Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers With Fees

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Have you used a destination charger with a fee? I did recently just to test it out. It works similarly to Supercharger fees. The one I used only charged $0.08/kWh (local utility rate I believe is $0.065/kWh). They only had the minimum of 6 connectors installed. I'm curious what others might be charging.

yes, I've done this. I ended up paying $2.70 for about 2.5 hours of charging. That seemed like a fair price. The destination charger was in a mixed use shopping/residential area. I looked it up and they have pretty steep idle fees to keep things moving. That worked out to about $.15/kWh which is about half the residential rate locally.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Recently played golf @ Cordevalle in San Martin, CA - extremely surprised to get charged by Tesla $14.30 for 26 kw/hr. $0.54/kWh
The fees are determined and charged by the site owner--the country club in this case. It's just that Tesla handles the billing for these sites.

no signage, no warning, just charged - seems illegal to me...
I do wonder about that. Surely there would need to be some state laws in various places about advertising of prices for things before charging fees for them.

The fees are determined and charged by the site owner--the country club in this case. It's just that Tesla handles the billing for these sites.

I do wonder about that. Surely there would need to be some state laws in various places about advertising of prices for things before charging fees for them.

I'm pretty sure it tells you in the vehicle what the destination charger fee is. The same as a supercharger.

I would think that it does, but I didn't want to start off finger pointing at the OP, since I wasn't sure.

The one example I've used worked exactly like a supercharger. It's my understanding that in order to charge a fee for electricity it has to be a member of the Destination program and those show up in the navigation software.

Curiously, I've also used exactly one Rivian Waypoint and that was months ago and it STILL isn't in the official Rivian map. And by the way, those things are awesome. I'm sure the hardware is prohibitively more expensive than Tesla's commercial wall equipment, but they're also clearly superior.