Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destroyed by Audi RS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i live in an area where there are a lot of people with more money than sense, and usually use that money for hopped up luxury cars.
i always drive with the rear camera in the top position and on several occasions i have noticed m5's, hot audis, and japanese "racecars" snaking through traffic trying to catch up to... something. funny part is when they get into eyeball range of the P90d badge they calm down and drive normally. its pretty funny to watch, because its almost always when the car fills the rear facing camera when in the other lane.

*Nods Emphatically*. I've only had my P90DL for a few weeks now, and have noticed this happening so much already, mostly from ZL1/GT350/Hellcat owners who come into town. I've noticed, at least out here in the desert, that folks that own fast luxury cars don't feel like they have something to prove (and might even own Teslas themselves).

I don't race, but it's sure nice on those occasions in this city where 2 lanes become 1 immediately on the other side of a traffic light to know that I'm going to be the one to get that lane.

I did have an entertaining exchange with the police recently though. He pulled up beside me and motioned for me to roll down the window, I did, and he said "so, gonna show me ludicrous mode?" With a big smile on his face. I explained that my car's too old for that, but I did give it a quick burst of power when the light turned (less than a second of pedal down time) which got him to give a good laugh as he passed (and a friendly wave).

Reactions: davidc18 and Canuck
Just a note that about 5,000 pedestrians are killed by drivers in the US each year. Someone walking in the US is over 12 times as likely to be killed by someone driving a car as someone in Europe.

And then there's this

Fatality-chart-for-website-16v3.1-600x316.png

A couple of years ago a guy in our neighborhood hit and killed a kid riding his bicycle. The driver committed suicide about 5 months later leaving a wife and three school age kids. Getting a ticket is pretty mild compared to killing someone.

It's not the racing. But after driving four years in a quick electric Tesla, you get used to getting up to speed in just a couple seconds.

What bothers me is when I'm second. All these inefficient gas cars with multiple gear ratios take a good quarter to half mile to get to 35 or 40. Why? Because that's about all they can do. We creep up to the speed limit or +5 simply because their car will not go any quicker. Any time I'm in front, I look back a half mile to check on them as I go thru the next light.

I'm not in a hurry. But why accelerate like a semi truck?

Just a note that about 5,000 pedestrians are killed by drivers in the US each year. Someone walking in the US is over 12 times as likely to be killed by someone driving a car as someone in Europe.

The large majority of pedestrian accidents are with people walking along side of a mid speed road at dusk. That's because we allow it. In Europe, they don't allow pedestrians to walk along the roads between towns. At least, they didn't when I was there.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

The Europeans actually have a mass transit system that works and they also prohibit vehicle traffic in some of their denser cities. List of car-free places - Wikipedia.

Speed kills, but so does stupidity, note that 34% were drunk walking.

Who is getting killed in pedestrian crashes?
A detailed breakdown of the age, gender, and location of pedestrian crash victims is available from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) fact sheets. Some of the more noteworthy trends or numbers are:

• 70 percent of pedestrian killed in 2014 were males.
  • Almost three out of every four pedestrian fatalities occur in urban areas (73 percent).
  • More than a quarter (26 percent) of all pedestrian fatalities occurred between 6 and 8:59 p.m.
  • 47 is the average age of pedestrians killed in 2014, and 37 is the average age of those injured in 2014.
  • 34 percent of pedestrians killed had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
  • 14 percent of drivers in a pedestrian crash had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 g/dL or higher.
  • California (697), Florida (588), and Texas (476) lead the nation in total pedestrian fatalities.

In Europe, they don't allow pedestrians to walk along the roads between towns.

Don't think that "not allowed" is correct [in UK] ... but I very rarely see anyone walking a road between towns. However, in places where we have a sidewalk alongside the road (between towns) then there is (almost always) a speed limit on that road too - even if all there are only corn fields on both sides. Of course that pisses the motorists off because you probably drive it all year and only see a pedestrian on one occasion ...

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
so i live in an area where there are a lot of people with more money than sense, and usually use that money for hopped up luxury cars.
i always drive with the rear camera in the top position and on several occasions i have noticed m5's, hot audis, and japanese "racecars" snaking through traffic trying to catch up to... something. funny part is when they get into eyeball range of the P90d badge they calm down and drive normally. its pretty funny to watch, because its almost always when the car fills the rear facing camera when in the other lane.

LOL.. A P85 badge is usually enough!

It's not the racing. But after driving four years in a quick electric Tesla, you get used to getting up to speed in just a couple seconds.

What bothers me is when I'm second. All these inefficient gas cars with multiple gear ratios take a good quarter to half mile to get to 35 or 40. Why? Because that's about all they can do. We creep up to the speed limit or +5 simply because their car will not go any quicker. Any time I'm in front, I look back a half mile to check on them as I go thru the next light.

I'm not in a hurry. But why accelerate like a semi truck?
Now, now. Give them a break, they're driving efficiently.

LOL.. A P85 badge is usually enough!
I got honked at at a stoplight today by a guy in a pickup wanting to know if it's as fast as they say. Didn't have time to get into the "there's like 5 models faster than this one now" talk, but you're probably right. It's generally not obvious to the average person that there's a difference given they all have identical exteriors.

This reminds me of when I was a teenager and given my parents minivan to use. I'd race every car at the red light. They wouldn't know I'm racing them, because the minivan goes 0-60 in about 100 seconds, but every car I'd race! I'd lose every race, but hey, a minivan is faster than walking!

I thought it was going to be someone with a PxxD/PxxxD getting spanked by the RS4, but a 70D? Not really surprised.

• Funny
Reactions: alexdav
given my parents minivan to use. I'd race every car at the red light. They wouldn't know I'm racing them, because the minivan goes 0-60 in about 100 seconds,

Dunno if you can access it from across the pond, but Guy Martin's program Speed would be worth a look. He entered the Nevada Open Road Challenge in his Ford Transit van - in the 150 MPG Average class!

Speed with Guy Martin - On Demand - All 4

There's a trailer on YouTube

Guy tried for the 400 MPH record on a motorbike (Bonneville salt flats) later in the series, and previous series have included world records for furthest distance in 24 hours on a tandem, fastest gravity-only downhill speed, I think the world record? for riding a motorbike across water and a bunch of other utterly daft stuff!

Reactions: Max*