Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Flaw? White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a design flaw. It's a personal sunglasses flaw. Get a proper pair of polarized sunglasses and none of that is visible.

White dash is amazing

Best sunglasses here. Find your style

www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses?gclid=CjwKCAjwpuXpBRAAEiwAyRRPgVPCFpCG-BUIuWMO1ZqcjHBR6JiiWGyBlvGz7nZ6H-KF3LzQPM7mehoCMoUQAvD_BwE

Funny you should mention Maui Jim glasses, its what I have worn for several years and I have never noticed the reflection the OP is talking about. Great glasses by the way.

Reactions: Mr X
Silver or white on the dash is not a good idea. Too reflective.
My brother's Mazda had silver trim around the vent and its reflection on the mirror bothered him so much that he ended up selling the car.

This actually reassures me that it's going to be ok with the Model 3 dash when I get one. I've had a 2014 Mazda 3 and a 2016 Mazda 6. I haven't noticed any reflection problems at all. I guess this is sort of personal preference/expectation and body size/seat position.

Funny you should mention Maui Jim glasses, its what I have worn for several years and I have never noticed the reflection the OP is talking about. Great glasses by the way.

Nice. What kind do you have?

NEW-Maui-Jim-Waterways-Black-Aviator-w-POLARIZED-_1.jpg

I have the Waterways. I've been wearing them for the past 5 years now! First pair, the matte coating started to peel, so I sent them an email and they sent me a brand new pair of glasses for free!

I've test drove 4 different Model 3's all with white interior and no tint and I did not see that reflection of the white dash in any of the windows with my glasses on

Glare is simply non existent with a pair of Mau Jims. Best sunglasses ever. No exaggeration

Silver or white on the dash is not a good idea. Too reflective.
My brother's Mazda had silver trim around the vent and its reflection on the mirror bothered him so much that he ended up selling the car.

That's too bad. If only he had a proper pair of sunglasses. My Mazda RX-8 (which will be replaced with a Model 3 very soon) has silver trim around the vents and I see no reflection whatsoever

Last edited:

I have the Waterways. I've been wearing them for the past 5 years now! First pair, the matte coating started to peel, so I sent them an email and they sent me a brand new pair of glasses for free!

I've test drove 4 different Model 3's all with white interior and no tint and I did not see that reflection of the white dash in any of the windows with my glasses on

Glare is simply non existent with a pair of Mau Jims. Best sunglasses ever. No exaggeration

That's too bad. If only he had a proper pair of sunglasses. My Mazda RX-8 (which will be replaced with a Model 3 very soon) has silver trim around the vents and I see no reflection whatsoever

I have 3 different pairs of Maui Jim’s and I have the glare issue.

That's what i wear and the reflection is really had still.

All 3 pairs I have and my wife's and we still have the reflection issue. I can't wait to swap out the piece with something else when I save up the funds. It's not alwayse terrible but it's pretty unsafe at times.

I think I might have to pay to have mine wrapped as a single piece in brushed metal. I have a hard time with the corners when wrapping myself

Last edited:
It's a design issue with the 3. My daughter's Acura TLX has a similar issue, where the silver/brushed metal trim around the AC vents on the front sides reflect off the window right where you look out to see the side mirrors. Polarized sunglasses make no difference.

The best thing to do is concentrate/focus on objects in the mirror. That causes the reflection to blur out.

45114815-31CE-430E-8A71-01FF1F882683.jpeg

I have the Baby Beach model and love them.

Not a design flaw. It's a personal sunglasses flaw. Get a proper pair of polarized sunglasses and none of that is visible.
Agreed. I have the white interior in my 3 and have no issues with reflections. I have worn polarized sunglasses for decades when driving on sunny days. Safer and provides a more relaxing driving experience.

Agreed. I have the white interior in my 3 and have no issues with reflections. I have worn polarized sunglasses for decades when driving on sunny days. Safer and provides a more relaxing driving experience.
They really do not help, but you will eventually have the issue. I have lots of polarized sunglasses they do not fix the reflection. It gets worse when you tint your windows and the problem is not something sunglasses will fix.

But i do agree about diving with polarized sunglasses! cuts glare on the windshield and road and helps me to stay relaxed. I'm currently rocking these Whitehaven Polarized Sunglasses | Maui Jim®
I love em! Maui rose really makes those sunsets pop, even more than HD bronze.

I'm thinking about ordering this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YLFTU7E/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A10111992WJRYRFBZH9IS&psc=1

Removing the dash and wrapping it off the car.

I like the look of the white, but to many times my mirror is unusable which is not good when merging left. For some reason the far/ passenger isn't as bad, unless your in there passenger seat!

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on polarized lenses, but I know that in photography, polarized filters can reduce reflections on water and glass; however, some types of polarized filters reduce reflections only when oriented in particular ways -- you can increase or decrease the reflection seen in the camera by rotating the filter. Perhaps something similar is true of the polarized sunglasses that some people say work and some don't -- different glasses may have the polarization layer applied in different ways, some of which block the reflections and some don't. As an experiment, I suggest, when the car is parked, rotating your head (or removing the sunglasses and rotating them) to see if there's any change in the visibility of the reflection. If a polarizing layer that's mis-aligned to reduce the reflections in the driver-side window is the problem, then new glasses with an altered orientation would fix the problem -- but at the potential cost of not reducing glare that is handled by the current orientation.

Also, I tried Googling the subject, and found a quote on this optometrist's Web site that may be relevant:

Five Points Eye Care said:
Anti-reflection coating or AR coat enables better vision by decreasing reflections off of your lenses. This coating also helps your lenses "disappear" since people looking at you will also not see reflections on your lenses, just your eyes behind them.

Perhaps some polarized lenses include this separate anti-reflection coating and others don't. It might be worth investigating, for those who are having problems with reflections.

I'm not an expert on polarized lenses, but I know that in photography, polarized filters can reduce reflections on water and glass; however, some types of polarized filters reduce reflections only when oriented in particular ways -- you can increase or decrease the reflection seen in the camera by rotating the filter. Perhaps something similar is true of the polarized sunglasses that some people say work and some don't -- different glasses may have the polarization layer applied in different ways, some of which block the reflections and some don't. As an experiment, I suggest, when the car is parked, rotating your head (or removing the sunglasses and rotating them) to see if there's any change in the visibility of the reflection. If a polarizing layer that's mis-aligned to reduce the reflections in the driver-side window is the problem, then new glasses with an altered orientation would fix the problem -- but at the potential cost of not reducing glare that is handled by the current orientation.

Also, I tried Googling the subject, and found a quote on this optometrist's Web site that may be relevant:

Perhaps some polarized lenses include this separate anti-reflection coating and others don't. It might be worth investigating, for those who are having problems with reflections.
Put on polarized glasses and look in the mirror, do you still see yourself? They can reduce reflections for sure but they don't remove all of them. When the white is reflecting it's bad the glasses wont do anything.

Maui Jim's are some of the best polarized sunglasses there are and none of the 4 pairs we have will remove the refection, while they will remove minor reflections off the dash board and allow you to see into water.

Seriously? My friend said it cost him about $150... but should be easy to find out.
Maybe prices went up:
Model 3 Dashboards Replacments- Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, & White - From $295
$650 plus core charge of $250.
Also says wood insert is $200 new from tesla and white is $300, so you have to trade in your white one for the CF, pay $650, just so they can sell the white one you sent in for $370? Why would anyone buy their white one when they are telling you it's only $300 from tesla?

I'm thinking to try my hand at wrapping the white one myself. Should be easy to wrap off the car with a hair dryer right?

Ok, you guys were right about the sunglasses, and I was wrong.

With my Maui Jim's I can make the reflection go away if I turn my head sideways. So I just need to learn to drive with my head sideways! Or buy yet another pair of expensive polarized sunglasses that have some different angle of polarization? Typically I find turning my head to the left with sunglasses on makes monitor screens go from hard to read, to blank out completely, (not on my laptop though). This means they monitors be polarized at something like a 45 deg angle or maybe it does not mean that dunno? Maui Jims do cut the glare on water and roads so I would assume they are properly polarized but the glare from the dash is probably coming from a different angle.

So then, which manufacturers are making sunglasses that are model 3 compatible?

I'd prefer glasses lenses over acrylic as I tend to get acrylic lenses scratched pretty quickly.

Maui Jim Polar Broken Arrow | Maui Jim Clip on Sunglasses Broken Arrow