Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Car Purchase

Buy demo or new?

• Demo

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • New

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure it really is a $13.6k discount. I noticed that a lot of the adjustments were also there because of past price/option changes, so the discount is always as big as it seems. That said, if it is truly a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to get an inventory car with miles. 3200 miles is nothing,

Looking to move from a 2013 Model S to a 2017 Model X. Found a demo car with ~3200 miles that has a $13.6K discount.
Any advice from those that have gone down the same path?
A week ago I just bought a 'demo' (service loaner) 2017 X with 4000 miles. I really wanted the 2.5 AP hardware but this was a June 2017 build with 2.0. Mine had like a $13.1K discount. I went to look at it and test drive thinking I wouldn't get it ... then it was so nice and so close to what I wanted I took the deal. Ask if it can be uncorked.

He didn't say he lost the $7500 tax credit. Many Tesla CPOs with low miles do not lose the credit.

u don't know who drove it. It could be 300 people driving 100 miles on the other hand it could be 1 Manager driving 3k miles. Ask about it's history and decide. I could not live with a rental car....I could live with a a manager owned vehicle.....I think.

I agree with above. Make sure the discount is a real discount. They do a lot of “adjustments” and make it seem like a great deal but ultimately you only save 3-4K (which may not be a great deal since its the 13.5k adjustment that lured you there in the first place)

$13 K "discount" but you lose the $7.5K federal tax credit. Is it worth saving 5.5K to buy a used car that has been abused as a loner model?

Demo cars are titled as new and qualify for the full tax credit. The warranty starts on the day you buy the car.

He didn't say he lost the $7500 tax credit. Many Tesla CPOs with low miles do not lose the credit.

u don't know who drove it. It could be 300 people driving 100 miles on the other hand it could be 1 Manager driving 3k miles. Ask about it's history and decide. I could not live with a rental car....I could live with a a manager owned vehicle.....I think.

CPO cars do not qualify for the tax credit. They've been previously titled (certified pre-owned) and are not new. It has nothing to do with the mileage and everything to do with having been previously titled.

Reactions: scottf200
Looking to move from a 2013 Model S to a 2017 Model X. Found a demo car with ~3200 miles that has a $13.6K discount.
Any advice from those that have gone down the same path?

View media item 117665
My car was a demo and was an amazingly good deal at the time, a Model X P100D for under $120,000 (counting credit). This was back in July before the price changes on the P100Ds, so similar deals can be found today and not as rare.

Some people look at buying a demo similarly to buying used underwear, others see it as a way to get more car for less money.

In my case, it had 7700 miles and those are probably going to be the easiest miles of it's life. Since then it's had another 7500 miles of constant ludicrous mode launches (more from my wife than me) and some jerk (i.e. me) hauling a treadmill in it on one occasion and 20 bails of pine needles on another (only 19 inside, 1 goes in the frunk).

That said, make sure it hasn't been in an accident, inspect it for anything broken and realize that there's going to be some wear and tear.

Be very careful with the options on the car when comparing it to a new build. Ask for the window sticker if you can and compare every item to what you would want new. Depending on when it was manufactured and the options, you may be missing several now standard features and that's almost definitely factored into the price adjustment.

Reactions: VikH
Thanks all for your feedback, I confirmed with my sales person the car will be sold as new, the new car warranty will start the day I take delivery (car was built at the end of September '17).
Apparently Tesla has a fleet of demo cars in Los Angeles and this is where this demo is coming from. Since I haven't seen the car yet I don't know if it had any damage (sales person says no).
The build is 2017 position 10 = H, first two digits are 5Y.

Thanks all for your feedback, I confirmed with my sales person the car will be sold as new, the new car warranty will start the day I take delivery (car was built at the end of September '17).
Apparently Tesla has a fleet of demo cars in Los Angeles and this is where this demo is coming from. Since I haven't seen the car yet I don't know if it had any damage (sales person says no).
The build is 2017 position 10 = H, first two digits are 5Y.

I just agreed to purchase one of these LA demo cars, 100D, VIN 55xxx, 17+K discount, but it has 8800 miles in it.