3rd brake lights, and fire extinguishers. Rating: 7/10. Juliano's loses 3 points for lack of variety and high prices.

• PJ Grady, West Sayville, NY - for those overpriced yet appreciated high quality 'Zilla products, as well as other DeLorean upgrades. Rating: 9/10. PJ loses 1 point for being darned expensive.

The electric DeLorean has been advertised for years. Seems like decades. Long enough that I stopped paying attention. I hope they actually make it, as it would be a cool vehicle to turn into an electric. The car is cool, always has been, but the original engine is crap. I owned and partially rebuilt a DeLorean a number of years ago; it was a fun project, but I had to sell it during some rough years where I went broke. I miss it. I wonder if the same parts suppliers are still in business.

Some good suppliers from back then:

• DMC Houston, Houston, TX - for providing DeLorean parts and information. Rating: 10/10. How may others can provide me with DeLorean parts? So far no problems with service. They get a full 10 out of 10.

• Dakota Digital, Sioux Falls, SD - for providing aftermarket sending units and digital guages. Rating: 9/10.

• MotorVac Technologies, Santa Ana, CA - for providing metric double banjo bolts and washers (for the fuel system). Rating: 8/10. MotorVac loses 2 points for not informing me of a backorder and then taking 2 days just to get me an order status. They did, however, provide free shipping, which is what kept their rating above a 7.

• Baker Precision Bearings, Signal Hill, CA - for building custom fuel lines. Rating: 9/10. Not everyone you talk to is helful, and when they say "We will call you back", what they really mean is "We will think about calling you back but will never really get around to it." However, their products are high quality.

• Juliano's Interior Products, Vernon, CT - for various aftermarket auto parts (primarily for Hot Rods) like power antennas, 3rd brake lights, and fire extinguishers. Rating: 7/10. Juliano's loses 3 points for lack of variety and high prices.

• PJ Grady, West Sayville, NY - for those overpriced yet appreciated high quality 'Zilla products, as well as other DeLorean upgrades. Rating: 9/10. PJ loses 1 point for being darned expensive.
I know DMC Houston is still a go, in fact that entity, which bought all rights from the original DeLorean, is a 20% owner of the new DeLorean, while still remaining the sole owner, I believe, of the original.

Reactions: BigNick
DeLorean update from company:

The DeLorean team is excited to have you on this journey to bring the Alpha5 to production. This email contains information and answers to questions we have been receiving from our build-slot holders.

Along the way, DeLorean has had unexpected situations on the road to create the build-slot (NFT). Moving forward, this will not be a cause for concern, as the process is now seamless.

We have been transparent with you during our internal beta launch process.
It astonished us that traditional US banks would deny their own customers to purchase digital assets above certain thresholds through their credit cards.

We will soon be on our fifth iteration of the purchase process. Which includes creating a dedicated legal entity to facilitate new and existing users.

The DeLorean Exchange has been built and tested and was ready to go live last year. We had to postpone the launch of the exchange however until the financial processes were flawless.

The DeLorean Exchange platform creates the exclusive environment for build-slot owners to trade or sell their reservations to other Alphas Club members. This is a first for the automative world.

We now have Alphas Club members in 62 countries around the world and build-slot owners in 32 countries. Very exciting.

Next month, we will introduce all build-slot holders to the first unexpected benefit of being a DeLorean Alpha5 built-slot owner.

We are certain you will be pleasantly surprised.

We expect to release the DeLorean Exchange this spring and a definitive date will be provided soon.

Now some Q&A to address questions our Customer Service team has received to ensure you are informed.

Q| How many NFTs will be minted?

A| This has not and will not change, 9,351 Alpha5 build-slot NFTs.

Q| Will DeLorean own NFTs?

A| Yes, DeLorean owns NFT #1 through #88 for our prototypes, testing and validation fleet and a small charity and retail pre-series.

On top of that, we purchased 1,000 randomized NFTs to service export markets where Direct-to-Consumer sales will not be possible.

It seems our numbers are in batches throughout the range from #89 through #9,351 and our technical provider is working on randomizing even those.

All of this is clearly visible on the blockchain as that is one of the benefits of the blockchain, 100% transparency.

Q| When will DeLorean start marketing its NFTs again?

A| DeLorean stopped all marketing virtually immediately after we identified the payment rail issues and concentrated our efforts in supporting the hand raisers for our build-slots. Now that we have passed that, we will restart marketing efforts this month.

Thank you for your time to read through our latest information.

Should there be questions, we are always reachable by email at [email protected]

Regards,
DeLorean Motor Company

Why is a car startup spending this much time and effort on NFTs instead of focusing on their car? Especially when they haven't delivered a single vehicle yet?

Hint to the new DMC: If your NFTs are to have any chance at lasting value, it will be because of their association with a really strong vehicle from a strong brand. Build your foundation first, before getting off into speculative NFTs.

Maybe they saw Tesla's success in selling things which don't/didn't physically exist (FSD) and want in on that. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: KJD