Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Device Offline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Power Wall was installed before Tesla required combined their solar and Power walls. I have 3 Power Walls that have run and worked normally for about 3 years. Yesterday I say it went offline and all the App provides is Scan my code ( with what and why is not explained) or enter my TSN and Password which I there but I'm afraid of making things by messing without any instructions. So I waited an hour on hold by Tesla just to be told I could have a call back when a support person became available. I never got that call but it appeared to be working today so I assume someone at Testa did something.

Then it went offline again and I thought before trying to get support I'd ask if anyone here could give me some ideas or a different path to get a support person.

My 3 Powerwalls and Gateway are on a Google wifi extender and everything worked for 3 years. The Extender is in a window about 30 feet from my Gateway. I'd appreciate any help or ideas as I'm sure this issue has come up before.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help. Tesla sure could use a much better support system for its Powerwalls. I'd also like any feedback on any downsides to joining the virtual power for PG&E in Sonoma as getting a good explanation is also difficult o get because there are many variables. thanks!!

Tom

There is an extensive discussion here on the merits and reliability of WiFi, WiFi extenders, and Gateways. Worth searching and reading, I think.

Does your router have a static IP address for your gateway, and does your WiFi extender follow it? If the answer is anything other than "yes", you have your problem identified. Most WiFi extenders change the address to a different subnet. Some WiFi extenders let you reserve addresses within the extender's subnet; if you can, you should.

Bottom line, I do not think I would recommend putting a Gateway on a WiFi extender. I think that your alternatives are a) run Ethernet to it, b) put in an access point (not an extender!) close, or c)get a more powerful WiFi for the house that makes it to the Gateway.

All the best,

BG

Upvote 0
My Power Wall was installed before Tesla required combined their solar and Power walls. I have 3 Power Walls that have run and worked normally for about 3 years. Yesterday I say it went offline and all the App provides is Scan my code ( with what and why is not explained) or enter my TSN and Password which I there but I'm afraid of making things by messing without any instructions. So I waited an hour on hold by Tesla just to be told I could have a call back when a support person became available. I never got that call but it appeared to be working today so I assume someone at Testa did something.

Then it went offline again and I thought before trying to get support I'd ask if anyone here could give me some ideas or a different path to get a support person.

My 3 Powerwalls and Gateway are on a Google wifi extender and everything worked for 3 years. The Extender is in a window about 30 feet from my Gateway. I'd appreciate any help or ideas as I'm sure this issue has come up before.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help. Tesla sure could use a much better support system for its Powerwalls. I'd also like any feedback on any downsides to joining the virtual power for PG&E in Sonoma as getting a good explanation is also difficult o get because there are many variables. thanks!!

Tom
I have two homes with Powerwalls. Neither is on a wi-fi extender, and both drop off the network occasionally. They always come back, so I'm not too worried about it, and I assume it's a bug that will eventually get fixed.

Upvote 0