Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Details Model 3 interior walk-through

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an owner of a Tesla vehicle and a stockholder, I am entitled to my express my opinion as a consumer.

I'm always grateful to read opinions by people who are even smarter than Elon Musk.
Elon Musk is not an expert or trained in all things... Even he would acknowledge that.

I would advise you should no longer participate in Tesla forums. Simpleminded comments to strangers you do not know add zero value to the forums.
No, he has merely been running two of the most exciting innovative companies going. The arrogance that some people have when they truly believe they know better on some aspect of running a company is astounding to me.

You forgot to add "US versions of" German cars. Honestly, how do all of you manage to break down with expensive repairs just out of warranty? Never happened to me or anyone I know. Then again, we don't have the kind of "warranty" you get in the first place. But cars over here in general (German or otherwise) seem to be much more reliable than cars in the US. I wonder why that is so.

About the Model 3's features, is it certain that it won't have FM radio?
If so, it would come close to a dealbreaker to me. How else do you get to listen to the radio. How do you get the TP traffic warnings?
Maybe because we don't have an Autobahn for German cars to get their "exercise."

As to the M3, it DOES have FM radio. It will NOT have AM radio. There is no evidence that even the PUP version of the audio system will include XM.
And, there is no evidence that the FM radio will receive HD (multiple digital subchannels).

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
I agree with this. Moving from any one car to another initially requires one to take their eyes off the road momentarily (if not longer) to find controls that are not located where one expects them to be, or that look different or operate differently on different cars. I experience this every time I pick up a rental car.

As for going from buttons and knobs and switches to a touch screen, it won't take long until your personal motor control system can move your hand to the location on the screen where your brain has learned that the various controls are located. Yes, the lack of feel for the shape of a knob or button or switch means that a quick glance is required to confirm that the finger is at the correct spot, but based on my experience with the touchscreen functions in my car it is a very quick glance, even less than the time it takes to check a side-view or rear-view mirror before returning one's eyes to the road ahead.

I think some people are blowing smoke. Most others are reasonable concerned about adjusting to a new system of how things work, but adjust they will, quickly, when they start doing it.

My current late model car does not have rain sensing, and I have to look at the twist stock every time I adjust the wipers. Amazingly I have lived to tell about this experience. The Tesla screen will be much easier to adjust then a twist stock.

This concern about various elements on the UI shows that people are reluctant and resist acceptance of anything that is different and new. It might be best to try using the UI first before jumping to a conclusion. ...

This concern about various elements on the UI shows that people are reluctant and resist acceptance of anything that is different and new. It might be best to try using the UI first before jumping to a conclusion. I have no doubt that I will love how the UI works on the model 3 because it is a step into the future of FSD.

No, it just means I haven't drunk the Tesla kool-aid, and I read the model S forums and consider that fact that a year on they still haven't got rain-sensing working, auto headlights are still a bit iffy, and myriad other things are a bit wonky to say the least. Tesla does not do completion/ finishing well.

At this stage if it was practical i'd be more interested in buying a tesla battery and drive train package and putting it in the chassis of a Honda to escape all the Tesla knows best gimmicky bulls**t.

Fascinating. Must have a look whether my car has that as well. Have never heard of such a device/setup.

It does. It's been years since I've had my e46 coupe, but I believe it's a manual lever around the shoulder area. It's just the lever you pull to recline the seat forward really fast so people can get in and out of the rear. The rear passenger can pull it too, if they need to get out. It's not located way down in the front (like the manual seat controls) or sides (where the power seat controls are located) so that it would be very difficult for the rear passenger to reach.

No, it just means I haven't drunk the Tesla kool-aid, and I read the model S forums and consider that fact that a year on they still haven't got rain-sensing working, auto headlights are still a bit iffy, and myriad other things are a bit wonky to say the least. Tesla does not do completion/ finishing well.

At this stage if it was practical i'd be more interested in buying a tesla battery and drive train package and putting it in the chassis of a Honda to escape all the Tesla knows best gimmicky bulls**t.
It is obvious the model 3 is not for you. You have posted numerous objections. Maybe Tesla will build a futuristic car in the future, more to your liking. Time to move on.

It is obvious the model 3 is not for you. You have posted numerous objections. Maybe Tesla will build a futuristic car in the future, more to your liking. Time to move on.

You mean maybe they will build a car that is simply has an electric drivetrain with normal non-gimmicky impractical bulls**t controls? I can only hope. I will wait till I see an actual production vehicle in February, then decide whether to cancel my reservation for the model 3.

For the first time in a long time, Jaguar leads the way with an electric E Type.
Robin
e-type-ev.jpg

Based on common sense. Having to take your eyes off the road to adjust your wipers is just plain stupid. And since the rain detecting autowiper feature has been promised to model S drivers for 2? Years and still no sign of it i'm not holding my breath for Tesla to ever get that right without adding a proper rain sensor.

I can see another way the existing model 3 stalk would be much more practical IMO than what was seen in the video. Touch the wiper button on the end of the stalk and for the next 5 seconds the scroll wheel(s) on the wheel become wiper/washer controls. That would keep the anti-button/knob minimalists happy, and mean you would not need to take hands of the wheel or eyes off the road to turn the wipers on or adjust speed.

I thought about this some more, and after seeing the latest detailing video of the interior, it occurred to me that the trackball controls could easily be programmed to activate the wipers.

For example: right hand trackball could activate slow wipe by scrolling up 1 notch, activate fast wipe by scrolling up an additional notch.

As far as I can tell, each steering wheel control has a center scroll wheel, and the sides of the trackball can be pressed left and right. I assume there is some “enter” or “select” method.

Last edited:
Given the customizable nature of the steering wheel controls, I think people may want to withhold judgment until general public orders are shipped and reviewed.

Even for a person like me who is used to customizing mouse buttons and Apple trackpad options, it didn’t occur to me that the Tesla controls could function similarly. I was blinded by the convension of fixed function physical controls in every car I’ve owned.

I thought about this some more, and after seeing the latest detailing video of the interior, it occurred to me that the trackball controls could easily be programmed to activate the wipers.

For example: right hand trackball could activate slow wipe by scrolling up 1 notch, activate fast wipe by scrolling up an additional notch.

As far as I can tell, each steering wheel control has a center scroll wheel, and the sides of the trackball can be pressed left and right. I assume there is some “enter” or “select” method.

Yep, and with a decent HUD (*dons flameproof suit*) displaying icons for which mode each scroll wheel was in you could have a great range of controls that you could use without taking hands off wheel or eyes off the road. *shrug* Maybe it'll happen when the Model 3 gets its first interior facelift. Or maybe Tesla will be able to come up with a decent voice recognition system that makes it all redundant.

The problem I have with all these new fangled systems (eg voice recognition) is that when they are perfected, they might well be the best thing since sliced bread, but when they are at the 95% or less level they become major pains in the backside which ruin your whole experience. Google maps voice recognition on my phone is one example, the theory is great, but the chances of it working correctly (particularly with Maori place names) is so low I no longer bother with it.

It was already pulled and deleted by uploader because it had personal info, this is censored reupload he did after.

The same with video before - it was deleted because it was filmed without consent. Worker's right to privacy it something impossible to understand by some people...

…but you said you had no more words: Details Model 3 interior walk-through

• Funny
Reactions: Matias