Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destroyed by Audi RS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I annoyed some guy in an RS4 tonight by safely accelerating past him to take a right hand turn, which he also wanted to take. He might have been dozing at wheel or picking his nose and I guess he wanted to be in front because as soon as we straightened up he torched my acceleration leaving me in the dust. He must have been doing 90 or so on a surface street somewhere in front of me.

Mine is but a humble S70D, and I'm wondering... do particularly high HP ICE cars still smoke P90s or P100s regularly out there on the streets?

Please share.

I annoyed some guy in an RS4 tonight by safely accelerating past him to take a right hand turn, which he also wanted to take. He might have been dozing at wheel or picking his nose and I guess he wanted to be in front because as soon as we straightened up he torched my acceleration leaving me in the dust. He must have been doing 90 or so on a surface street somewhere in front of me.

Mine is but a humble S70D, and I'm wondering... do particularly high HP ICE cars still smoke P90s or P100s regularly out there on the streets?

Please share.

Had some P models for my loaners over the years... most recently Insane P85D...

It's not the car, it's the driver. I'm conservative with my acceleration. I'll get to the speed limit (35-45 or whatever) on surface streets in no time. However, if the other car decides to go faster than speed limit, that's not the car, that's the driver.

Reactions: Cyclone
I have beaten Audis BMWs subarus and corvettes at a red before. In have a 90D. I'm sure some of the BMW can out run me but they obviously don't know how to change gears fast enough. LOL.

It is fun but I just accelerate up to speed limit + 5mph and stay constant from there on. Most of the cars would eventually catch up and pass me but at the end of the day I know I have beaten them up to the speed limit + 5mph.

Haha, this is funny. Saying you rushed to the speed limit +5 and let off, and thought that you beat the other car is pretty lame. Just like ricer cars would flash their hazard lights when they "raced" to 45-55 mph. Who wants to "race" to the speed limit +5?
I am sure I can beat them to 60 but I don't want to get ticket. Not worth the cost. If you want to race them to 60mph them go for it. I think ill stick with the speed limit + 5mph.

Btw most roads I have "raced" on are 45-50mph speed limit. Meaning I go up to 50-55mph before I stop accelerating.

I don't race on anything lower than 35mph speed limit. Too quick and no fun.

I dropped in front of him and slowed to match his speed and as I hit the turn I powered up so as to not lose traction decelerating on the corner. After the turn I slowed again, which he took as a chance to show me some stick. Speeding back up on the straight as he switched over to my left side annoyed him more, but usually I can stay ahead of these Jetta shaped cars no problem.

Despite it being a 70D my power up on this straight kept me ahead at least some of the distance... then yes, I guess the upper gears win.

The question remains, would this outcome still have happened if I was not in the embarrassing 70D but in a P100?

would this outcome still have happened if I was not in the embarrassing 70D but in a P100?

You are fine up to 30 against an RS4 anyway ... both are around 1.7s.

Depending on year RS4 is about 4.4s 0-60 mph, and Quarter mile in 12.9

An "S" 90D will do 4.2s 0-60 mph, let alone a P or a 100. Dunno about the Quarter time in an S90D but a P90D is 11.7, so somewhere around a 90 is going to be enough :)

The RS4 my wife had was quick ... the kids dined out on the fact that when it was nicked the police had to scramble a helicopter because they didn't have anything that could catch it!

The RS4 my wife had was quick ... the kids dined out on the fact that when it was nicked the police had to scramble a helicopter because they didn't have anything that could catch it![/QUOTE]

There's some similarities to 70D with both of my BMW 645i and 650i over the last decade, middle gear shift the 6ers could blitz anyone and I felt pretty good until a meek dude in a subie with a monte carlo engine ruined my shorts. Stll the 650 (and the 550 I had after it had a much smoother ride than the S70D.

My dad has an '05 GTO 5.7 litre ute (like el Camino), it's a demon, cept in Australia speed cameras watch you race and ticket you from the camera as you do it. So he goes 0-60KM/s in -3 seconds and giggles himslf stupid.

STILL, smoked by an Audi FOUR. I feel I should just drive back to costa mesa and leave my keys at the gate never to come back.

• Funny
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
I dropped in front of him and slowed to match his speed and as I hit the turn I powered up so as to not lose traction decelerating on the corner. After the turn I slowed again, which he took as a chance to show me some stick. Speeding back up on the straight as he switched over to my left side annoyed him more, but usually I can stay ahead of these Jetta shaped cars no problem.

Despite it being a 70D my power up on this straight kept me ahead at least some of the distance... then yes, I guess the upper gears win.

The question remains, would this outcome still have happened if I was not in the embarrassing 70D but in a P100?

No. This would not have happened in a P100D as there have been examples of it reaching a quarter mile trap speed in excess of 120mph.

But a lot would depend on how far you were willing to push it on a public road.

Ludicrous, when it was first made available in the P85D as a retrofit and in the P90D as an option, improved highway passing capabilities, or performance from a roll.

Each of those cars with "just" Insane would have handled the Audi.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaff and davidc18