Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never had to use any of the "Destination Chargers" that are on the Tesla map. However, I am taking a trip in a week where I may need to use one. Do these chargers have the appropriate Tesla plug, or do I need my UMC, or adapters.

Thanks,
Dave

One thing to be aware of is that the Destination Chargers are often reserved for customer use. If they are at a hotel, you may need to stay at the hotel to use it. If they have a restaurant, then dining at the restaurant might be sufficient. In other words, don't count on being able to use the Destination Chargers unless you are actually a customer. There are some locations where this doesn't apply but you should research first so that you aren't surprised when you arrive.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I have never had to use any of the "Destination Chargers" that are on the Tesla map. However, I am taking a trip in a week where I may need to use one. Do these chargers have the appropriate Tesla plug, or do I need my UMC, or adapters.

Thanks,
Dave

Check the Tesla Destination webpage

Check PlugShare.com , search for San Simeon which is where you will have to leave your car near the Visitor's Center for the bus ride up to the Hearst Castle.
TheTesla Destination Connectors ( HPWC) are open to the public as well as a number of Clipper Creek EVSEs ,you may want to bring your UMC Kit with the J1772 adapter just in case the Tesla HPWC are occupied and there is an open Clipper Creek which will be J1772.

There are pics of the chargers on PlugShare.

Have a good time, I know we did quite few years back, before EVs.

If you just need a charge, most hotels will charge you $15.00 or $o. They understand the odd circumstance if you just need enough miles to make it to the next Supercharger etc. They are not insensitive. Most have a policy for this sort of thing. Just be hyper aware if a hotel guest needing the charger pulls in. Stay with your car, communicat with the overnighted so they’ll know when you’re done charging etc. We all know the rules, and need to always try to avoid such situations.

Be aware, that Tesla's destination charger database can be out of date, and frankly, I think the Tesla staff sometimes just guess at how many kW the chargers will deliver. Not surprising since Tesla doesn't own, maintain or create the policies for specific sites. PlugShare can often give guidance from previous visitors experiences. Know that some Tesla's Model S/X lack the dual charger or upgraded charger to fully test the range of power that a Wall Connector (WC) can put out. Some errors I've personally experienced:
  1. WC fails to deliver the rated kW (even when other WC in the set are unused);
  2. WC count is less than advertised (maybe the hotel owner moved one to his private garage);
  3. WC doesn't exist (this happened at one near my house -- If I hadn't reported in Plugshare.com, it still might be a 'surprise')
  4. WC is in one of the failure modes (well, that probably will never appear in the Tesla DB - unless they move to a next gen 3 WC).
Expect these errors to be more frequent when the WC is 6 or fewer months in the Tesla DB. Best practice would be to call/ask, especially if a customer to the hotel, a) Can you reserve a spot for me when I arrive at X:00PM? b) has anyone successfully charged on the WC(s)? Having a couple positive entries in plugshare.com can be a big help.

One more thing. Bring a traffic cone. You will want to stick it in the space if you check-in, and then drive off to dinner or some other event and are returning late. In California, don't be surprised if another Tesla takes the place of the cone. I use mine to keep the space from being ICEd, and my hope is that if some other Tesla/EV took the spot, they'd give a phone number (on dashboard) so I can arrange orderly sharing of the congested spaces.