Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design center now shows 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd be more inclined to agree with you if Tesla wasn't running such a big loss and bleeding cash every quarter.

I think this is partly why the S in my view is overly expensive. They have to try recoup some money.

I really think that they wished they just went with normal doors for the X. That SUV must be Driving them crazy with some form of regret here and there. X with normal doors, much less tech and so on... Is still the best SUV out there!

The 3 is so needed in survival terms for tesla. Love the idea of Tesla and would hate for them to fold

Still think the 75 should have just been a replacement of the 70 with no mark up in price. If you're in the UK you'd understand. The price rises have been sickening. Not all Teslas fault of course, but dyamnnnn!

People who bought the 70 probably weren't interested in range. However, after they've owned the car for a while they may have changed their minds and want more. Good news they can get more. Bad news is it will cost.

Please understand I'm not trying to be negative here but:
Let's look at this 600/kw rate
Then the 40kw to 60kw for 8500.00 more that's 425/kw?
Even at the 40kw rate:
A model 3 with 55kw battery-which everyone is assuming to agree upon: that would be 23k just for the battery.
Now we all know that it costs about 185/kw or under according to latest info tweets.
That's over 100% profit on just the battery pack. As an investor-that's way too much to ask for.
About a 40% profit is reasonable on just the battery pack. That comes to 75.00 a kw of profit.
So 55kw x 260/kw = 14,300.00 just for the battery pack (18,200.00 70kw). Cost would be around 10175.00.
There will be more profits to be made in options. AP is nearly 50% profit or more once you put in the hardware
costs and programming costs. At these battery price levels they need to consider 3 different packs for the model 3 as
it seems it will change the price rather dramatically.
55/70/85? or 55/65/75? With 55m of range between them it's conceivable at 15kw increments. Not so much with 10kw increments (36m).
Anyone want to chime in here with some more info as I'm finding this interesting. Price difference between 15kw should be around 6k in reality at time of purchase. Now with time still left and opportunity to lower costs still present, these prices aren't written in stone.
I would like to hear other people's opinions.

Please understand I'm not trying to be negative here but:
Let's look at this 600/kw rate
Then the 40kw to 60kw for 8500.00 more that's 425/kw?
Even at the 40kw rate:
A model 3 with 55kw battery-which everyone is assuming to agree upon: that would be 23k just for the battery.
Now we all know that it costs about 185/kw or under according to latest info tweets.
That's over 100% profit on just the battery pack. As an investor-that's way too much to ask for.
About a 40% profit is reasonable on just the battery pack. That comes to 75.00 a kw of profit.
So 55kw x 260/kw = 14,300.00 just for the battery pack (18,200.00 70kw). Cost would be around 10175.00.
There will be more profits to be made in options. AP is nearly 50% profit or more once you put in the hardware
costs and programming costs. At these battery price levels they need to consider 3 different packs for the model 3 as
it seems it will change the price rather dramatically.
55/70/85? or 55/65/75? With 55m of range between them it's conceivable at 15kw increments. Not so much with 10kw increments (36m).
Anyone want to chime in here with some more info as I'm finding this interesting. Price difference between 15kw should be around 6k in reality at time of purchase. Now with time still left and opportunity to lower costs still present, these prices aren't written in stone.
I would like to hear other people's opinions.
There is a difference between cost and price.
Cost is what it costs to manufacture.
Price is what the market will bear.
At any given price, some people will consider it reasonable, others unreasonable. Tesla continually adjusts prices in response to the market.

There is a difference between cost and price.
Cost is what it costs to manufacture.
Price is what the market will bear.
At any given price, some people will consider it reasonable, others unreasonable. Tesla continually adjusts prices in response to the market.

Tesla has always been clear that the Model S is a means to an end to get to an affordable mass market car. Profits from the S (and X) will be rolled into growth of the company. As such, I am not surprised at the high prices for upgrades like this despite the fact that the battery tech should be getting cheaper overall as things scale up. It is particularly obvious that this is purely a profit play since they already gave people the 75kWh battery and the fee is simply to activate/access the available power. I would not use these cost/kWh for Model S to extrapolate anything to Model 3.

Still think the 75 should have just been a replacement of the 70 with no mark up in price. If you're in the UK you'd understand. The price rises have been sickening. Not all Teslas fault of course, but dyamnnnn!
Completely separate issue and we've had to contend with a tough forex reality here in Canada as well. The two shouldn't be confused though.

People who bought the 70 probably weren't interested in range. However, after they've owned the car for a while they may have changed their minds and want more. Good news they can get more. Bad news is it will cost.

On the contrary, we have found our 70D is totally fine even for long distance travel. And we both have commutes (180,300 miles one way) that require supercharging. Which is why paying 3K for 19 miles seems ridiculous to me.

There are no free electrons ... Order your Tesla Model S | Tesla Motors

upload_2016-5-7_10-10-38.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lunarx
And we both have commutes (180,300 miles one way) that require supercharging.

That's one hell of a commute!

Something is wrong with the math! That's 600.00 a kw. Crazy expensive.

I don't get it. Didn't people buy 70's thinking they were getting 70's. Now they find out they actually have 75's, meaning even if they don't upgrade their batteries will last longer since they have even more at the top locked out, and one of the worst things for a lithium ion battery is high rates of charge. Plus, they can top it up faster for travel.

Yet they complain about the price, wanting the upgrade that was an unexpected pleasant surprise to be cheaper?

Amazing.

Plus no one mentions that Tesla put an extra 5 kWh in a lot of batteries that no one will pay for.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianman and GSP
That's one hell of a commute!

I don't get it. Didn't people buy 70's thinking they were getting 70's. Now they find out they actually have 75's, meaning even if they don't upgrade their batteries will last longer since they have even more at the top locked out, and one of the worst thing for a lithium ion battery is high rates of charge. Plus, they can top it up faster for travel.

Yet they complain about the price, wanting the upgrade that was an unexpected pleasant surprise to be cheaper?

Amazing.

Plus no one mentions that Tesla put an extra 5 kWh in a lot of batteries that no one will pay for.

Luckily we each do our commute only once a week. ;)

We did buy our 70 thinking we were getting a 70 and since my battery is from before the refresh, that's exactly what I have. My comments regarding the 3K for 15 miles of range are for me personally - I am certainly not speaking for any other 70 owners. To me, knowing that 70 is perfectly fine for our driving, which is a lot compared to other people in terms of regular long trips, I just don't see the value in 3K for 15 miles.

Reactions: Luke42 and Lunarx
The range increase is not about buying additional cells... it's about upgrading the cells to a new version. Hence you aren't paying for just the difference between 70 and 75 kWh, you are paying to upgrade all 6,216 to a newer version. Therefore the $600/kWh is not really an accurate way of describing it. Undoubtedly, Tesla is marking this up substantially, but not nearly that much. It looks like its about 18% increase over the older cells.

• Informative
Reactions: Lunarx and Canuck
Do you have an official source for this? The order page says "Available as an option on all 70 kWh battery equipped cars" which seems to imply pre-refresh cars may also be eligible. Maybe they tested the new battery chemistry in those cars and held reserve until it was proven? Just a guess.

That's the order page for a new car. Just because you can add the autopilot option to any car doesn't mean I can add autopilot to my 2013 Model S.