Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keeping it real is important.
Respecting the price action will force you to keep it real.
Nonetheless, I detect a Negative bias in your views.

Maybe 2.5 seconds is superfluous , however the extra range
That comes along with the 100d is significant .

It depends on what you focus on innately .

I am pretty sure that 90 kWh people were not struggling to make it home or to the next SC to get a charge. 100 kWh is a "finger-based" 10-factor mental point which can also give 300 miles of 65 mph driving. It's not entirely negative, it's rational. To many, rational thought is negative. It's not fun. What if our government or institutions ran on fun and not rational planning? Free motorcycles to all 16 year old boys, for example.

If the SCs currently are positioned to support 60 kWh cars, I don't know how many people were waiting to buy one until it hit 100 kWh. However, the nice thing about more cells in a battery is less draw per each cell, less heat build up and a natural increase in miles per kilogram of batteries. However, why is the addition of 10 kWh only offering 21 more miles over the 90? Chevy Volt owners are getting 40-50 miles out of Gen-1 10.4 kWh. I thought it was 3 miles per kWh for range? If range was really the concern, why not release the 100 klWh battery first in RWD and DWD form, then add P100D and then P100DL. As stated elsewhere, the extra revenue from the "high-end" car feeds down to support the company. So everyone with the means should be ordering one now. By the way, most of you probably think I am "short" the stock or something. No, I am not. I am a rational EV "advocate" who like you said, is "keeping it real". I would not try to sell my neighbor an EV of any kind (including a used Leaf for $8000 which are available at used-car dealers) unless they were really interested in that kind of thing. I know that consumers as a whole have to be educated and the EV landscape needs to go through a long-baking process before people walk into dealerships and ask for an EV en-masse. If Tesla flubs the finances (ie. buys Solar City, over-spends the bonds, whatever) then the stain it would leave if it were to fail would be pretty bad. And the press were bringing up Enron and Solyndra for years after they failed. EVs as a whole need Tesla to survive in a rational manner for longevity.

Look at what GM "said" they would have for Volt demand. In 2011 or so, they said by about 2013, they would be selling 45,000 Volts in N. America and 15,000, RoW. They came haplessly short. That kind of thing does no good for the EV landscape. And now, we await Tesla to make real the claim of 500,000 "cars built by" or "cars build in" 2018. I don't know if this is any different.

If you think my posts are rough on the company - I would expect the institutional bankers to be far stronger when dealing with management to make good with their promises made in the past. But the roughest, strongest, comments can lead to success. In fact, the more "bears" against Tesla, the more possible the success. All comments need to be taken-in by an adult board of directors and financiers and acted upon. It is not all about release parties and assuming the future will be "X". It is basically trying to understand markets and facilitate a financially-sound way of getting there. The most successful bands and tours out there have very boring business people behind them spinning up demand from concertgoers and charging as much as possible for the tickets in order to maintain the tour company and still pay everyone well.

Last edited:
Well, what I have found was that some of their ER statements like "MS net new orders were 45% higher in Q1" were inclusive of Tesla's own re-stocking of inventory/demo/loaner cars and does not "point out" customer demand due to online or in-store ordering. However, then they gave the Q2 "67% increase in net new orders, inclusive of MX" which would include many of the reservations being confirmed as "true orders" during Q2 plus MS orders (including re-stocking and Q2/Q3 inventory lay-out) When they call out "net new orders" - you think "new guy buying!" - but it appears to be "old reservation, confirming". they had already called out MX reservation quantity and now mix that in again as a presentable statement on the Customer letter. Now, we just saw 200+ European MS get added as sellable cars yesterday. Most of those Vin #s line-up as being issued 3/30/16 and 4/21. part of the "45% increase" and "67% increase" Net New Orders (see my other thread on that topic). They may discount these heavily due to their use as demo/loaner. Possibly putting miles on every car in order to cause lot-sellable lower-prices. If this is the tactic, that makes good sense as bringing prices down is the #1 selling measure of most products sold in a market. What I cannot work with is any car inventory not published online or aggregated. I've always heard that the sales folks had "special inventory lists" they could call up if necessary beyond what is online (especially before they put the new inventory up online). One of the web aggregators has mentioned that he knows of "hidden cars" in their online subsystem.

Biased? I am "cleaning" the statements made by the company which are not actually conclusive in the first place. We wonder why they now have 2-year leases. Why they have MS60, MX60. Why they have the new P100DL "stunt car" which is something not necessary to "save the world". But they do clearly state that they need people to buy the high-priced cars to support the company and effectively pay for some of the needed funds for the future. This is basically selling 101. "Ask for the sale". Who do you ask for the sale? Those with the money. Simple. This is a crafty company selling alluring cars to businessmen who themselves may be crafty.

I'm not biased - I am removing emotion from the financial rainbow.

Well said Bonaire. Many TMC folks just refused to do such fundamental analysis for their "beloved" stock.

Sometimes a poke in the eye is better than a pat on the back. Keeping it real and pushing tesla to focus on completing secret plan part uno, is not so bad. If part deux is a 10 year vision, then waiting to buy scty until m3 is rolling off the line, on time and on budget, seems wise. Conserving cash to drive down MS/MX costs and increase features more rapidly seems wise also. I'm off topic, except insofar as scty focus has hurt demand and strategic focus on tesla automotive.

There simply would be no SCTY to buy even if you waited just 6 months. I don't know how anyone could reasonably claim otherwise. It had to offer 6.5% on 18 month debt, while having a 95% sure buy offer from a liquid company with great access to the capital markets and even then there was no meaningful uptake except from 3 insiders. No one wants to lend money to SolarCity, not even if Tesla offers its inventory of cars as collateral (!!!). It's that bad and actually it's worse.

There simply would be no SCTY to buy even if you waited just 6 months. I don't know how anyone could reasonably claim otherwise. It had to offer 6.5% on 18 month debt, while having a 95% sure buy offer from a liquid company with great access to the capital markets and even then there was no meaningful uptake except from 3 insiders. No one wants to lend money to SolarCity, not even if Tesla offers its inventory of cars as collateral (!!!). It's that bad and actually it's worse.

The biggest sadness will be for those Solar City employees who have to go and look for another sales job or installers who have to go back into other roofing or electrician business if they are laid off once the companies merge. Was there even any cash set aside for paying them a severance (for those who have left and those who will surely be let go during merger)? A deal on an MS 60 lease maybe?

The biggest sadness will be for those Solar City employees who have to go and look for another sales job or installers who have to go back into other roofing or electrician business if they are laid off once the companies merge. Was there even any cash set aside for paying them a severance (for those who have left and those who will surely be let go during merger)? A deal on an MS 60 lease maybe?
SCTY set aside 3 to 5 million for severance. But I think these are for long-term employees. Don't think the contractors would have anything when let go.

To respond to some of the comments mostly @bonaire. It's not realistic to expect Tesla to outsell everyone in the luxury market last year, then double production this year and sell everything they make without changes to pricing and product line. They stated they're making good progress in figuring out how to reduce costs (labor time etc.) to make cars so they can afford to expand the product line both up and down to capture a bigger audience. It's pretty clear that all these moves were planned before, otherwise they'd simply be content with making 50K/year and wait for Model 3.

P100D have Tesla probably an order of magnitude (or two, or five) in free publicity vs. the amount of incremental R&D they had to invest to make it happen. And I'm sure that R&D result is getting reused elsewhere (Model 3), so it's pretty much *all* free publicity and a sugar-load of it. It's going to keep bringing this free publicity until someone makes an even faster car, which is unlikely to happen any time soon. All the product announcements for 2017 model year have been made from what I can tell.

However, why is the addition of 10 kWh only offering 21 more miles over the 90? Chevy Volt owners are getting 40-50 miles out of Gen-1 10.4 kWh. I thought it was 3 miles per kWh for range?

You are making a spurious argument comparing the range of the 90D to that of the P100D. The apples to apples comparison is the 270 mile range of the P90D to the 315 mile range of the P100D. Both have the large front motor that offers increased performance over there non-P variants. And Tesla will certainly introduce a 100D with an approximately 340 mile range once they can ramp up 100 kWh battery production.

Your arguments would carry more weight if you didn't cherry pick data that supports your narrative.

Actually, his arguments would carry more weight if he didn't intersperse his verbose analyses with some doozies as shown below

Biased? I am "cleaning" the statements made by the company which are not actually conclusive in the first place. We wonder why they now have 2-year leases. Why they have MS60, MX60. Why they have the new P100DL "stunt car" which is something not necessary to "save the world". But they do clearly state that they need people to buy the high-priced cars to support the company and effectively pay for some of the needed funds for the future. This is basically selling 101. "Ask for the sale". Who do you ask for the sale? Those with the money. Simple. This is a crafty company selling alluring cars to businessmen who themselves may be crafty.

I'm not biased - I am removing emotion from the financial rainbow.

What's wrong with that? It's true, isn't it? "He who makes the best deals, wins" kind of landscape out in capitalism land. 15 million more shares to the deal-makers are due to be bought by the congregation in the next few months. Tithing is important in most religions. 10% is due to be paid for.

What's wrong with that? It's true, isn't it? "He who makes the best deals, wins" kind of landscape out in capitalism land. 15 million more shares to the deal-makers are due to be bought by the congregation in the next few months. Tithing is important in most religions. 10% is due to be paid for.

Boy, you're all over the place. On electrek.co and insideevs. Always with some snide remark about Tesla's profitability, even though that's not the topic of the articles. With so much effort on VIN tracking, why the ax to grind?

I don't think you're correct. There are 100.3M Solar City shares, which will turn into 11.033M Tesla shares... that's most of the 15 million accounted for right there. I am sure that there are employee options that will automatically convert too.

I really think AP 2.0 could be major demand lever. As the public becomes more aware and comfortable with the improving driver assist systems on cars, more people will start selecting cars based on who has the best driver assist system. The overall awareness is still pretty low, even many of my more techie friends seem to be mostly unaware of the usefulness of even ACC. One of my friends just bought a new car earlier this year and I asked him why he didn't get the ACC option considering he is the ideal candidate and commutes a hour each way in socal on the freeway every day for work. He told me he passed on the option because he "never used cruise control on his cars, so why ACC?". I said i never used CC either but love ACC and i don't even have a long commute. I'm planning on waiting for M3, but if i had a hour plus commute everyday I'd sacrifice elsewhere on my budget and get a 60D just for the AP making my commute easier and more relaxing.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
I would say I would want to see $4000 less + $500 CHAdeMO adapter which would allow DCFC on other networks.

Actually - raise all car prices by $500, throw in a CHAdeMO as standard, then allow $4000 less choice to option down unlimited SC access. Think about the talks with Sheetz - those guys are already rolling out CHAdeMO at Sheetz stores in the Mid-Atlantic.

However, if you lease for 2 years, you probably don't care and then many will be leased without SC access - more sales, less revenue. A good percentage of drivers may never see an SC during their 2 or 3 year lease.

• Funny
Reactions: callmesam and Drax7