Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forgive me if there is another thread, but I am amazed at the progress of destination chargers. Here in the USA we have passed 1800 locations with a destination charger. Way to go Tesla and with an adapter even Roadsters can use them :)

I counted 1,830 locations by going to US Tesla Destination Charging | Tesla, right-clicking on the page and selecting "view page source," copying the result into a text editor, and counting the instances of /findus/location/charger/ (which is part of the link address for each location).

Note that's NOT the same as the total number of plugs, since some locations have multiple plugs, although I'd guess that most locations only have 1-2 plugs each.

and with an adapter even Roadsters can use them

Have you tried? In Europe at least, the units installed under the destination charging program appear to have software that prevents them being used with non-Tesla EVs. Speculation is that it uses similar handshaking to Superchargers to enforce this, which would probably block out Roadsters too.

Of course in N.America you have the different shape connector so other makes can't easily plug in and they may not have bothered with the software lock-out.

Have you tried? In Europe at least, the units installed under the destination charging program appear to have software that prevents them being used with non-Tesla EVs. Speculation is that it uses similar handshaking to Superchargers to enforce this, which would probably block out Roadsters too.

Of course in N.America you have the different shape connector so other makes can't easily plug in and they may not have bothered with the software lock-out.
Yes it has worked with 4 different chargers now.

• Informative
Reactions: arg
So I was making a reservation for a couple night stay at the Grand Canyon next year. (Even outside the main tourist season, it's advisable to book lodgings well in advance.) I called the Best Western Premier just outside the Park in Tusayan, AZ, where they have two Tesla chargers. I wanted to make sure they were still in operation and good working order. After all, there aren't many options for charging in the area.

Generally speaking, a hotel's EV chargers are for guests only. The front desk person I spoke to said the hotel was well aware of the scarcity of EV chargers around the Grand Canyon. She also told me the hotel will accommodate ANY Tesla owner that needs a charge and not staying at the hotel. Naturally, guests get first preference but Tesla owners staying elsewhere are welcomed to use their charges if available - no charge. That's what I call a Tesla Friendly Hotel. Hats off to Best Western! Noting how things change, I would still call ahead to make sure their offer stands.

So I was making a reservation for a couple night stay at the Grand Canyon next year. (Even outside the main tourist season, it's advisable to book lodgings well in advance.) I called the Best Western Premier just outside the Park in Tusayan, AZ, where they have two Tesla chargers. I wanted to make sure they were still in operation and good working order. After all, there aren't many options for charging in the area.

Generally speaking, a hotel's EV chargers are for guests only. The front desk person I spoke to said the hotel was well aware of the scarcity of EV chargers around the Grand Canyon. She also told me the hotel will accommodate ANY Tesla owner that needs a charge and not staying at the hotel. Naturally, guests get first preference but Tesla owners staying elsewhere are welcomed to use their charges if available - no charge. That's what I call a Tesla Friendly Hotel. Hats off to Best Western! Noting how things change, I would still call ahead to make sure their offer stands.
That's awesome. The Best Western in Gig harbor, Wa does not let you use their chargers unless your a guest there. In fact, they don't care if you buy stuff at their store (which I did) either. They actually turn the chargers off and only turn them on once they verify you are a guest. This was the first time I saw this.

That's awesome. The Best Western in Gig harbor, Wa does not let you use their chargers unless your a guest there. In fact, they don't care if you buy stuff at their store (which I did) either. They actually turn the chargers off and only turn them on once they verify you are a guest. This was the first time I saw this.
Hotels install EV charging stations to attract guests driving EVs. While a hotel may be nice and let someone else charge there in an emergency, you shouldn't expect them to be available to the general public. Hotels are in the business of renting rooms, not facilitating EV travel.

Hotels install EV charging stations to attract guests driving EVs. While a hotel may be nice and let someone else charge there in an emergency, you shouldn't expect them to be available to the general public. Hotels are in the business of renting rooms, not facilitating EV travel.
I agree. I am not complaining, only pointing out the difference in my local Best Western versus the one Sharkbait visited.