Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ev-cpo page shows that many Model S ordered as inventory car replacements (during Q1) ended up as P90D and P90DL cars now being sent across the USA, Canada and Europe. That's a lot of high-priced inventory. If the trend of orders is for S60 and S60D (per the RBC statement) then what is the need for so many high-end cars? It seems to be a reason for the low delivery number in Q2 - lots of inventory replacement shipping and build-up. If there was a need to make paid orders wait, I'd question what the reasoning was.

The ev-cpo page shows that many Model S ordered as inventory car replacements (during Q1) ended up as P90D and P90DL cars now being sent across the USA, Canada and Europe. That's a lot of high-priced inventory. If the trend of orders is for S60 and S60D (per the RBC statement) then what is the need for so many high-end cars? It seems to be a reason for the low delivery number in Q2 - lots of inventory replacement shipping and build-up. If there was a need to make paid orders wait, I'd question what the reasoning was.

I don't think of any reason why Tesla would deliberately make paid orders wait unnecessarily. I go with the simple explanation of greatly reduced production in the first 6 to 8 weeks to fix X production quality issues, refresh of model S, and then steep ramp in the last 4 weeks of Q2.

The proof is in in-transit units nearly doubled as a result. Mind that these are specifically called out as customer-ordered cars. There is no way Tesla can fudge that.

From RBC latest report: "2Q16 results will do little to calm concerns that Model S demand has peaked. We note that the 60kWh launch should stoke some incremental demand (and we believe Model S throughput has improved, allowing TSLA to stimulate incremental demand). However, given that it is incremental (and potentially “pent-up”) demand, we suspect the mix of 60kWh vs 75kWh to favor the 60kWh version as it launches. This may negatively impact mid-3Q to 4Q gross margins before the mix “normalizes”.

What a coincidence. Generally, I don't believe what you write here. However, we are on the same page this time. I do believe 60KWh MS will take lions share as that product is just too good (upgradeable battery with minimal overage, same battery warranty, supercharger access).

What a coincidence. Generally, I don't believe what you write here. However, we are on the same page this time. I do believe 60KWh MS will take lions share as that product is just too good (upgradeable battery with minimal overage, same battery warranty, supercharger access).

A great feature of the 60 is that you can do a 100% range charge daily - since it uses a 75 kWh battery - you never hit the top or bottom of the state of charge. With a 75, most owners would probably not choose to run it up to 100%, so they would normally be treating it as a 60 daily anyway until they went long-distance.

Reactions: electracity
g. Tesla should focus on building all the customer cars first, all the X backlog, then S backlog - while they let demos and loaners wait to be shipped later in the summer. Make the reservation holding customers happy - build their cars first.
I think it's pretty important to make sure the showrooms have the current model. It gets a lot harder to refill the order backlog if they don't. So really it does make sense to send 1000 cars for marketing. ( Apparently loaners are coming out of the trade-ins / CPOs now.)
The ev-cpo page shows that many Model S ordered as inventory car replacements (during Q1) ended up as P90D and P90DL cars now being sent across the USA, Canada and Europe. That's a lot of high-priced inventory. If the trend of orders is for S60 and S60D (per the RBC statement) then what is the need for so many high-end cars?
Well, if they're *marketing* cars it would make sense. Tesla's sold an awful lot of "P"s by not having non-P's to test-drive, so that people who liked driving the P were afraid to get a non-P model. :rolleyes:.

As inventory cars, it doesn't make as much sense. But on the other hand, the "I want it NOW NOW NOW" market may be more inclined to buy the fully-loaded top-of-the-line model. (Anecdotally this seems to be the case.) So if I'm right and the inventory is intended to catch these impatient buyers, it may be deliberatedly skewed towards fully-loaded models.

Actually, the skewing of the inventory build towards top-end models reinforces my belief that this is trying to catch a particular segment of the luxury market -- the very rich and very impatient. If the inventory were not for this purpose, it would not be balanced this way.

Reactions: JRP3
They are trying to stimulate demand by introducing a lower margin product. Gross margin deterioration and the hit to earnings will be evident on the Q2 ER.

And introducing a lower cost vehicle that increases revenue at the cost of gross margin matters because? Isn't that where we're going with the model 3? And the current valuation is based on expected model 3 revenue levels?

The "stimulated demand" could last through Q3 but Q4 on, till Model 3 will be tepid.
Not necessarily. If they have a stagnant product, perhaps. But a 100 kWh battery, Autopilot 2.0, uptake on Model X, etc. will create a new demand wave. 2017 demand for S & X will exceed 100,000, easy. Add South Korea, a resurgent Germany, China getting its legs etc. and you're there.

Reactions: TMSE
Not necessarily. If they have a stagnant product, perhaps. But a 100 kWh battery, Autopilot 2.0, uptake on Model X, etc. will create a new demand wave. 2017 demand for S & X will exceed 100,000, easy. Add South Korea, a resurgent Germany, China getting its legs etc. and you're there.
I am skeptical if 100kwh would add a lot to demand since MS can now go almost 300 miles on full charge.

I am skeptical if 100kwh would add a lot to demand since MS can now go almost 300 miles on full charge.
I am skeptical too it would add a lot of demand, but not skeptical at all that it would add demand. You also have a lot of cars coming off 4 year warranties and/or 3 year leases in 2017 - some of those people will opt up.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and pGo
Why would that happen?

For Tesla to sell 100K+ S/X probably required China to come on strong. There doesn't seem to be any reason for German's to suddenly increase demand. Like everyone, they have the model 3 coming. And I assume that German's are the most interested in what the German car companies will produce.

Model X sales post model 3 release will be interesting. I assume that it will be more niche than the model S, but I really don't have a guess. As an SUV it is a polarizing design.