Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denmark: P90D sticker price to increase 180% on Jan 1 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another interesting point is that VAT is not due in ending country if more than 6 months old and more than 6000km used! Might need to explore the CPO options in other countries where Tesla is based in the EU :)Importing vehicles into the UK - GOV.UK
"Second-hand vehicles
You don’t usually have to pay VAT if you’re importing a second-hand vehicle and the VAT was paid in another EU country.

You’ll have to pay VAT if your vehicle is classed as a ‘new means of transport’ - ie it’s less than 6 months old and has done less than 6,000km (about 3,728 miles). HMRC will tell you if this is the case.

Reclaim VAT paid in the EU
You can reclaim the VAT you paid in another EU country. Send the Certificate of VAT you receive from HMRC to the person you bought the vehicle from."

Last edited:
VAT isn't normally exempted for other products that I have bought from the EU, you pay the difference in VAT if the VAT one paid abroad is cheaper. But no customs to pay.
Didn't look into it further as want sure if I could buy the version with the steering wheel on the right side for the UK in Norway etc and bring it to the UK. If possible then will have to explore this option as the savings would be worth the driving trip

I do know that Norway had some agreements with the EU regarding trade and market access so am not sure if the non EU import rules apply to Norway regarding imports to the UK.

As per EU rules the taxes are due in the country the product was bought in the EU and not the destination country except for VAT difference.

Since Norway is part of the EU / EEA the same rules will apply all over the EU / EEA area regarding where tax is due Countries in the EU and EEA - GOV.UK

You have to remember that Norwegians do not pay vat on their EV's, so you would have to pay that.

I know for sure that when importing a Tesla from Norway to Denmark you will have to pay duty of 19% and vat 25% :)

If this is of any help:

Might I sell my Model S
registered in March 2014 in Germany
with 125.000 km on the odometer

to someone in Denmark to help them out?

I wasn't going to sell, but if I can help someone get into a MS quickly, so it be.

You will be able to do that at no additional cost to a Dane if it is registred in Denmark no later than December 31st 2015. Come January 1st 2016, there will be added registration tax based.

You have to remember that Norwegians do not pay vat on their EV's, so you would have to pay that.

I know for sure that when importing a Tesla from Norway to Denmark you will have to pay duty of 19% and vat 25% :)

It is correct that we don't pay VAT but the 19% duty is wrong, first add 10 % EU tax and then add 25 % VAT. The formula is:

PRICE_IN_DENMARK = PRICE_IN_NORWAY*1.1*1.25

I think it is possible to somehow avoid the 10 % EU tax, I suspect some has done that using a COC, it is not legal and I don't know how.

I have some experience in helping exporting Model S from Norway to Denmark. PM me if you are looking for an AWD model S and I'll try to find one, there are still some available. Of course, if you find one in a EU-country that might be less expensive because of the 10 % EU tax.

There is a silver metallic P90D Ludicrous in Norway, price about 127k Euro:
Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous als Limousine in Oslo

Last edited:
Do a lot of people in Denmark make really high salaries to off-set these crazy car taxes?

To think I was complaining about the 4% tax I have to pay in Virginia over the 3% of my last state LOL.
Nope. Same in Norway. That's one reason Tesla is gaining such a huge share of the luxury car market in Europe, because they are selling a lot of cars where close to zero people buy something like a S-Class or 7series.

It is correct that we don't pay VAT but the 19% duty is wrong, first add 10 % EU tax and then add 25 % VAT. The formula is:

PRICE_IN_DENMARK = PRICE_IN_NORWAY*1.1*1.25

I think it is possible to somehow avoid the 10 % EU tax, I suspect some has done that using a COC, it is not legal and I don't know how.

I have some experience in helping exporting Model S from Norway to Denmark. PM me if you are looking for an AWD model S and I'll try to find one, there are still some available. Of course, if you find one in a EU-country that might be less expensive because of the 10 % EU tax.

There is a silver metallic P90D Ludicrous in Norway, price about 127k Euro:
Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous als Limousine in Oslo

There is no customs duty to pay for buying goods anywhere in the EU / EEA, that is the very basis of the EEA AGREEMENT for free trade as far as I know. For this reason you can buy from any Amazon website in any EU country and you will only be charged the difference in VAT between the two countries and not VAT twice in each country. Amazon does this automatically for delivery to the UK from other EU countries even when bought from Amazon websites in the EU. I have bought numerous times like this. No customs duty payable and only vary difference charged. The same rules should apply every where in the EU / EEA areas and even Switzerland which is not part off the EEA but has some agreements giving same rights. I haven't bought cars like this though but will look into this if cheaper to buy Tesla this way.

Isn't Ireland a left hand drive EU Euro country?

Thanks for that reminder. Have been to Ireland but didn't drive there so didn't pay attention as was in Dublin city centre most of the time which is pretty crowded walking. Don't know if Tesla is in Dublin and if it is cheaper there then can drive over on the ferry! My brother in law had driven over on the ferry when he wasn't my brother in law and used to live there then but not any more.

Just to clarify this.

If you buy a used car anywhere in the EU you don't pay import-duty or VAT. But in order to get the license-plates for the car you have to pay a registration-tax up to 180% of the cars estimated value.

For a dane to drive any foreign car on danish soil is considered tax evasion and it punished by a fine of up to 2 times the evaded amount.

So there is no way around this tax no matter what you do. I know the system very well having imported several cars from around the EU for people.